Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 08:28 AM

97 posts, read 64,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Of course you and some of those who responded would choose Houston since you are from Texas. Isn't C-D about boosting where you are from and feeling better about your situation in life, wherever it may be?
yeah, just like all the chicago voters have never left illinois or the midwest.

Quote:
I have lived in 5 states, and now live in Chicago. So guess where I think is the better place is? We almost moved to Houston, because my wife had an offer with Amoco, but we did not because I could not find a comparable job to the one I have here.

We did our homework, and thought that if it worked out, Houston would be fine. But there is really no way that Houston is a better city, not in a million years, unless you count the minor cost of living difference. Sprawling growth in my mind is a negative, not a positive, and Chicago is just nicer and better looking in alot of ways. But the Houston boosters here should support their home, for sure.
he literally just said that he would chose chicago for the real city experience. learn to read.

Last edited by Steeped; 09-03-2018 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 09:17 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
"oh hi guyz, i hate this one texas city so much, so i will talk about how much better the others are! it will make my argument so bodaciously awesome and credible, herp de derp derp!"
Sarcasm right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeped View Post
yeah, just like all the chicago voters have never left illinois or the midwest.

he literally just said that he would chose chicago for the real city experience. learn to read.
Nice steeps. These post remind me of another ... who also who use to do these kind of post. Better not to..... besides, I'd say that poster can defend themselves if they chose.

But noting the urban experience clearly is something Chicago will remain having over Houston and will eventually, renew in areas that lost great African American numbers over the last decades. Its street-grid remains intact and lost housing will gain new infill eventually there too. But it will NOT be a just level the old housing stock (like in Houston's inner-loop) for new close-knit and multi-residential housing that is called infill. Instead ALL worthy old classic Chicago architecture in housing will be renewed also. May be future decades when the Sunbelt cost rise more to make the Northern big cities even more ripe again for corporate investing more and more again.

But Chicago's super-core outward has been renewing nicely. Not the lowest-cost housing either. Downtown Houston needs to find ways to get people out of the tunnel network..... or will remain more sterile on the surface as heat of the day doesn't help so many months of the year. But growing a new inner-loop is to its advantage and more high-rise living in the core.

Better planning would help .... to limit separate surface garages with most new high-rises too. Podium-style high-rises ... though may still be looked down on by some. They work in Chicago if done right with some businesses street-level and hide a garage on its ground levels. Still better then separate garages that add nothing but a bigger footprint of wasted frontage. Ban garages that kill intersections period as they totally kill them too.
Modcut: Pennsylvania is not part of this thread.

Last edited by JMT; 09-10-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 10:38 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Uh......yeah it largely is. How is that even debatable?
Because your experiences aren’t necessarily universal truths...?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:34 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
If not for the crazy weather Houston would spank Chicago from coast to coast.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

Lol...I think not.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:

lol.

Explain... in humidity? Conservatives and Trump voters? Middling culture? Steers? Please explain. There is literally not a single category where Houston matches Chicago, much less is even close. I'm not trying to put down Houston, just being realistic. It's America energy capital, it's got one of the best medical systems in the U.S. if not the world, great theaters, etc., but... Houston is just a lesser city on a lower tier. Sorry Marv. Just the way it is.
Here are a few key baseline categories. Who wins these? Be honest.

Urban vitality:

Architecture:

Museums:

High culture:

Restaurants/bars/nightlife:

Music:

Sports:

Transportation:

Higher Education:

Oil: (threw you a bone here.)

Last edited by BigLake; 09-07-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
No way.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:34 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
The biggest problem with Houston is its dirty, hurricane prone and definitely has a Redneck presence.
If "rednecks", or any other group that would fall under that heading within ANY racial group, are minding their own businesses and living their own lives, what's the issue? Are all rednecks "racist"? Are rednecks the only racial sub group that's capable of being racist? Just a little bit of profiling or intolerance, maybe?

Old 09-07-2018, 12:50 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
lol.

Explain... in humidity? Conservatives and Trump voters?
You do know Houston proper votes nearly as blue as Chicago, correct?

You can go on and on about museums, architecture, density, higher ed, etc. all you want. At the end of the day Houston has 3 important aspects Chicago doesn't: No state income tax, numerous jobs(not just white collar crap that you need a Master's or a crapload of certificates for) and as you mentioned a massive medical system. The lower tier city has a population that's approaching Chicago's which has declined. Houston has attracted more blacks than Chicago over recent years.

I'm a sports fan. But to me it's not a deal breaker/maker. The fanbases in Houston aren't as obnoxious and bandwagon as Chicago's.

Mass transit while not perfect exists in Houston. That's all that matters. A subway or massive light rail system isn't necessary nor would it alleviate the traffic issues there. The bus system has been revamped to the point where other agencies are looking to model after it(Philly with SEPTA).

At least in Houston I can find studio apts for up to $600 and 1BRs for up to $700 that's not in a war zone. Some with utilities included.

It ain't perfect. But in terms of livability if you subtract the weather and the sanctuary city status, Houston owns Chicago IMO. But because of the crazy weather and the fact that you kinda "need" to learn Spanish, Chicago>Houston.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
You do know Houston proper votes nearly as blue as Chicago, correct?

You can go on and on about museums, architecture, density, higher ed, etc. all you want. At the end of the day Houston has 3 important aspects Chicago doesn't: No state income tax, numerous jobs(not just white collar crap that you need a Master's or a crapload of certificates for) and as you mentioned a massive medical system. The lower tier city has a population that's approaching Chicago's which has declined. Houston has attracted more blacks than Chicago over recent years.

I'm a sports fan. But to me it's not a deal breaker/maker. The fanbases in Houston aren't as obnoxious and bandwagon as Chicago's.

Mass transit while not perfect exists in Houston. That's all that matters. A subway or massive light rail system isn't necessary nor would it alleviate the traffic issues there. The bus system has been revamped to the point where other agencies are looking to model after it(Philly with SEPTA).

At least in Houston I can find studio apts for up to $600 and 1BRs for up to $700 that's not in a war zone. Some with utilities included.

It ain't perfect. But in terms of livability if you subtract the weather and the sanctuary city status, Houston owns Chicago IMO. But because of the crazy weather and the fact that you kinda "need" to learn Spanish, Chicago>Houston.

Fair response. I don't necessarily agree overall, but I do agree with your assessment on COL. Not sure how one could keep a straight face by saying "Houston owns Chicago". That's just an strange outlier you probably don't want to have associated with your other points, some of which are rational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.