Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:52 AM

54 posts, read 74,516 times

Advertisements

How many guys here have every LOOKED UP to Canada as a country with more jobs and wages and whatnot?
Are you satisfied with your American allegiance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Well, Canada is nice and all. But the United States is definitely the big gorilla of North America.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:18 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,110 times
Very satisfied. There are plenty of nice places in Canada, but it's too cold.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:23 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
I'm sure Canada is nice and all, but it's notoriously difficult for new immigrants to the country to get clearance to work there legally. My brother moved to Ontario and had to work illegally for a year before obtaining the proper work status.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,930 times
I'm half Canadian, so the thought has crossed my mind. The people in Canada are the friendliest in the world. It's beautiful, safe, and clean. But, at the end of the day, you can't beat the USA's diversity (people, culture, geography, industry).

Old 03-29-2015, 01:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
My sister married a Canadian from Montreal back in the 80's. He tried making a go of it here but had major problems with immigration and after finally receiving his citizenship, got a job offer from back home to go into a business partnership with a friend he couldn't refuse. They moved to Toronto and have lived there ever since. He is now a successful business owner of a small manufacturing company. He would have never had this opportunity in the States.

I have often visited and wished I had followed them. I just like everything about it. But it's difficult to obtain citizenship so I didn't really try very hard. Sometimes I wish I had.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:17 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biramar View Post
How many guys here have every LOOKED UP to Canada as a country with more jobs and wages and whatnot?
I tried it. Generally Canada is more of the same, but with little diversity, a higher price tag, and very cold weather. I like Quebec as a unique place, but have no particular attraction to English Canada. I wouldn't live there if you paid my rent. There are not more jobs, much the opposite, and when wages are higher it doesn't nearly compensate for doubled housing prices and the higher costs for basic goods and services.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
It was very popular during the Vietnam war. I've never seen any follow-up stats, but I think quite a few just stayed there and had successful careers.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biramar View Post
All I have to do is count my blessings when I look at the weather and it's March/April and Canada is still getting hammered with snow. People complain all the time about Chicago's weather and brutal winters. Yeah, they can be bad, but nowhere near as bad as a Canadian winter. Wages would have to be a serious increase for me to consider relocating there. I like having access to many large cities and various areas. California has more people than the entire country of Canada, I don't miss living in a rural area at all, spent my time in the deep south, even it's more densely populated than Canada. Hate to knock it cause I'm sure Canada offers a lot but I am very happy living in the United States.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
The vast wilderness areas of rural northern Canada are very appealing to me but the gun laws are created by people from the few big cities and make zero sense in the wilderness, and would be a deal killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.