Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

I started learning French in High School as I was closer to Canada than Mexico, then I found out they speak Quebecois. Later, when I was stationed with the French Battle Group, about all I remembered was that I could I understood when they were insulting me.

I was told I would be stationed in Bosnia, so I learned Russian before I left thinking it would be a common language...NOT. Those guys did NOT like Russians, so I had to learn Serbo-Croatian.

I have always been a fan of WWII movies, so I picked up enough German over the years to be functional when I actually got there.

When I was stationed in Japan I wasn't there long enough to really pick up the language, but I could find my way to the train depot/a restaurant/bathroom.

Several years later, I never run into people that speak the languages I learned, and just like anything else, if you don't use it you lose it.

I had a Russian customer come in the other day, and it took a while to get back into understanding them so we could conclude our business.

Learning a different language isn't that big a deal if you want to just be functional, but as far as development and mental acuity, you can get most of the same benefits through a good music course and that will provide a lifetime of enjoyment as you don't need someone else to enjoy it.
Language, unless you use it or hear it a lot, is forgotten, and unless you travel or mingle with people speaking the language in your community or work, the benefits long term are pretty minimal.

JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 01:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I started learning French in High School as I was closer to Canada than Mexico, then I found out they speak Quebecois. Later, when I was stationed with the French Battle Group, about all I remembered was that I could I understood when they were insulting me.

I was told I would be stationed in Bosnia, so I learned Russian before I left thinking it would be a common language...NOT. Those guys did NOT like Russians, so I had to learn Serbo-Croatian.

I have always been a fan of WWII movies, so I picked up enough German over the years to be functional when I actually got there.

When I was stationed in Japan I wasn't there long enough to really pick up the language, but I could find my way to the train depot/a restaurant/bathroom.

Several years later, I never run into people that speak the languages I learned, and just like anything else, if you don't use it you lose it.

I had a Russian customer come in the other day, and it took a while to get back into understanding them so we could conclude our business.

Learning a different language isn't that big a deal if you want to just be functional, but as far as development and mental acuity, you can get most of the same benefits through a good music course and that will provide a lifetime of enjoyment as you don't need someone else to enjoy it.
Language, unless you use it or hear it a lot, is forgotten, and unless you travel or mingle with people speaking the language in your community or work, the benefits long term are pretty minimal.

JMHO.
Totally agree. As I said earlier, this is a large country bordering only two also very large countries, one that speaks predominantly English and also French and one that speaks Spanish. Many Americans live far from both borders, so it's not like they're often exposed to Canada and Mexico, going there frequently and getting the chance to use those languages. This isn't Europe, where countries are small and bordering many others with different languages, and where vacationing within other nearby countries, where you can go and get a completely different cultural experience, is common. It's just different in the US, most people have no use for another language and will wind up losing the ability to speak it if they don't get the chance to often enough.

Of course I encourage those who want to learn another language to do so and I see the importance in it, but I don't think it's necessary for the majority of Americans. They're just not exposed enough to most other languages. Most useful in the US would probably be Spanish.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:31 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why?
To understand stuff

Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Before people think they have a need to learn a foreign language, they should first learn how to speak English with correct pronunciation of words and using proper grammar.
Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Because it's an amazing, beautiful planet, full of different people, cultures, climates, landscapes, topography. It's the best thing we've got. It's the only thing we've got is this amazing planet of ours....Seeing the world will teach you, it will open your eyes...it will develop skills u didnt know u had, gives u adventures, gives u perspective, it will challenge you....

.. the question should be ...why the hell not? Why would one NOT want to see what this world has to offer?.... the only answers that come to mind are laziness, ignorance, and just plain old indifference.
How about because i am a home body, i like to live frugal and i am comfortable at home....

I have no problem with those who travel abroad, as long as they aren't one of those snobs who looks down on people who don't travel and personally attacks them... those people i do not like.

Nothing wrong with staying at home, traveling with in your own country where you are comfortable.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:35 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How about because i am a home body, i like to live frugal and i am comfortable at home....

I have no problem with those who travel abroad, as long as they aren't one of those snobs who looks down on people who don't travel and personally attacks them... those people i do not like.

Nothing wrong with staying at home, traveling with in your own country where you are comfortable.
You and I have different ideas of what life is all about then... I can't help but think that to willfully close ur mind off to the world in which u live is incredibly close-minded. but hey....diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Because it's an amazing, beautiful planet, full of different people, cultures, climates, landscapes, topography. It's the best thing we've got. It's the only thing we've got is this amazing planet of ours....Seeing the world will teach you, it will open your eyes...it will develop skills u didnt know u had, gives u adventures, gives u perspective, it will challenge you....

.. the question should be ...why the hell not? Why would one NOT want to see what this world has to offer?.... the only answers that come to mind are laziness, ignorance, and just plain old indifference.
Very well said! Could not agree more!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Would be scary to have a democracy with voters who wouldn't even know this I think democracy can only work with educated citizens, otherwise politicians can feed them anything.
Which is pretty much what is happening right now. I'm a native and I'm embarrassed. Too many Americans are happy to be lazy, dumb and uncultured. I talk to people outside the US daily, and it's embarrassing the image we have left on others. We are viewed as dumb, and I can't argue with it. There is simply no argument against it. "Why?" Yea, why learn? Why become smarter? Why be prepared? pfft. Most American's can't name all 50 states on a map. Most American's know nothing about other Countries or their people. So it's no surprise they can't see the value in learning a 2nd language or traveling outside the US.

But Americans think that things will never change and they are completely content sitting on their sofa's watching netflix or playing xbox as life passes them by. If our economy collapses (and the way our governement is pissing the world off - that's a reality whether anyone likes it or not) or something major happens that disrupts or bursts the bubble so many are living in, you're going to see panic. When you don't understand the world outside your town, and you only know what your lying government has told you, how are you going to handle that?

I don't know when we developed it, but I see it in so many things. And that's the mindset of "I'll do something AFTER it happens." Example: Had a roommate who was terrible about leaving the doors unlocked. "But no one has ever broken in." was his excuse. my response: "What good is locking the doors AFTER you've been robbed?"

Old 03-06-2015, 12:48 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
One doesn't absolutely need to be bilingual to get a job in Los Angeles.
In nursing and service jobs. Employers look for Bi-Lingual speakers. I see job ads looking for bi-lingual speakers all the time on Classifieds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.