Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:31 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biramar View Post
How many guys here have every LOOKED UP to Canada as a country with more jobs and wages and whatnot?
Are you satisfied with your American allegiance?
Canada's economy is actually less diverse and way smaller. Compared to the rest of the world, Canada has a great economy, but for Americans, there's not much reason to go north if only just for personal preference based on other factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 PM

428 posts, read 450,941 times
I'm Canadian and don't get Americans on this forum who think Canada is some sort of golden dreamland. Here's a tip, stop reading things online, and start living it. If you want to start living Canadian style move to northern Minnesota and offer to pay 40% more for everything you buy, including your car, and groceries, and 80% more for your home. I spent a lot of time in the US and would live there if I could but you guys make it nearly impossible for anyone who isn't a double PhD holder or an illegal Mexican to move there.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:42 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I'm Canadian and don't get Americans on this forum who think Canada is some sort of golden dreamland. Here's a tip, stop reading things online, and start living it. If you want to start living Canadian style move to northern Minnesota and offer to pay 40% more for everything you buy, including your car, and groceries, and 80% more for your home. I spent a lot of time in the US and would live there if I could but you guys make it nearly impossible for anyone who isn't a double PhD holder or an illegal Mexican to move there.
That's what I see and read all the time. Even on HGTV which has a lot of its shows set in Canada, housing prices are ridiculous in Canada, you'd think you were moving into San Francisco. I enjoy my relatively low cost of living in the United States with slightly better weather.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That's what I see and read all the time. Even on HGTV which has a lot of its shows set in Canada, housing prices are ridiculous in Canada, you'd think you were moving into San Francisco. I enjoy my relatively low cost of living in the United States with slightly better weather.
Yea, that's right. I live in the "cheap" part of Canada around Winnipeg. That means you only tack on a few hundred thousand on to your home. Picture your $300,000 home in a decent area of Chicago, just add $250,000 on to that. But we are lucky here, in other areas it isn't so affordable. Guess how much these homes cost?

If you guessed anything under $1 million, guess again. Each one of those homes is going for over $1 million in the part of Canada north of Seattle. The average yearly income there is 1/15 of the average home cost. Think Oahu, Manhattan, or downtown San Fransisco pricing but without the economy or international hub status to support it. Meaning that the average hardworking Joe has no chance of ever owning their own home. But hey, at least the streets are walkable, right?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM

54 posts, read 74,493 times
Quote:
But hey, at least the streets are walkable, right?
What do you mean by "streets in Canada are walkable"?
You facing any threat in the lovely U.S?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by "streets in Canada are walkable"?
You facing any threat in the lovely U.S?
Walkability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

Old 03-29-2015, 05:26 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'm half Canadian, so the thought has crossed my mind. The people in Canada are the friendliest in the world. It's beautiful, safe, and clean. But, at the end of the day, you can't beat the USA's diversity (people, culture, geography, industry).
What about considering Toronto in that regard?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:28 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Yea, that's right. I live in the "cheap" part of Canada around Winnipeg. That means you only tack on a few hundred thousand on to your home. Picture your $300,000 home in a decent area of Chicago, just add $250,000 on to that. But we are lucky here, in other areas it isn't so affordable. Guess how much these homes cost?

If you guessed anything under $1 million, guess again. Each one of those homes is going for over $1 million in the part of Canada north of Seattle. The average yearly income there is 1/15 of the average home cost. Think Oahu, Manhattan, or downtown San Fransisco pricing but without the economy or international hub status to support it. Meaning that the average hardworking Joe has no chance of ever owning their own home. But hey, at least the streets are walkable, right?
I've heard that areas of Ontario like Kingston and Ottawa are pretty affordable by Canadian standards. Is that true?

If I were to look into Canada, I'd probably look into the Golden Horseshoe, Windsor/Southwestern region or previously mentioned area above in Ontario or Nova Scotia particularly in/around Halifax.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:28 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I've thought about going to Canada. In fact, I've tried getting a work visa for Canada. I was turned down. Right now,I'm still living in the USA, and I am employed. Canada still holds a big allure for me, as I've never been there. However, I'm here in the USA, and I have work. I'm thankful for what I have.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
How many guys here have every LOOKED UP to Canada as a country with more jobs and wages and whatnot?
Are you satisfied with your American allegiance?
Since Canada is to the north, I suppose I do look up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.