Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
No offense, however one question... Considering this thread's negative topic, why did you deem it important to mention an area of a city which, by your own admission, you know next to nothing about, then go fishing for supportive responses?
Seeing that you live in Cincinnati you could easily contribute to the thread by either confirming what I said as being true, that there are indeed some lower-income white areas on the West End of the city, or if you believe what I heard was wrong you can correct me and explain why. I wasn't signaling out Cincinnati, I mentioned areas in Columbus and Philadelphia as well earlier in the thread that fit the thread's topic. Like I said, if you have a problem DM me and we will handle it, otherwise stay in your lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Seeing that you live in Cincinnati you could easily contribute to the thread by either confirming what I said as being true, that there are indeed some lower-income white areas on the West End of the city, or if you believe what I heard was wrong you can correct me and explain why. I wasn't signaling out Cincinnati, I mentioned areas in Columbus and Philadelphia as well earlier in the thread that fit the thread's topic. Like I said, if you have a problem DM me and we will handle it, otherwise stay in your lane.
No need to DM you - I clarified my concern well enough when I nailed you for the transgression of dragging Cincinnati under the gun in such a negative thread, then imprudently soliciting other forum members (including Cincinnatians!) to fill in the dirt. Truly a case of bad form.

Better yet, why was it necessary to respond at all to this thread, wherein even the OP, himself, virtually apologized for it in his opening remarks, then abandoned the entire scene after his Post #75, 2-28-15? Why the need to pile on negative upon negative, with nowhere to go, but downhill?

Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Human View Post
Have there been any projects housing white residents in any city besides South Boston?

I know there was public housing for whites in new Yorrk City, but it seemed to be aimed at middle-class whites rather than low-income.
NYC's public housing is 4% white.

There is subsidized housing for middle income folk, that's not considered public housing though.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:04 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
In metropolitan Atlanta, most of the poor White people I've found are in the outskirts of the metro. Atlanta proper, I've mostly seen hipsters, yuppies, and middle-upper class types among the city's White population.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Human View Post
Have there been any projects housing white residents in any city besides South Boston?

I know there was public housing for whites in new Yorrk City, but it seemed to be aimed at middle-class whites rather than low-income.

Where i live in Akron there are a few projects that i seem like they may have a white majority but have large amounts a white people regardless.

and a few areas that are section 8 housing that are majority white for sure.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,205 times
*also in my first comment i was wrong bout the population a akron not that anyone probably cares, but its not 300k, its 200k

Old 08-10-2016, 05:46 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsbugh still has a few of these, which shouldn't be too surprising, given we're one of the whitest cities in the country. Less white flight means a fair number of slummy looking white neighborhoods.

Some photos from an acquaintance of mine.

Spring Garden
East Deutschtown
Spring Hill
Esplen
These are some great pictures BTW

Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 PM

824 posts, read 712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I know in South Omaha and adjacent Council Bluffs, Iowa which has a fairly heavy-poor white population there were alot of poorer, young white adults who lived with parents or family in mediocre, old homes.

It is the same thing in West Louisville, Hilltop in Columbus and East Des Moines with large white populations:
Ummm, South Omaha and Des Moines' East aren't that white outside of a couple of neighborhoods. South Omaha is mostly Latino. The East Side of Des Moines is more mixed with a lot of majority white areas but they are in the outer ring. The inner ring has a lot of Latino neighborhoods and 1 black neighborhood. These areas are very racially mixed though.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 1,929 times
This is definitely something that is changing as I write this but there is still a substantial number of poor white Irish residents in a Bronx neighborhood called "Bainbridge" by the white residents and usually "Norwood" by black and latino residents.

I would classify the white people living there as "poor" but in New York City, "poor" is really more of a labor/working class. It's so expensive here that even people living in the projects have Mercedes and the women walk around with Gucci bags. New York City's generous social programs enable the legal non-working class to live pretty much the same or better as the "working class" so they end up being equally "poor". However, I don't think you can compare poor New Yorkers who have actual residences, to other poor Americans. Really poor people here are homeless.

Morris Park is rapidly losing its white population but, again, they are there, though most of the whites who can get ahead will at least move to Pelham Parkway, which is on the upper-crusty side, for the central Bronx, anyway.

In Queens, I think Astoria has a healthy population of poor white folks but most of them could be middle-class if they sold their homes and most do. Also, Middle Village is very low-working-class" and has some poor white residents, though it's very mixed as well. Basically, you won't find any "poor" areas in NYC that are completely white just as you won't find any "rich" areas that are totally white.

Last edited by ManBx; 09-28-2016 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 AM

159 posts, read 269,416 times
Research Dundalk Maryland, also parts of South Boston and North east Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.