Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best city in the Lower Midwest?
Kansas City, MO 23 35.94%
St. Louis, MO 11 17.19%
Indianapolis, IN 11 17.19%
Columbus, OH 19 29.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times

Advertisements

Omaha, des moines and kc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,222 times
My vote is for Columbus, but I am biased. I really love Cbus, has so much to offer and I like the lifestyle. Has Hocking Hills and other outdoor getaways, dining, shopping, festivals and the COL is quite good. KC would be second choice, st Louis 3rd and indy 4th.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:45 PM

396 posts, read 653,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I am attracted to booming Texas cities with excellent job market, such as Austin, Dallas, and Houston; however, I do not adjust well in hot summers. I prefer the cold. I am also attracted to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota but I am not sure if I could handle that kind of cold though.

Lower Midwest is perfectly in the middle when it comes to climate so I have been looking into Lower Midwestern cities as ideal choices for relocation/new change in life.

Affordable cost of living and good economy along with nice suburbs and good schools for children are all musts. My wife and I are both fiscally moderate and socially liberal. There should be a plenty of things to do for families with children. We like to go on dates just two of us plus we have my own Guys Night Out and her Ladies Night Out so there should be a plenty of non-family things to do as well.

My wife and I enjoy fishing, camping, hunting, and swimming at lakes once awhile. Museums, pro sports (baseball & football) and college football, amusement parks, and theatre (plays & opera) are more of my thing.

We both work in the field of education with my wife having a licensure in Deaf Education and I have experiences at university level teaching. Our jobs are mostly in the field of education and government. We plan to start out renting then buy a house eventually so property taxes need to be considered.

Do you have any suggestion for best cities in Lower Midwest to live? Please use the poll to vote on some of the cities we have been checking out.
St Louis is a national leader in deaf education - Due to a long history of Catholic Sisters who specialized in deaf education setting up a convent here in the mid 1800's. It has since secularized and grown.

I know of a couple who moved here from New Orleans years ago because of the quality of education for their hearing impaired daughter - They stayed because they loved the city. The local schools for the deaf have dorms since they attract many deaf children from around the country

Schools for the deaf in town -

Central Institute for the Deaf |

https://sjid.org/

http://www.moogcenter.org/

St. Louis meets all of your other criteria, its probably not a lot like Texas (I have limited experience with Texas) But its historic, easy to get around, great neighborhoods with distinct identity.

Check out suburban Webster Groves or Kirkwood - good schools, great housing stock, but also have old downtowns that actually function as downtowns

City neighborhoods are amazing, the schools are not

Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 AM

525 posts, read 718,732 times
I have never been to Kansas City. What makes the city unique?

Should I live on Missouri side or Johnson County, Kansas as a place to live, work, and play for family life?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Again, I have never been to Kansas City but I have visited Columbus, Ohio 3 times.

I really like it; however, it feels more like a huge college town instead of a city. Even Indianapolis has a slight edge when it comes to better downtown and more professional sports.

I wonder why Indianapolis ranks lower than Kansas City and Columbus.

Indianapolis is supposed to have one of best Downtowns in America. What does Indianapolis lack compared to these two cities? I'm curious.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:51 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Again, I have never been to Kansas City but I have visited Columbus, Ohio 3 times.

I really like it; however, it feels more like a huge college town instead of a city. Even Indianapolis has a slight edge when it comes to better downtown and more professional sports.

I wonder why Indianapolis ranks lower than Kansas City and Columbus.

Indianapolis is supposed to have one of best Downtowns in America. What does Indianapolis lack compared to these two cities? I'm curious.
Columbus has some livelier neighborhoods than Indianapolis does.

Why is (insert name of city here) losing in the poll and (other city) winning? Because this forum runs on homers and city fanboys, not on intellect. If I were making a relocation decision, a poll in the general us forum on city data would be about the last place I would look. You'd get as useful a conclusion if you taped the names of the four cities to turtles and had a turtle race.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 PM

114 posts, read 125,086 times
Quote:

I really like it; however, it feels more like a huge college town instead of a city.
Columbus, Ohio. The only place on the planet with 2million+ people in the metro thats not recogonized as a city.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
The first city that came to my mind when you said Best City in the Lower Midwest is Cincinnati. But she is not listed on the poll.

I suppose Indianapolis and Columbus being state capitals might give them a better job market?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The first city that came to my mind when you said Best City in the Lower Midwest is Cincinnati. But she is not listed on the poll.

I suppose Indianapolis and Columbus being state capitals might give them a better job market?
Indianapolis and Columbus generally have better economy and colder climate than Cincinatti.

I believe Cincinatti has more southern influences for a city in the Lower Midwest. It's almost like Louisville but bigger in my opinion. I love the view of Cincinatti's Downtown though when you first enter into Ohio from Covington, KY.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Columbus has some livelier neighborhoods than Indianapolis does.

Why is (insert name of city here) losing in the poll and (other city) winning? Because this forum runs on homers and city fanboys, not on intellect. If I were making a relocation decision, a poll in the general us forum on city data would be about the last place I would look. You'd get as useful a conclusion if you taped the names of the four cities to turtles and had a turtle race.
Yes, I've noticed the differences between Indianapolis and Columbus while visiting both cities.

Indy has a better downtown; however, neighborhoods in Columbus are more diverse and livelier, such as Worthington, Short North, German Village, Victorian Village, and Italian Village.

Columbus also seems to be well maintained (cleaner) with better roads.

Columbus is much denser while Indy is more sprawling far from Downtown.

Having Ohio State University (traditional university) makes student life and educated population more visual in Columbus compared to Butler, IUPUI, and U of Indy (basically commuter schools).

Indy has more pro sports while Columbus has more college sports.

Indy has Eagle Creek Reservoir & Geist Reservoir; Columbus has Alum Creek Lake and Hoover Reservoir.

Winter is slightly colder in Indy.

Columbus is slightly more liberal and GLBT-friendly.

I don't know about Indy but Columbus is 4th best shopping city in America.

Indy suburbs (Zionsville, Carmel, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, etc.) are just like Columbus suburbs (Dublin, Powell, Westerville, and New Albany). However, Columbus has less suburbs.

Other than their differences, they are basically similiar cities.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 06-16-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.