Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 05:02 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
You think so? In my experience people here will use any excuse to speak to you.
Maybe it's that way inside the city for twenty or thirty somethings. I live in Douglas County and people seem to use any excuse not to speak to folks they don't already know. Even parents you've met at other kids birthday parties act like that. Once the ice is broken though most people are friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 06:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 682,834 times
Boston's introversion is dependent upon the individual inhabitant's level of sobriety.

Old 01-30-2022, 06:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Indianapolis and Cincinnati would have to be two of the most introverted cities by far that I've been to. Probably due to majority of people having Germanic ancestry. People get a bit friendlier towards the Great Lakes and quite a bit friendlier into the South.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:46 AM

256 posts, read 155,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
<sigh> Seriously, why is it so hard to simply WRITE, "Which cities have the largest proportion of introverted or extroverted people?" THAT would be clear and correct. Asking what "city" is the most introverted is just, well, silly, since CITIES cannot be introverted or extroverted -- but the people IN THEM can be.

See, that wasn't hard at all, was it?
Because that's not the question - it has to do with culture, not population proportions. And it's just easier to use metonymy than spell everything out exhaustingly.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:05 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Ones that stand out...

extroverted:
LA
Vegas
Dallas
Baltimore (almost too much)
Atlanta
Nashville (never been but the people I've met from there, wow...)

Introverted:
Hartford
Boston
DC
Seattle (never been, but never disputed)
SF

Old 01-31-2022, 09:25 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Extroverted:
Nashville
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas

Introverted:
Seattle
DC

Old 01-31-2022, 09:28 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Extroverted
New York
Atlanta
Boston
Chicago
Orlando
Tampa
Dade County

Introverted
Seattle
Pittsburgh
Washington DC
Syracuse
South Jersey

Old 01-31-2022, 03:43 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
People are consistently leaving out what I believe to be the most introverted city in the country by a mile - San Jose.

I'm not sure if that's because people lump it in with San Francisco or because it's not a place people typically think about or are familiar with, but San Jose makes DC, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco seem like Nashville in comparison. Due to Silicon Valley and maybe other reasons, the culture is so inherently inward facing - people never interact or even make eye contact unless they know each other. I'd argue this vibe extends up the Peninsula as well.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
People are consistently leaving out what I believe to be the most introverted city in the country by a mile - San Jose.

I'm not sure if that's because people lump it in with San Francisco or because it's not a place people typically think about or are familiar with, but San Jose makes DC, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco seem like Nashville in comparison. Due to Silicon Valley and maybe other reasons, the culture is so inherently inward facing - people never interact or even make eye contact unless they know each other. I'd argue this vibe extends up the Peninsula as well.
People never interact in San Jose? That's literally not possible. Never make eye contact? Come on...

Old 02-01-2022, 12:30 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
People never interact in San Jose? That's literally not possible. Never make eye contact? Come on...
Obviously, I'm exaggerating to make a point. I'm just saying the level of introversion in San Jose and its immediate suburbs is next level. Other cities people are listing here - San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, etc - don't come anywhere close to San Jose/Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.