Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU08nola View Post
Thank you for the information and link! I liked Boston and D.C. quite a bit when I visited, but I experienced major sticker shock when my friends told me how much they paid in rent. Seattle/Portland/San Fran also seemed great but quite expensive. Any other possibilities that have a lower cost of living? I've seen Denver and Tampa pop up quite a bit on the "best for young adults" lists, and they seem to have a pretty low cost of living. Any thoughts on those or others? Thanks!
There's less housing sticker shock in Phila. and it has similar amenities to DC and Boston. Lots of millennials if that's who you are. Plus NYC is close as is DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:43 PM

29 posts, read 45,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You do realize that salaries tend to compensate for that fact, right? Otherwise how do you suppose everyone living there supporting all of those great restaurants/bars/shops/etc can do so?
Yes, but I plan to continue working for my current company, and they only adjust salary for location if the move is due to a business need (as opposed to my desire to relocate). I like my job and company quite a bit, so I'm trying to make it work

Old 09-08-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You will find this happens often no matter where you live, it is a natural progression for some so you will continue to have a revolving door of acquaintenances instead of long term real friends.
That is what I've been afraid of :-/ I'd hoped there might be some locale remaining for long-term, childfree friendships, but I'm likely going to have to adjust to this truth. In the meantime, I suppose I can look for cities that will at least up my odds!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There's less housing sticker shock in Phila. and it has similar amenities to DC and Boston. Lots of millennials if that's who you are. Plus NYC is close as is DC.
Thank you for the tip! Philly slipped my mind, though I did like it during the short amount of time I was there for a conference. I will look into it!

Old 09-08-2015, 08:53 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I would say places like Austin, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco or Denver. The "capitals of cool" are usually geared towards people who are young, single, and childfree and less towards families.

I also second the Bos-Wash corridor. Places like DC, New York, and Boston would also be a great bet.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Probably northeast. Family generally isn't seen as something important up there. I'd say NYC or Boston.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM

78 posts, read 105,007 times
The northeast! I moved away from there last year and ever since then I've felt like an awkward beached whale. Just totally out of sorts with things because wait, people settle down? People have kids? People stop having hobbies? I no longer know what to do with my life and it's awful. The only person I know back home who has a child wasn't exactly planning it.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:33 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Definitely the Northeast and parts of the West Coast.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Pittsburgh has one of the lowest birth rates. It's like Portland, but somewhat more affordable.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! I've been off doing quite a bit of research and am now just trying to get a feel for the intangibles.

Philadelphia and Chicago are in the lead at this point. My worries/concerns about Chicago are the reportedly horrible winters (and my ability to survive them) and the fact that it's not very weekend trip-friendly (major plus for Philly--near NYC, DC, etc.). My concern with Philly is being able to meet people and overall friendliness. Just one example, when I go to meetups.com, I see lots of fun, young, social meetups in Chicago and few to none in Philly. Do you find Philly to be a difficult place to meet new people? I'm looking at Old City, Rittenhouse, and Northern Liberties. These are likely questions for the city-specific boards, but I'm putting them out there just in case. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.