Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Midwest part of the East?
Yes 60 47.24%
No 67 52.76%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 10:57 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
For some reason it throws people for a loop to know that Michigan is in th eastern timezone. They don't realize how far east it is.
As is a good portion of Indiana.

And one thing that never made sense is how the Atlanta Braves were once in the NL West. I'm guessing it's because they were previously located in Milwaukee but the Commissioner never approved a realignment plan reflecting the relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:11 AM

591 posts, read 782,263 times
no, maybe Ohio, but people from Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin etc have completely different attitudes and personalities than on the East Coast. They have a Midwest/middle america mindset and attitude. and that mindset is displayed even in the big cities.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Northern.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
My gut is to say that the Midwest is not the East, but it is significantly more not West than it is not East.

Obviously the Midwest is a distinct region of its own, but the non-Prairie states I do consider to be eastern (with a small 'e') in a sense. The topography of the major river tributaries to the Mississippi, Appalachian border areas, the age and layout of the cities and their architecture, and a lot of the ethnic heritage all lend to the inclusion of the Midwest with the East in a mega-region contrasting with the West.

It should also be noted that from the New Mexico perspective, even places like Minnesota, eastern Iowa, Illinois, and Missouri have more in common geographically and culturally with the East than they do with the Rocky Mountain states westward.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
I think a lot of people are completely misunderstanding what I believe is the OP's original intention for this thread.

To rephrase, in a United States that's split into "Eastern" and "Western", is the Midwest part of the Eastern United States? Or is it the Western United States?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:12 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I think a lot of people are completely misunderstanding what I believe is the OP's original intention for this thread.

To rephrase, in a United States that's split into "Eastern" and "Western", is the Midwest part of the Eastern United States? Or is it the Western United States?
I think the most simple divide would be the Mississippi River. In real life, though, no one thinks about this...or cares about this.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:19 PM

515 posts, read 632,488 times
I would say some parts definitely are. The dividing line would probably run though Kansas. Since the center of the U.S. is located in Kansas, that would make the most sense geographically and visually. There is no way that part of it couldn't, due to the location of the Midwest, but all of it is not.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
I voted no, because to me, except in the most basic geographic sense the term "Eastern United States" doesn't really mean anything, and is basically never used in conversation by anyone not from the West. Northeast, Midwest, South, and West are the regions, and when it comes down to cultural commonalities, the Northeast and Midwest are more like the West than the South.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I voted no.

I completely ignored cultural discrepancies and political boundaries and used a simple formula: If one can drive from their home city to New York City in 10 hours or less, they're in the East. As it turns out, only those living in the easternmost portions of the Midwest (Michigan and Ohio) can do this.
Well what is this formula based on other than an arbitrary 10 hour restriction?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:12 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I voted no, because to me, except in the most basic geographic sense the term "Eastern United States" doesn't really mean anything, and is basically never used in conversation by anyone not from the West. Northeast, Midwest, South, and West are the regions, and when it comes down to cultural commonalities, the Northeast and Midwest are more like the West than the South.
That's a sweeping generalization if I've ever heard one. Especially since the average urban area in the South is looking more and more like Anywhere, America with each passing day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.