Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:21 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Really? Who do you know in Manhattan who drives around town in a Ferrari or Bentley? That would be half my old neighborhood in OC.

Rich people in Manhattan take the subway or bus, for the most part. Really rich people get driven. They aren't tooling around town in flashy performance vehicles.
I get what you're saying but this example you just gave actually speaks more about the terrain of NYC which is better by foot and metro as its much denser and has superior public transportation as opposed to the more spread out suburban Orange County which is better traversed by having a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 10:54 PM

307 posts, read 241,778 times
For the people from the East Coast- to Cali- then back to the East Coast again. Of course you're real long lasting friends will be the ones from your hometown back east. That should go without saying.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:05 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Add weather and parking (ease or lack thereof).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
I get what you're saying but this example you just gave actually speaks more about the terrain of NYC which is better by foot and metro as its much denser and has superior public transportation as opposed to the more spread out suburban Orange County which is better traversed by having a car.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Different strokes. I find Southern California weather to be very tolerable. It can get hot but not for a long duration
Are you kidding me?

In Southern California, it is hot from the end of July to the beginning or middle of October every single year, without fail. Despite experiencing lower temperatures than Riverside and San Bernardino, the summertime heat in Los Angeles is more uncomfortable that it is further inland because atmospheric conditions in the coastal areas are more humid, and most dwellings are old and poorly insulated with no central air-conditioning.

Stop pushing a false narrative.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:58 AM

yeah--I found it gets hotter than some lead you to believe in the summer and chillier than some care to admit during the winter months...even in San Diego (I lived downtown, on the bay) it had periods that could get quite warm/hot from early to mid August through early to mid October (until the axis of the sun changed), especially when the remnants from a tropical storm worked its way up from Mexico that brought muggy air with it.....was getting noticeably warmer during the summer when I left a few years back but seems to be continuing that trend, if not getting even a tad warmer. I was also shocked at how high my utilities bills were from July-early October--nearly double what I pay for here in Miami and I have my AC on more here (though I had a southwest facing dwelling, which got awful and direct afternoon sun)...agree about inland LA/OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Are you kidding me?

In Southern California, it is hot from the end of July to the beginning or middle of October every single year, without fail. Despite experiencing lower temperatures than Riverside and San Bernardino, the summertime heat in Los Angeles is more uncomfortable that it is further inland because atmospheric conditions in the coastal areas are more humid, and most dwellings are old and poorly insulated with no central air-conditioning.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-08-2020 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-08-2020, 01:25 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

In Southern California, it is hot from the end of July to the beginning or middle of October every single year, without fail.
Yes, "hot" but not HOT for all of that time. In my city (inland OC) from August through October (July was relatively cool; October was hot), highs ranged from the high 80s to the low 100s, with more days on the lower end of the scale than the upper.

Out of those three months, there were four weeks total that we used the A/C for at least part of the day. Two or three of those days we even ran it at night.

High 80s for part of the day is really not HOT HOT to me, although I know people's tolerances vary. I do consider upper 90s and 100s to be uncomfortably hot. And the most uncomfortable of all are the days when it doesn't cool off at night. As I mentioned, there were a handful of days when the nighttime lows were just way too high. But compared to some other areas where nights are warm all summer long, it was pretty minimal.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:04 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, "hot" but not HOT for all of that time. In my city (inland OC) from August through October (July was relatively cool; October was hot), highs ranged from the high 80s to the low 100s, with more days on the lower end of the scale than the upper.

Out of those three months, there were four weeks total that we used the A/C for at least part of the day. Two or three of those days we even ran it at night.

High 80s for part of the day is really not HOT HOT to me, although I know people's tolerances vary. I do consider upper 90s and 100s to be uncomfortably hot. And the most uncomfortable of all are the days when it doesn't cool off at night. As I mentioned, there were a handful of days when the nighttime lows were just way too high. But compared to some other areas where nights are warm all summer long, it was pretty minimal.
I agree. I don't use AC a ton either (we have central), and I don't let my house get up into the upper 70's either. Despite being an old house in the LA Basin about 10-15 miles from the beach, the insulation is good enough that usually my house doesn't start to feel warm until late afternoon, right about when it starts to cool off outside and I can just open up the windows. This year, we ran the AC more because of all of the fires and air polution, so we didn't want to open the windows. Probably about 6 weeks of AC, and maybe 2-3 weeks with AC at night.

LA's lower humidity makes higher temps more bearable. Where I grew up near the Gulf of Mexico, upper 80's were almost always awful because of the swampy humidity. In LA, upper 80's is usually pretty comfortable, with the caveat that it can feel hot in the direct sun, and it is usually sunny. We have some nice shade trees in our backyard, and a good sun hat goes a long way if I'm spending a bunch of time in the sun.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:00 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

I lived in Texas. Texas heat is far more uncomfortable and far longer in duration. And by duration, I also mean time of the day, not just extension into a season. The day seems to cool down swiftly.

Lived in Colorado too. Got into the high 90's on occassion, but once the sun went down, it was very comfortable. Can't say the same for a lot of the south.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
For the people from the East Coast- to Cali- then back to the East Coast again. Of course you're real long lasting friends will be the ones from your hometown back east. That should go without saying.
If they haven't died from an opioid overdose...

Old 11-11-2020, 02:01 AM

Lol...there were a few of those but many of my hometown East Coast friends are/were attorneys, doctors, dentists, investment bankers, CPA’s, brand/marketing executives, etc.

Quote:
If they haven't died from an opioid overdose...

Last edited by elchevere; 11-11-2020 at 02:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.