Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 05:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I noticed that many people who migrated from the east coast, particularly the Northeast, to the southwest often use the phrase "back east" to refer to their previous home region. Since I am moving to Ohio next week, do you think it would be appropriate if I use the term "back east" to refer to New England? Or is that pushing it?
You're pushing it because no cares to hear about "back east".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
The Heart:
Eastern Kansas, Northern Missouri, Southern Illinois, Southern Indiana, Southern Ohio

Back East:
Southern Maine, Southern New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Southern New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Florida

Down South:
Eastern Kansas, Southern Missouri, Eastern Oklahoma, Eastern Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Carolina's, Virginia's, Kentucky

Up North:
Alaska, Dakota's, Eastern Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, Northern Indiana, Michigan, Northern Ohio, Northern New York, Vermont, Northern New Hampshire, Northern Maine

Out West:
Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Western Texas, Western Oklahoma, Western Kansas, Western Nebraska

Old 06-26-2015, 07:21 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It was in 1790 (Northwest Territory).
Yeah... well kind of irrelevant in 2015 considering this was before the Louisiana Purchase and manifest destiny.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
When I lived in Phoenix I referred to the midwest as "back east". I think it's "somewhat" relative. For me personally I wouldn't feel "west" enough in Ohio to start reminiscing about back east. People might start asking if you're from Japan.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:34 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
ehhh... even relative to Boston, Ohio isn't really "Out west" per se. Directionally it's west, but you really got to at least get beyond the Mississippi River to use the terminology of "Out West".
Have you been to Boston? Springfield is the Pioneer valley (first settled a full 5 years after Boston) and Worcester is out west.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I'm now in Texas (South Central, or South commonly referred) but I say back east for my origins in North Carolina which is also South.. albeit South East for sure. Am I right for saying back east? it's working so far.
I live in North Carolina, and had a girlfriend who moved out to Texas for grad school a few years ago. When I was out there visiting her, I used the term "back east" to refer to NC when I was speaking with a guy at a a boat rental place. He was originally from NJ he said "you think of North Carolina as back east huh?"....I guess transplants from the northeast think they get the exclusive use of that term.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Have you been to Boston? Springfield is the Pioneer valley (first settled a full 5 years after Boston) and Worcester is out west.
Uh..... yes, I grew up on the North Shore in Salem and Newburyport. But I'm pretty sure you already knew that I was from the area. What you're describing to me is "Western Mass". Worcester is "Central Mass". But since you can't seem to grasp what's beyond a mere few hundred miles, I can only assume you've never really been "Out West" before.

Here' a good start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GHHjUJCEU

Then Go WEST from there. It's a big country, go see it for yourself.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-27-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 01:43 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
....I guess transplants from the northeast think they get the exclusive use of that term.
Not necessarily. From my experience living around the country, most that I've run into think of the East Coast, Back East. and even the North as being Washington DC area up to Maine. Many don't consider Southern states that border the Atlantic as East just like they don't consider the Midwestern states North.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:31 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Everything from Maine to Florida is "East Coast". PA and VT don't even touch the ocean and are considered "East Coast". It's a stretch but I've even considered anything that's in the Eastern Timezone to be "east"; that includes most of Indiana and Michigan.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:49 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Not necessarily. From my experience living around the country, most that I've run into think of the East Coast, Back East. and even the North as being Washington DC area up to Maine. Many don't consider Southern states that border the Atlantic as East just like they don't consider the Midwestern states North.
But it all depends on perspective...to someone in CA, everything from FL to ME is "back east" and to someone in lower TX, everything from WA to ME would be "up north".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.