Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,689 times

Advertisements

After considerable research, I realized there is a lot of debate whether America needs to be multilingual or not. The neuroscience researches have shown a tremendous benefit: learning a second language not only improves learning and cognitive skills, it also showed improvement in the brain's executive functions, such as planning, solving problems and performing various other mentally demanding tasks.

I am debating whether its worth my time and money to have my children placed into a Foreign Language Immersion School ?

Everybody sees the obvious benefit. And yet, our society seems to be standing by: "We are in America, speaking another language is not necessary". Any thoughts? Appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Learning another language is a good idea if you have the ability to use it if not its a waste of time, for example if you are English and live in a predominantly Spanish speaking community learning Spanish is a great idea,on the other hand if you are English and the nearest Spanish speaking community is a thousand miles away then learning Spanish IMO is a total waste of time.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,689 times
Thank you jambo101..Very helpful. I am a linguist myself, speaking four languages. I have always been amazed by how people react every time I tell them I speak four languages: a "wow" factor, usually. And yet, no one rushes to broaden their cultural horizons (because this is what you get on top of learning the language, you also learn the culture) or have their children educated in this area. They'd rather have them placed in STEM, Art, Taekwondo, to name a few, and such classes, but I have never heard anyone ever since I am in the States ('06) to express interest in Foreign Languages area...
Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 PM

74 posts, read 98,853 times
I would definitely put my child in a foreign language program. I, personally, would love to be fluent in another language.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:09 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,002,815 times
I would only do it if the child was interested and motivated. We'd all like to do many things, art music,sports, etc...

Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,232,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4edu View Post

I am debating whether its worth my time and money to have my children placed into a Foreign Language Immersion School ?

Everybody sees the obvious benefit. And yet, our society seems to be standing by: "We are in America, speaking another language is not necessary". Any thoughts? Appreciated...

If your kids will are interested in learning a foreign language and won't fight you every step of the way.

As far as it not being necessary to learn a foreign language... who's to say? It's a changing dynamic in the world economy and the English first/English only speakers aren't necessarily at the top of the hill anymore and may never be again. Personally, I've never heard anyone say that learning a new language is a waste of time - it's usually the opposite.

Besides, what's wrong with learning something just for the sake of learning it? I'm (slowly) learning a language which I'll probably never use but I'm enjoying the experience none the less.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4edu View Post
After considerable research, I realized there is a lot of debate whether America needs to be multilingual or not. The neuroscience researches have shown a tremendous benefit: learning a second language not only improves learning and cognitive skills, it also showed improvement in the brain's executive functions, such as planning, solving problems and performing various other mentally demanding tasks.

Knowing a second language especially Mandarin or Spanish, really helps when it comes to careers. My GF speaks Mandarin and Cantonese and she has been offered jobs because of it at banks, financial institutions, high end retail stores etc. The world is becoming a global economy, so it really helps a lot, especially Mandarin.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Before people think they have a need to learn a foreign language, they should first learn how to speak English with correct pronunciation of words and using proper grammar.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Knowing a second language especially Mandarin or Spanish, really helps when it comes to careers. My GF speaks Mandarin and Cantonese and she has been offered jobs because of it at banks, financial institutions, high end retail stores etc. The world is becoming a global economy, so it really helps a lot, especially Mandarin.
Knowing Arabic really well can get you paid nicely in the USA and get you federal govt. positions. I am from the Middle East I would have looked into it but I am working in the health care field instead. I agree with you the Mandarin, China has about 2 billion people in the world and USA does a lot of global business with the Chinese it def can help.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Before people think they have a need to learn a foreign language, they should first learn how to speak English with correct pronunciation of words and using proper grammar.
That's pretty much what I was going to say. Many young people today are so immersed in Twitter and online gaming that proper English, spelling and grammar seem to be less important today than it was when I was young. U no wat im sayin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.