Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:34 PM

176 posts, read 263,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could look at Austin, TX and Las Vegas, NV.

Austin has nightlife, young people
Las Vegas has nightlife, no humidity
Austin misses the criteria of no extreme temperatures. I commute by motorcycle year round in Austin and it sucks much of the year. Blazing hot in the summer, cold in the winter (dips into the teens, we had 30-something days of below freezing temps this winter). And it's flat out dangerous to ride here, with really bad drivers and lots of them.

Parts of Florida would work, but if you're looking for twisty roads there, you might not be happy.

If you're considering Seattle and it's cost of living, there are several southern California options that are in the same ballpark, price wise. Seattle is pricey. San Diego is only about 5% more costly than Seattle and is basically motorcycling weather nirvana.

Last edited by Return2Paradise; 09-27-2015 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:44 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
The Southeast coast from Jacksonville, FL to Wilmington, NC might work.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,175 times
I'm heavily considering Phoenix at this point, although I do have at least a year before I have to make a decision. I didn't realise the cost of living in Seattle was so high until I looked at the statistics, so it's our if the picture for now. Phoenix seems to be similar in terms of cost of living compared to Columbus, has concealed carry permits, and (hopefully) manageable weather all year round for motorcycle riding. I'll definitely take a week or two and go out to Phoenix sometime next summer to make sure the weather isn't unbearable for me. I think it's mostly the humidity that gets to me when it's above 80. I'll also look into Oregon. Eugene looks very interesting, especially with a lake and forest within 2 hours drive. Also, as a response to Icemolded's post, I like my second amendment right and refuse to be in a state where I'm required to register my firearms or am restricted in any way besides licensure and private property policies while concealed carrying.

Can anyone from Arizona or Oregon give me some input on the cost of living in the areas of Phoenix and Eugene compared to Columbus? Thanks!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Phoenix is pretty cheap when you compare it to other major cities across the USA. It is for sure cheaper than Oregon is. Phoenix is not humid in the slightest, along with Vegas it's one of the least humid cities in the USA. It does get well above 100 here in the summer but as i've said 105 in PHX feels like 90/89 in Washington DC to me(where I used to live). In terms of our weather it can get cold in winter in the morning and night but cold to us is in the high 30s/low 40s lol. I also don't think you will have to worry about your second amendment rights being taken away in AZ seeing as in most of the bars in scottsdale they have to put a "no firearms allowed" sign on the doors lol.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 AM

650 posts, read 868,222 times
Maybe DC? I don't know. I'm from Michigan. I live in DC now. But I haven't been here for the winter so this will be my first winter year, but from what I was told DC winters aren't as bad as the winters I experience in Michigan. So I shall see.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 AM

256 posts, read 541,403 times
Phoenix is you best bet, it has conceal carry and is affordable, the only thing is it does get hot there but the humidity is almost non existent and Prescott which is only around a hour and a half away and is much cooler

Old 09-30-2015, 04:16 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Albuquerque, NM, Nightlife, young people, No humidity, I like to think it a goldylocks zone, not too hot, not too cold (It's south but a lot higher than Denver and much higher than Phoenix), excellent food, clean air and mountain views. Drawbacks: centepedes, hobos, crazy cops, bears, 5 in. snow annual.
Not quite....

Elevation:

Denver - 5,280 ft (1,609 m)

ABQ - 5,312 ft (1,619.1 m)

Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM

707 posts, read 750,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Not quite....

Elevation:

Denver - 5,280 ft (1,609 m)

ABQ - 5,312 ft (1,619.1 m)
That's just the floor of the valley downtown. Albuquerque is shaped like a "V". In the South Valley it dips down to the high 4,000's, and at the foothills (probably the west side too) to the low 6,000's. If a few hundred feet were laid out as some other objects (like, well, anything) I'd quantify it with the words "a lot".

Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
The concealed to carry is throwing everything off. Aside from that I would have said Austin, Nashville, Charlotte, Salt Lake City

Old 10-01-2015, 10:40 AM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
I say Albuquerque as well. The dry and mostly warm weather would be pretty good for bike riding, and there would be more interesting rides in that area than there would be around the Phoenix area. I've your going to visit Phoenix, stop at Albuquerque along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.