Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No, they don't.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not one place you mentioned has a similar climate as a Houston. I mean, not even close. Tokyo? Hawaii? BA? Huh?

Who knew that Houston summers had no humidity and daily temps in the 70's? The things one "learns" on C-D...
Tokyo, Buenos Aires, and Shanghai all have humid subtropical climates, where summers exhibit heat and humidity, just like Houston.

Every single place I listed has high levels of humidity for at least part of the year; the tropical areas have it year-round. As far as temps, places like Cancun and Zanzibar all get just as hot as Houston during summer, or even hotter. Other places are a few degrees cooler than Houston on average, but not that much cooler. In the end, all places have heat and humidity just like Houston, give or take a few degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
I will run run run run run run MY AC because I can and because I hate the heat and humidity and anything over 80 outside is extremely hot to me!!! Even people who like this climate run their ACs like crazy! If you do not like people in miserable Houston using their AC, then get out and live with like minded people somewhere else or stop proclaiming how "saddened" you are!
Senseless energy wasting is always quite saddening. We should respect the Earth, and make the world a greener place.

As the US becomes more and more accustomed to subtropical living, the country will soon discover/find methods of cooling the home just as effectively as A/C, but without the energy bill.

Also, 80F temps are not that hot at all. Sorry, but they are not.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 05-29-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 02:53 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Bottom line is, it doesn't matter whether one thinks coastal doesn't need A/C.

If you have money enough to live on the coast, you don't care either way. 1% er.

And before someone squawks, you should research what that percentage really means. (HINT: it's a lower pay rate than you think. )

For the rest of working 'Murica, you're living in an area that either gets extremely hot or extremely cold, regardless of how frequent or when. It's moot. People will use A/C and furnaces or heat pumps to set a temperature that works for THEM regardless of what is going on outside.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:05 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
^You probably should visit or do some better research on all the different types of people that live in the coastal zone of CA, not every place is La Jolla or Del Mar. Yeah all those 1%ers in places like Imperial Beach, Oceanside, Clairemont Mesa, etc... Or El Cerrito, San Leandro, Oakland, etc... Plenty of middle class communities along the coast FYI.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

If you have money enough to live on the coast, you don't care either way. 1% er.

And before someone squawks, you should research what that percentage really means. (HINT: it's a lower pay rate than you think. )

For the rest of working 'Murica, you're living in an area that either gets extremely hot or extremely cold, regardless of how frequent or when. It's moot. People will use A/C and furnaces or heat pumps to set a temperature that works for THEM regardless of what is going on outside.
What do you think it means? What the top 1 percent makes in every state - The Washington Post

Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

So the millions of people living within 5 miles from the coast are all 1%'ers huh?

I guess I'm in the 1% then. Good to know.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Are you sure about that?

Tokyo, Buenos Aires, and Shanghai all have humid subtropical climates, where summers exhibit heat and humidity, just like Houston.

Every single place I listed has high levels of humidity for at least part of the year; the tropical areas have it year-round. As far as temps, places like Cancun and Zanzibar all get just as hot as Houston during summer, or even hotter. Other places are a few degrees cooler than Houston on average, but not that much cooler. In the end, all places have heat and humidity just like Houston, give or take a few degrees.

Senseless energy wasting is always quite saddening. We should respect the Earth, and make the world a greener place.

As the US becomes more and more accustomed to subtropical living, the country will soon discover/find methods of cooling the home just as effectively as A/C, but without the energy bill.

Also, 80F temps are not that hot at all. Sorry, but they are not.
So, should scientists and engineers in the U.S. work on methods of cooling homes I the South without A/C first, or should they start that other project you used to talk about, which was clarifying the waters off the Texas coast? In both instances, you have employed strange double talk to alternately say that the conditions in question did not exist/were not actually a problem, or that the solution was forthcoming.

Meanwhile, pit stains of Houstonians continue expanding, the chocolate-brown tide continues to lap at the Galveston shore, and the air conditioners whirr away 24/7.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
So, should scientists and engineers in the U.S. work on methods of cooling homes I the South without A/C first, or should they start that other project you used to talk about, which was clarifying the waters off the Texas coast? In both instances, you have employed strange double talk to alternately say that the conditions in question did not exist/were not actually a problem, or that the solution was forthcoming.

Meanwhile, pit stains of Houstonians continue expanding, the chocolate-brown tide continues to lap at the Galveston shore, and the air conditioners whirr away 24/7.
Both will be undertaken in due time. As far as living without A/C, there are already lots of natural home-cooling techniques that have been practiced for generations by many groups that have lived in hot, humid climates, like those from many tribes in Africa and Asia. Invention of more energy-efficient cooling methods by scientists would only be the icing on the cake.

As far as clarifying waters of the Texas coast, I will say that the technology actually is present to make clear water permanent on the coast. However, I won't go into detail right now because that is another topic. If you do want such details, however, feel free to private message me.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Both will be undertaken in due time. As far as living without A/C, there are already lots of natural home-cooling techniques that have been practiced for generations by many groups that have lived in hot, humid climates, like those from many tribes in Africa and Asia. Invention of more energy-efficient cooling methods by scientists would only be the icing on the cake.

As far as clarifying waters of the Texas coast, I will say that the technology actually is present to make clear water permanent on the coast. However, I won't go into detail right now because that is another topic. If you do want such details, however, feel free to private message me.
Yeah, when I think of people living in cool comfort without A/C, I think of Africa.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, when I think of people living in cool comfort without A/C, I think of Africa.
Very efficient means of keeping cool without A/C developed on that continent, such as the mud-brick architecture, like that seen in Timbuktu:

For green, comfortable homes, Mali turns to mud | Reuters
About Make It Mudbricks EFFICIENCY

Unlike Europe, Africa has large areas of hot, humid climates, and thus, Africans in general have more experience and know how required to deal with hot, humid climates than Europeans. The same goes for Asians vs Europeans. The eurocentric nature of the US, combined with the fact that Europeans are not as equipped to handle hot, humid climates as Africans and Asians are, contributes to this perception of the US South as having an uncomfortable climate. If the US was more dominated by Asians or Africans, you would not hear near the amount of complaints about heat and humidity as you do now.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
We are witnessing the effects of heat induced dementia first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.