Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:31 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Lancaster, PA - Feels like Ohio
Not really, especially the city which looks like an baby Philly with the rowhouses/architecture. Lancaster county's roads tend to be winding and curve with the topography, and there are several other smaller towns that have a mini-urban feel such as Willow Street, Stratsburg, Columbia, Elizabethtown, Ephrata, and New Holland. The only part of PA that feel like parts of Ohio is the state's northwestern corner. Otherwise, it will more closely resemble parts of NY, NJ, DE, MD, or WV, and Lancaster is a very "Pennsylvania" type of county.

For someone who said MD's eastern shore resembling Ohio/Indiana, that's not too far off, especially outside the southernmost counties and away from Ocean City (Dorchester, Somerset, parts of Wicomico and Worcester) which feel more southern. There are numerous corn/soybean fields, a windmill near Chesapeake College on route 404, some small and tiny towns with a small main street, and not so much tobacco, rice, and cotton fields which define the south. It is a bit more wooded and the roads aren't as straight as the real Midwest however, and it would be more of a Missouri Midwest than a Great Lakes Midwest due to the southern influences.

That said, I'd say parts of Central Canada (Sask., Manitoba, Ontario) are still the most "Midwestern-esque" feeling cities outside the Midwest. Taking out the obvious Canadian conventions, Ontario resembles northern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and parts of Wisconsin; Manitoba resembles Minnesota; and Saskatchewan resembles the Dakotas. Toronto is like Chicago, Hamilton like Cleveland, London like Grand Rapids, Windsor and extension of Detroit, Thunder Bay like Duluth, Winnipeg like a smaller Twin Cities, and Regina like Bismarck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 02:26 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Not really, especially the city which looks like an baby Philly with the rowhouses/architecture. Lancaster county's roads tend to be winding and curve with the topography, and there are several other smaller towns that have a mini-urban feel such as Willow Street, Stratsburg, Columbia, Elizabethtown, Ephrata, and New Holland. The only part of PA that feel like parts of Ohio is the state's northwestern corner. Otherwise, it will more closely resemble parts of NY, NJ, DE, MD, or WV, and Lancaster is a very "Pennsylvania" type of county.
I agree, however it is only fair to point out that eastern and southern Ohio, particularly close to the river, is actually quite hilly and looks very much like northern Appalachia/the interior northeast.

I have seen these places for myself many times.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:51 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2946...7i13312!8i6656

Eastern Colorado is a continuation of Kansas.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:03 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Roughly, the area of Tennessee, north and east of Nashville and west of the Smokey Mountains, nearly all of Kentucky and West Virginia, the Northern and Western parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma and the Great Plains of Texas, and the part of Texas that is north and east of Dallas, between Interstate 30 and Highway 75, seem more like the Lower Midwestern states than they do the Deep South, particularly in terms of demographics.

The Deep South is its own unique part of the United States. No other area is really anything like it. Louisville and Nashville are more like Indianapolis and Cincinnati than they are like Jackson and Mobile or Baton Rouge. Lexington feels more like Springfield or Ft Wayne than it feels like Shreveport or Little Rock. In my opinion, that is.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2946...7i13312!8i6656

Eastern Colorado is a continuation of Kansas.
That reminds me of the prairies in west Louisiana but with a little less trees.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Roughly, the area of Tennessee, north and east of Nashville and west of the Smokey Mountains, nearly all of Kentucky and West Virginia, the Northern and Western parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma and the Great Plains of Texas, and the part of Texas that is north and east of Dallas, between Interstate 30 and Highway 75, seem more like the Lower Midwestern states than they do the Deep South, particularly in terms of demographics.

The Deep South is its own unique part of the United States. No other area is really anything like it. Louisville and Nashville are more like Indianapolis and Cincinnati than they are like Jackson and Mobile or Baton Rouge. Lexington feels more like Springfield or Ft Wayne than it feels like Shreveport or Little Rock. In my opinion, that is.
Disagree that Nashville is more like the Midwest than the Deep South. Nashville isn't Midwestern at all.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Disagree that Nashville is more like the Midwest than the Deep South. Nashville isn't Midwestern at all.
I disagree with quite a few points in his(?) post. Only a comparatively small portion of the typical Midwest is hill country, and an even smaller portion is Appalachian. Definitely not its defining feature.

I say typical Midwest since there are people who consider central to Western PA and NY, along with the wholes of Kentucky and West Virginia to be Midwestern. By their definition it's definitely more rugged.

Perspective I guess.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:17 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Lancaster, PA - Feels like Ohio
I wonder if this can also apply to Pittsburgh. Any thoughts?

Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I wonder if this can also apply to Pittsburgh. Any thoughts?
I personally don't think so. Not from my experience anyhow. For example, Pittsburgh seems worlds away from Columbus socially.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post

I live in Tennessee and have lived in the Midwest before. I wholeheartedly agree with you, nothing Midwestern about interior South states like Tennessee and Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.