Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:28 AM

197 posts, read 264,869 times

Advertisements

ST. LOUIS is hands down the best "hidden" treasure. Built as a top 4 city, this city today is the 18th largest MSA in the US. It has all the amenities of a larger city but without the larger city hassles like endless traffic and overpriced housing. It has history, architecture and a seemingly endless number of neighborhoods with architecture from the early 1840's to today's more modern infill. St. Louis gets bad press because of crime, but that's only because St Louis City is not in St. Louis County, so the numbers are skewed. As a region/MSA, St. Louis is safer than Oklahoma City and Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
^St. Louis seems like a good pick-also Cleveland.

I'd also include the two Wilmington's-in North Carolina and in Delaware. Both are nice little cities.

And in the case of Wilmington, NC there is a beautiful beach right next door, with maybe the best water color on the East Coast outside of Florida:

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-04-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 08:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I just can't fathom why! What are we doing so wrong!?
Richmond is a bit on the underrated side too, but at least it has more exposure being located along the I-95 corridor. I used to say that Hampton Roads was hurt by essentially being a cul-de-sac and not along I-95, but the same is essentially true of Charleston and it's hardly overlooked.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Just look at lists of growing cities

Old 06-04-2015, 10:51 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Richmond is a bit on the underrated side too, but at least it has more exposure being located along the I-95 corridor. I used to say that Hampton Roads was hurt by essentially being a cul-de-sac and not along I-95, but the same is essentially true of Charleston and it's hardly overlooked.
True, but honestly I think the problem is the area is de-centralized, and around the nation it's perceived as having little local identity to distinguish it.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Hampton Roads is pretty well-known amongst the military culture and even federal civil service. Getting a federal civil service job over there is surprisingly hard, even harder than to get one in DC. You are competing with veterans who love the area as well as seasoned civil service employees who served their time in DC and are now looking for more space and closer access to the beach. It's a great area that's managed to avoid becoming another NoVa with too many wealthy Northeasterners, but I doubt that will last forever. But it's indeed a very nice area, and I would say not being on I-95 has helped the area rather than hurt it!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:26 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Sacramento
Sacramento

Old 06-04-2015, 12:43 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Hate to engage my homerism, But Virginia Beach-Norfolk, despite having 1.7 million people. Basically no exposure outside of Virginia.
Well if you live in a Navy town you certainly have heard about Virginia Beach-Norfolk. I haven't been personally but my partner who works for the Navy has gone there several times on business as well as many of our good friends, either enlisted or contractors and I haven't heard it described in particularly glowing terms. It's a good sized and developed area but lacking many of the more aesthetic qualities that would contribute to a hidden treasure description.

I would 2nd (or 3rd) St. Louis or Sacramento.

St. Louis has all the infrastructure, stunning architecture and cultural institutions of a much larger city (which it once was, in terms of population) but without all the hassles of an overpopulated rat race kind of place. You do notice the dearth of people downtown where a bit more would certainly liven things up (baseball game days excluded) but the nearby well defined neighborhoods, parks and museums are absolutely first rate.

Sacramento has a great location on the Delta and near the foothills giving it some interesting geography/topography, wonderful tree-lined streets, a fairly dynamic downtown (improving) and surrounding old neighborhoods with quick access to Tahoe and other recreational areas. So much more affordable than the coastal cities here but with many of the same attributes.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Hampton Roads is pretty well-known amongst the military culture and even federal civil service. Getting a federal civil service job over there is surprisingly hard, even harder than to get one in DC. You are competing with veterans who love the area as well as seasoned civil service employees who served their time in DC and are now looking for more space and closer access to the beach. It's a great area that's managed to avoid becoming another NoVa with too many wealthy Northeasterners, but I doubt that will last forever. But it's indeed a very nice area, and I would say not being on I-95 has helped the area rather than hurt it!
Well of course Hampton Roads is known among Navy/military folks; it's among their primary industries. Incidentally, military personnel and students are really the only people I know who move to the region.

In terms of exposure, not being along I-95 has hurt the area.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Raleigh a hidden treasure any more? Kar54's list seems to some very good choices. Perhaps Richmond VA, Louisville KY and Huntsville AL are some others.
I'd say yes and no.
Raleigh has certainly experienced explosive growth and continues to do so but its rather recent stature as one of the 50 largest cities in America and the lack of strong and long-lived city brand keeps it off the radar to a great extent. Adding the fact that its metro was statistically diminished when the Triangle was split into two unequal pieces. Essentially, the entire Triangle had grown and reached the million person threshold just in time for it to be broken apart. Now the Raleigh metro population alone is above the former combined metro from a dozen years ago but the visibility of the Triangle being a 2+ million person metro area is all but unknown to most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.