Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the worse winter?
Pacific Northwest 14 14.89%
Northeast 80 85.11%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:53 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely prefer the Northwest winter myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 02:08 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
If people knew how pleasant the NW is, there would be many times the current population. But seriously, the myths and stereotypes are amusing. Here's a list of the cities with the highest rates of suicides, and you'll notice that most of them are actually in very sunny places. The 10 Most Suicidal Cities in America - Insider Monkey

Anyway, I just returned from a week in NY and PA and it was miserable. Here in WA this week (and a decent amount this winter) it's been sunny/partly cloudy with highs in the 50's and lows in the 40's- the patios and beer gardens have been hopping! Do I miss a little snow once in a while? Yes, and a variety of weather patterns can make things interesting, but I can always drive up and see it and not have to be inconvenienced by it.

Anyway, gotta scoot. My wife and I are going to go eat outside and plan hikes for the weekend. It's gorgeous out there!

Sunset over Bellingham Bay earlier in the week:

Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Because you can still go outside.

There's nothing pleasurable about driving on ice and fearing for your life every morning, or shoveling three feet of snow a week, or standing outside for no longer than 5 minutes because of frostbite.
The Northeast isn't normally *that* cold. The entire Boswash sees average highs above freezing. Washington DC for example is not that much colder than Olympia in the winter and is warmer than cities like Spokane and Bend.

New York City is above freezing about 60-70 percent of the time during daylight hours even in January. It's not the North Pole you think it is.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 02-20-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
If people knew how pleasant the NW is, there would be many times the current population. But seriously, the myths and stereotypes are amusing. Here's a list of the cities with the highest rates of suicides, and you'll notice that most of them are actually in very sunny places. The 10 Most Suicidal Cities in America - Insider Monkey

Anyway, I just returned from a week in NY and PA and it was miserable. Here in WA this week (and a decent amount this winter) it's been sunny/partly cloudy with highs in the 50's and lows in the 40's- the patios and beer gardens have been hopping! Do I miss a little snow once in a while? Yes, and a variety of weather patterns can make things interesting, but I can always drive up and see it and not have to be inconvenienced by it.

Anyway, gotta scoot. My wife and I are going to go eat outside and plan hikes for the weekend. It's gorgeous out there!

Looks beautiful to me. I remember when I extensively researched the PNW in the past and there was definitely beautiful scenery. Oregon has a few smaller cities that I really like, as does Washington.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
The Northeast . . .
Forget 50 Shades of Gray, PA, NY, etc are 100 Shade of Gray! Dark, cold, dismal ~ ooO00oF
The last year I lived in Vermont, we got 2 FEET of snow on Easter day. Winter seemed like it would N E V E R end!
Theres not enuff Prozak . . .

Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Ahahahaha, the PNW winters are a joke, average lows in the 40's highs in the 50's. some drizzle, very cloudy. NE is blizzard after blizzard
More like lows in the 30s, highs in the 40s on average, but maybe that's changing. I think people overrate how different PNW winters are from Northeast winters though. Portland is below freezing about 8 percent of the time; Washington DC about a quarter of the time. That's a noticeable, but not huge difference. This year is exceptional in the sense back east is getting pummeled with Siberian air while the Pacific Northwest is practically having a Hong Kong or Tampa styled winter. Hell I got bit by mosquitoes the other day on Hawthorne!

Old 02-20-2015, 03:01 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
PNW. Seattle and Portland are among the nation's leaders in suicides, so that only tells you how depressing their colder months are.

If you're prepared for them, cold and snowy winters can be kinda fun, if you're into sports like skiing, ice fishing, hockey, etc. But of course they're not for everybody.
The cities with the highest suicide rates are mostly Sun Belt Cities. Constant sunshine will drive you mad...

The 10 Most Suicidal Cities in America - Insider Monkey

Old 02-20-2015, 03:02 PM

170 posts, read 235,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post

Just as this years Northeastern winter is unusual, so is this year's PNW winter. Unfortunately, yearly averages don't add up to this picture you are attempting to paint.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
PNW. Seattle and Portland are among the nation's leaders in suicides, so that only tells you how depressing their colder months are.

If you're prepared for them, cold and snowy winters can be kinda fun, if you're into sports like skiing, ice fishing, hockey, etc. But of course they're not for everybody.
that's actually a myth and not true.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:14 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagsNJ View Post
Pacific Northwest winters are mild but cloudy and drizzly, whereas Northeast winters are cold and snowy (lately, bone-chilling arctic blast ****ing cold).

Where I live, I would honestly take a winter in the Pacific Northwest in a ****ing heartbeat, no contest.

So tired of single digit temperatures, month after month. So tired of snow literally every day (thanks lake-effect). The sun has been out probably two weeks worth of time since ****ing November.

There is snow. Every. Single. Day.

Every. Single. Day.

Seriously, **** Upstate New York.

I may just quit my job and by a plane ticket somewhere warm for the next 600 years.

I can't fathom how some people think a Florida summer is worse than an Upstate NY winter. No way. I feel amazing when its 90 and humid.
Hi fellow upstater. You read my mind, I'm dangerously close too running away. I don't even leave the house anymore unless it is completely unavoidable. I just want to be able to go for a freaking walk without requiring three layers of clothing. I miss the sun and warmth. I want to kayak and swim and play tennis and ride a bike.

I loathe any and all activities that require being in temps below 50f. People tell me to embrace winter- I've lived here 35 years I'm well aquantited with every winter activity there is and the only one I like is sitting in the hot tub....... Inside the hotel....... With alcohol.

Im seriously struggling this year, its been one of the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.