Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following state has the most spectacular mountain range(s):
Colorado 27 17.09%
California 21 13.29%
Utah 7 4.43%
Wyoming 17 10.76%
Idaho 5 3.16%
Washington 24 15.19%
Alaska 45 28.48%
Hawaii 2 1.27%
other 10 6.33%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
agree the Olympics feel rather isolated even though they're not that far from towns. The first two photos I posted* are from a trail about 20 miles from Sequim; impressed how you couldn't see any sign of human influence.

*Can you figure out where they're taken from?
Is that on the Gray Wolf Ridge trail? There's a few of those high ridge trails on the north side that look like that, I've done a few day hikes over there. I've spent a lot of time in the Olympics from the east side, and then a couple trips to Enchanted Valley and Anderson Pass areas entering from the south-west side.

Quote:
After the Olympics, I'd argue the next best range is the jumble of ranges near the California/Oregon border (Klamath Mountains, I think). Looks like a smaller version of the Sierra Nevada. Climate is wetter and relatively mild for a mountain area so it gets some really nice vegetation. The dry summers plus the overall high precipitation lead to a lush but open forest.
Yeah, I used to live in Ashland so I'd go to those mountains a lot. There's the Trinity Alps which are like a mini-Sierra than there's the Marble Mountains and the Siskiyous which go over the Oregon border. They're fairly uncrowded, though the Trinity's can be fairly popular--there's a lot of sort of High Sierra looking alpine cirques up there.

Quote:
how hard was it to climb el Dorado? Did you need climbing gear? A lot of experience?
The hardest part was actually the approach trail, it was practically bushwacking through a steep overgrown trail through the woods after we crossed the river and then you go up a giant boulder field--getting on the snow on the glaciers up top was actually a relief. It doesn't take much technical skill really if you have any basic mountaineering experience, I'd say though that anyone should have some basic avalanche safety knowledge and more importantly know how to get around and possibly out of crevasses on the glacier and just be in good shape. We alway rope in up on the glaciers and steep pitches, though we saw people who weren't roped in. It was actually easier up top than some of the climbs like Baker or some other ones in the Cascades. There's a few other climbs in that area I'd like to try up past Cascade Pass to the east.

This is the summit knife edge of El Dorado:

This is the last ascent below the summit pitch:

One of the views from the other side below the summit towards Mt. Baker in the distance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
how hard was it to climb el Dorado? Did you need climbing gear? A lot of experience?
The standard route only requires glacier travel, so it is good to have your crevasse rescue training dialed in. The summit ridge is pretty narrow, so you have to be careful.

The other routes are more technical, and require some rock and ice climbing combined. The views from the top are impressive.

Great pic deezus. Shows the scope and glaciers of the North Cascades. Something the American Rockies severely lack.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 AM

811 posts, read 810,225 times
Colorado of course it's the only state on the poll I've been to.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Great photos Deezus. There's is something magically enticing about mountains, and peaks in particular. Home sweet home.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Is that on the Gray Wolf Ridge trail? There's a few of those high ridge trails on the north side that look like that, I've done a few day hikes over there. I've spent a lot of time in the Olympics from the east side, and then a couple trips to Enchanted Valley and Anderson Pass areas entering from the south-west side.
Yep, it's the Gray Wolf Ridge trail, though it's not all that rail like once you get above the trees, more like a unmarked route. I never made it up Gray Wolf, just to Badly, as going down from Baldy was entirely lose scree that got irritating to hike. Surprised you got it, didn't think it was that well known, but perhaps the near Sequim was a hint.

Quote:
Yeah, I used to live in Ashland so I'd go to those mountains a lot. There's the Trinity Alps which are like a mini-Sierra than there's the Marble Mountains and the Siskiyous which go over the Oregon border. They're fairly uncrowded, though the Trinity's can be fairly popular--there's a lot of sort of High Sierra looking alpine cirques up there.
The only trails I hiked there were in the Trinities. They felt big, until I visited the Olympics. Do you like those mountains or the Wallowas better? Which feel bigger?

I see you have a photo of a peak from the Trinities in your album.

Quote:
This is the summit knife edge of El Dorado:
That looks intimidating. I don't really have any mountaineering experience, other than winter hikes on medium size New England peaks. Not that many opportunities out here to get any. The best "knife edge" one can get in the Northeast is the Knife Edge of Kathadin:

http://www.appstate.edu/~marshallst/...hdin-072.2.jpg

Would like to go there, but it's a long trip from here.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
Grand Tetons Wyoming

St. Elias Mtns Alaska

Rockies in GLacier National Park Montana

San Juan Mtns Colorado

North Cascades Washington

Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Nothing drops my jaw like the Tetons in Wyoming. I live in the mountains so I see them every day and they're all nice but the Tetons are just spectacular. It's a combination of their shape, size and location coming out of plains with a winding river.
My first glimpse of the Tetons was driving south out of Yellowstone. I was blown away. They are so beautiful.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
My first glimpse of the Tetons was driving south out of Yellowstone. I was blown away. They are so beautiful.
They're dramatic. Perhaps the most in the lower 48 states? The North Cascades aren't quite as impressive, but they go on for far longer. Rockies in Glacier NP are probably similar. By the spire measure list I keep posting, Grand Teton beats out any non-Cascade volcano in the lower 48. Hozemeen Mountain in Washington and Mt. Cleveland in Glacier NP come close, probably because both of these have more of a vertical face, so they get rewarded for steepness:

Contiguous US States Top 20 by Reduced ORS

Hozemeen is nearly as impressive as Grand Teton IMO. By elevation rise, Hozemeen Mountain rises 6400 feet above nearby Ross Lake. Grand Teton rises a bit more, 7000 feet above Jackson Lake.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Quote:
They're dramatic. Perhaps the most in the lower 48 states? The North Cascades aren't quite as impressive, but they go on for far longer. Rockies in Glacier NP are probably similar. By the spire measure list I keep posting, Grand Teton beats out any non-Cascade volcano in the lower 48. Hozemeen Mountain in Washington and Mt. Cleveland in Glacier NP come close, probably because both of these have more of a vertical face, so they get rewarded for steepness:

Hozemeen is nearly as impressive as Grand Teton IMO. By elevation rise, Hozemeen Mountain rises 6400 feet above nearby Ross Lake. Grand Teton rises a bit more, 7000 feet above Jackson Lake.
I won't even attempt to say which range is the most spectacular. One, I've only seen a few, and two, I love them all.

I grew up in flat country. There's nothing like taking a road trip and getting the first glimpse of mountains in the distance. Even where I live now, when I come home from visiting family, seeing the Black Hills in the distance makes me happy.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:19 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:

As a climber I think the Tetons are impressive because they really stand out compared to the surrounding areas.

However I still think the North Cascades are the most impressive range in the lower 48 simply because of its extent and glaciation.

For instance Mt. Johannesburg (see below) off cascade river road has one of the greatest vertical rises in one horizontal mile anywhere in the lower 48. You don't see stuff like this unless you get into the coast range of British Columbia or Alaska, or the Canadian Rockies.

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.co...0311_small.jpg

The Tetons cover a pretty small area compared to the North Cascades. The problem with the North Casacdes, is that you have to either A) climb one of the peaks or B) fly over with a plane, to really get a good idea of how impressive they are.

Last edited by JMT; 01-13-2014 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.