Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times

Advertisements

New Orleans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Bible Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-23-2015, 09:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Cities oriented around biblical ways of living do not necessarily have to be in the "Bible Belt". The "Bible Belt" in the US refers to a region dominated by a particularly strident version of Protestantism.

Maybe you could put OKC and Tulsa down for buckle cities?

Old 01-23-2015, 10:05 PM

372 posts, read 449,954 times
I would say New Orleans definitely is a hole in the belt

Old 01-23-2015, 10:34 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I would say New Orleans definitely is a hole in the belt
No more so than (from East to West) Charleston, Savannah, Athens, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Houston, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio... to name a few.

Traditionally and historically though, N.O. was probably the original "hole in the belt". I think that these days, the bible belt mainly only exists in rural areas and a few very small cities.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
You could consider parts of Nashville as holes in the bible belt but remember one of Nashville's biggest businesses is Bible publishing! I wonder how you'd classify East Nashville which is becoming a Hipster Mecca but you till have a lot of traditional AA households who tend to be religious.

Which brings me to the subject of assuming Democrat /= bible belt. That totally ignores the AA population which tends to be both Democratic and religious. Or white people like me who are Democrats and attend church regularly.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Here is the current survey on cities that are "Bible-minded".

The Most and Least Bible-Minded Cities in America | American Bible Society
There are some oddities in that list. it combines some cites that aren't in the same MSA or CSA.
The most glaring is how it combines Asheville, NC with Greenville & Spartanburg SC. I don't know how you can ever consider these to be the same area.
Similarly, it combines Fayetteville with Raleigh-Durham. The Triangle is all about higher ed., tech and biotech while Fayetteville is a military town.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
There are 2000 residents in Eureka Springs, but over 3/4 of a million people visit every year. It is a very well-known hub of the arts and alternative culture, with tons of events, music venues and entertainment establishments nestled in the Ozark hills. (There's a little bit of a "what happens in Eureka..." vibe.) So yeah, it's not as famous as Austin or Ashville, but it's an obvious "hole in the Bible belt" if you know about it.
I would never classify eureka springs as a hole in the Bible Belt. It is a liberal little town, that's it. It also has the great passion play which is a huge draw for the town. There is also a huge statue of Jesus in the town. The county is overwhelmingly baptist.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:05 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Though Catholics have an even BIGGER bible than Protestants - LOL!
True, but Catholics don't depend on it as their sole source of spiritual knowledge. Despite whatever other ways the Catholic church is seen as being stuck in a era of long ago, The intellectual tradition and the Tradition with a large "T" has made the Catholic church more quick in accepting a 4.5 billion year old earth, the fact that our biological diversity have common ancestors (notice how I was careful to use the word "evolution"), and NOT to take any of the Old Testament talk of fire and brimstone too literally.

Understand that I am not suggesting that Protestants don't have an intellectual tradition, or that I am equating fundamentalism with mainline Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc.

But overall, the more structure a mainline Christian denomination has, the more they have the institutions that can take scripture with a "grain of salt" when it conflicts with reason.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Lafayette is a bastion of Catholicism so its technically a hole in the belt but still highly religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.