Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times

Advertisements

This is a map of the south from Cooper & Knotts study, graded from most southern to least southern.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 10:08 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
This is a map of the south from Cooper & Knotts study, graded from most southern to least southern.
This map includes WV and OK but not TX...interesting.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post

To expand upon my previous post in regards to Oklahoma vs Virginia, both are still very Southern to me. Oklahoma probably is less so compared to Virginia, because Virginia has a lot of Confederate history and was the definition of the South for a long time. No amount of Northern transplants can change what Virginia used to be, which is fine. I will agree that Conservatism does not equal Southern.
This overstated, at least in NOVA. It's not just about "northern transplants" locals are literally attempting to wipe confederate heritage from NOVA all the time.

High schools, monuments, and highways across the state have proposals to remove confederate names. A previous Lt. Governor canadite has already stated she wants to remove all confederate monuments in the state of Virginia.

Now I still consider Virginia southern as a whole, but NOVA at least has clearly made it a point that it doesn't want to be associated with being the "capital of the confederacy" anymore.

Lt. Governor candidate wants to remove all Virginia Confederate Monuments – The Bull Elephant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.67f695424bef

https://patch.com/virginia/kingstown...ee-high-school

Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
This doesn't include Texas????

As for Oklahoma vs Virginia, I would guess Oklahoma, but I took a drive about an hour outside of DC yesterday and confederate flags certainly popped up. Virginia is deep south country I guess. Never thought of that.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

As for Oklahoma vs Virginia, I would guess Oklahoma, but I took a drive about an hour outside of DC yesterday and confederate flags certainly popped up. Virginia is deep south country I guess. Never thought of that.
There are confederate flags in upstate NY and PA as well, just for reference. I've been witness to this.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:

VA isn't the Deep South but it's the South.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
Quote:

The study, which is a continuation of the studies conducted by John Shelton Reed at the UNC, is based on southern oriented terminology in businesses and public spaces, it didn't include cultural or self-identification aspects.

Here is a fun sort of survey by a real estate firm in NC.

https://www.twiddy.com/southern-charm/

Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post

Oklahoma is a weird mix of midwest, southwest, Texas and south. Cowboy culture is very strong.
As someone who has lived in each extreme region of Oklahoma and in the middle (OKC), this is probably the most accurate description on the thread. And while southern probably is the strongest element among all of them it is highly annoying when people try and classify Oklahoma as a purely southern state because it just isn't.

Meanwhile, it would seem that NOVA is the only thing that throws a monkey wrench into the "southernness" of Virginia.

I would guess that NOVA is less "southern" than any place in Oklahoma save maybe the border counties of NW Oklahoma and SW Kansas. But for obviously different reasons.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 PM

23 posts, read 24,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Being Baptist doesn't make a place Southern. Is it a Southern influence? Yes but that's all it is by itself.
No, being Christian doesn't make someone southern, but being Baptist kind of does though. It's the largest form of Christianity found in the south and the definition of the Bible belt is more based around where there's Baptist. And Oklahoma is like 2 times more Baptist than Virginia.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:19 PM

23 posts, read 24,692 times
Quote:

As someone from Chicago, lot's of our blue collar workers fly confederate flags on their trucks, and it's not like you don't see confederate flags in Maryland either. You'll find those flags north and south of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.