Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Baltimore has several. Washington Village (Pigtown), Curtis Bay, Brooklyn/Brooklyn Park, among others.
Brooklyn Park =/= urban
Curtis Bay, Pigtown = yes
There's also Westport, though it's not as white. Those areas totally contrast with the "white L".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 01:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I very surprised by this, as it doesn't seem to remotely fit current conditions. Could things have changed that radically since 1980?
Since Detroit has declined drastically in recent decades, more so that almost any other large city, I would expect radical change.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Pittsburgh has some neighborhoods that are somewhat isolated and have an Appalachian company town appearance, but it's more like a dense, yet rural and working class feel. Go to any city of any size throughout the Appalachians and you will see this and sometimes such places will appear in a rural area standing alone.

Cities such as Johnstown and Altoona are not large cities, but they are somewhat dense and predominately working class, white, and poor. Many Pennsylvania cities tend to follow that pattern, with the nicer areas in the surrounding townships. However, the poverty in more diverse in the eastern cities (Reading, Lancaster, York, etc.), with more Hispanics and Blacks included.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Delray is/was another area of SW Detroit with a relatively high White population.

SW Detroit has had a good sized Black population for a while too.

The schools in that area of the city had Black, White and Hispanic students, which I believe it still does to some degree.
Yes, definitely. It was traditionally a white area, but also one that had blacks. Never had an exclusionary feel, but was (and is) very tough.

Also, it's not really a white ethnic area. It's Appalachian whites or super poor whites who never left for the burbs. Not similar to the Irish or Italian enclaves common in the East Coast cities. SW Detroit never had that ethnic solidarity thing going.

Detroit did have tough white ethnic neighborhoods too, including some that were racist, but they're long gone. The East Side of Detroit was mostly white ethnic (usually Polish, Italian or German) and strongly resisted integration. At some point in the 1970's, though, there was a tipping point, and the East Side basically went from white to black in about five years.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:14 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Pittsburgh has some neighborhoods that are somewhat isolated and have an Appalachian company town appearance, but it's more like a dense, yet rural and working class feel. Go to any city of any size throughout the Appalachians and you will see this and sometimes such places will appear in a rural area standing alone.
I know what you mean to a certain extent. A lot of the hilly neighborhoods which have become blighted, losing much of their housing stock, have heavy forest growth and feel like they're in the middle of nowhere now. These can be black, white, or mixed neighborhoods. Somewhere like this is a good example.

That said, there are plenty of poor white areas which still feel pretty dense. Spring Garden, for example. Or portions of Allentown.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:15 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Since Detroit has declined drastically in recent decades, more so that almost any other large city, I would expect radical change.
Yes, good point. The reason I was a bit surprised for SW is because it hasn't changed that much, at least in terms of appearance. Most of Detroit has changed radically over the years, but SW is kind of isolated and off the grid.

SW was already very "ghetto" 30 years ago, with abandonment, decay, gang problems and the like. There were interracial (but mostly white) gangs roaming the Springwells corridor.

The shift from majority white to majority Mexican was very gradual. Really the only obvious visual change is that the retail corridors (Vernor and Springwells) shifted from shady old man bars to cheap taquerias (but the old man bars are still around) and the dumpy groceries became dumpy supermercados.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Indianapolis has plenty of low income white neighborhoods in the city, though not urban by the standards of many metros.
In the mid 1960's, a horrible crime occurred on 3850 E. New York in Indianapolis in a deplorable house. It was the Sylvia Likens crime where Gertrude Baniszewski along with her own children and some of the neighborhood children tortured Sylvia to death.

That area was described as very poor in the 1960's and many broken homes and stories of despair. Gertrude's family was from rural Illinois and Iowa but she grew up in that area of Indianapolis. I looked up the demographics of that area of Indianapolis and still seems to be very poor and predominately white. I did a Google search of that area and looks very depressed, more so than places in the poorest sections of the South.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Btw, the two poorest census tracts in South Boston have median incomes of $16k/year and $27k/year. The third poorest, $83k/year. The projects drag two census tracts down; but back in 1980 the difference between the project wasn't quite as stark. The big east-west contrast in wealth in South Boston (with a big increase in income going east) is mostly gone. % with children has steeply declined as well, but even in 2000 pre-gentrification it was lower than demographically similar Quincy / Braintree / Weymouth.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, good point. The reason I was a bit surprised for SW is because it hasn't changed that much, at least in terms of appearance. Most of Detroit has changed radically over the years, but SW is kind of isolated and off the grid.

SW was already very "ghetto" 30 years ago, with abandonment, decay, gang problems and the like. There were interracial (but mostly white) gangs roaming the Springwells corridor.
Yea, I don't know much about Detroit. I did a few random streetviews of the area. Most blocks looked intact but often a bit rundown, though there was sometimes a few houses missing. Clearly less dense than South Boston in built form, but without abandonment and housing fully occupied it would be somewhat dense, those houses looked packed together and there's some 2 family homes mixed in.

My interpertation, is that both South Boston and SW Detroit declined in the 1970s and were at nearly the same level in 1980. South Boston stabilized, SW Detroit continued to decline. One big contrast between the two cities in 1980 was that the greater downtown area of Boston was among the wealthiest parts of the city 1980; in Detroit, among the poorest.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know what you mean to a certain extent. A lot of the hilly neighborhoods which have become blighted, losing much of their housing stock, have heavy forest growth and feel like they're in the middle of nowhere now. These can be black, white, or mixed neighborhoods. Somewhere like this is a good example.
One block over looks like it's ok shape. Though the houses are surprisingly new looking. Or is it just the vinyl siding?

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4622...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.