Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Missouri or Oklahoma more southern?
Missouri 27 25.96%
Oklahoma 77 74.04%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Yes "technically" accorrding to the US census bureau, MD AND DE are part of the south, but very people say this. According to a study done by UNC Chapel-Hill, over 80% of Marylanders and Delawareans do not consider themselves southern. The only people you come across who genuinely claim to be southern are from the sparsely populated southern eastern shore, or else are "wannabes" who love country music and desperately want to fit an image. I think using the western panhandle of MD to show MD's southerness is rather facetious. It has what, 1/20 inhabitants of the state? 4/5 people live in central MD which is decidedly more like NJ. I would love to be a southerner over a northerner, but am trying to be honest here. I have never heard a white person in MD sound as southern as some of the videos imbored posted, and would be lying if I said I did.

If you want to see the real testament, look at all of the threads talking about southern cities and the south in general. Maryland and Baltimore are virtually never brought up, but in discussions about the northeast it is the norm to include Baltimore, DC, Delaware, and MD. Maybe it's that 90% of people are wrong as you say, or maybe the census bureau and M-D line are horribly antiquated.
There isn't a southern accent in Maryland like there is in missouri. In Missouri there are legit southern accents. Go to anywhere in southern Missouri and it's virtually indistinguishable from the Arkansas accent. The other poster has no proof to back up what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 07:41 AM

62 posts, read 112,454 times
I've got no bone to pick here but I will say this... I've done photography throughout the south (including the Missouri Ozarks). Southern Missouri resembles the south quite a bit more then the Midwest and I found the majority of people I ran across there do consider themselves southerners through and through except for some in Springfield who have bought into "the south is bad" image that their chamber of commerce has tried to paint because of some of their history. But I'm sitting here looking at Springfield going man, y'all need to get out more if you think this is what the Midwest is like. Can't run from who you are.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Are you kidding me? One of them goes as far north as the Iowa border and southern Nebraska. The other is not even north enough to be Midwestern. Oklahoma.

Though I don't classify it as "Southern" but rather "Southwestern" like Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. "Southern" is more like, swamps and leafy trees. Oklahoma is more western and part of the great plains.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:55 PM

62 posts, read 112,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbythegraceofgod View Post
I've got no bone to pick here but I will say this... I've done photography throughout the south (including the Missouri Ozarks). Southern Missouri resembles the south quite a bit more then the Midwest and I found the majority of people I ran across there do consider themselves southerners through and through except for some in Springfield who have bought into "the south is bad" image that their chamber of commerce has tried to paint because of some of their history. But I'm sitting here looking at Springfield going man, y'all need to get out more if you think this is what the Midwest is like. Can't run from who you are.
This was in response to the Maryland/Missouri comment.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 AM

60 posts, read 35,224 times
Boothill can seem like small towns in Mississippi . People in the boothill are southern as it gets believe me . Levies cotton fields Delta crawfish and stuck in the middle of Tennessee Hennessy And Arkanslaw Arkansas . Shoot it looks everything Delta in boothill . I lived in Tulsa and it's straight cowboy south not southern like boothill . My question is which is cooler ? Cowboy south ? Delta south or south east coast . Ozark south Appalachian south . Which Some Areas of the south could be let's say in the Delta and down the road from Ozark .. It's how ya look at it . According to Google the most southern place on Earth is Delta thick .. Thick bc it's so southern in the Delta even the boothill is super southern . If you heard the average boothiller you would think he was in the deep South bc there accents are very charming and Twangy To me there more southern then Oklahoma north Carolina Virgina . Also there are few and far between butt still yet some there are more Southern then people in Parts of Arkansas and Tennessee and I'll throw a etc in there . Butt just talking about the boothill alone . 🍻🍻🍻

Last edited by Johnny cash town; 03-07-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,489 times
Oklahoma. Missouri is like maybe 20% Southern - max. Oklahoma is closer to 30-40% Southern, IMO.

Missouri is pretty Midwestern, with some Southern flairs in the accent, as well as the culture of the Bootheel and some of the Ozarks.

Oklahoma is where the South, Midwest, and Southwest/West come together. It's much more blended than Missouri, culturally, is literally farther south, and has more traditional Southern characteristics - especially anywhere south of 44 and east of 35. There are parts that are very Midwestern, and parts that are very Western/Southwestern, but a larger part of the state has that heavy Southern influence. I'm surprised so many people picked Missouri. The only real Southern trump card Missouri has over Oklahoma is it's history of slavery (when Oklahoma was Indian Territory).

Last edited by IowanFarmer; 03-07-2019 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-07-2019, 09:07 AM

Idk about that . Oklahoma folks are very polite with southern hospitality and southern foods and amazing sweet tea . There accents tho ... 20% of em have them . I have to also add while I spent a year in Oklahoma that the people are as country as it gets . The younger cowboys in Oklahoma are so kind it kills me . The COWGIRLS on the other hand ya might wanna be careful with em they are a little more on the wild side🤘🤘 As you would expect Oklahoma is a Bible belt state full of cowboy Churches . They will make ya fell like your at home if ya let em 🐿️

Old 03-07-2019, 09:36 AM

1,235 posts, read 942,032 times
Definitely Oklahoma though there's less of a definite Midwest-South line and more of a mixed area west of the Mississippi River.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:10 AM

It is funny tho that people in the east coast think there more southern . I think being closer to New York makes ya more a Yankee . This being said Oklahoma is only close to cowboy **** not Yankee **** which starts in North Carolina . There's alot of Yankees . Haha 😱

Old 03-07-2019, 09:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
I've heard people north of St. Louis sound no different than people in AL with lighter accents which is actually not uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.