Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
dont have actual pics of it

area 3 is considered midtown. i didnt even know we had one
Yeah I think it's a fairly new thing. When I was a kid that part of Nashville was called "West End." I guess calling it midtown is supposed to make it sound more cosmopolitan? Who knows. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of it:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 PM

I lived in midtown Memphis and LOVED it. Very walkable, very historic, very FUN. I know these pictures make it look deserted for some reason.

Madison Avenue looking east:

Union Avenue looking west:

Railroad overpass on Cooper Street:

The Cooper-Young neighborhood:

Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
what a cool railroad overpass!
I've never been to Memphis but it looks very intriguing from your pics

Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
what a cool railroad overpass!
I've never been to Memphis but it looks very intriguing from your pics
Thanks! Memphis, like many other old rivertowns, gets a bum rap. It's like a smaller version of Saint Louis: gritty, blue collar, a downtown that's seen better days, but with some really fun, really hip urban neighborhoods. Memphis also has quite a bit of musical heritage that makes it fun to visit, between Stax Records (Isaac Hayes, Otis Redding, Booker T) and Sun Studio (Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison). It's actually got a really groovy live music scene that towns its size (except Nashville) don't have.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 AM

794 posts, read 3,357,543 times
Baton Rouge has a MidCity. It's east of downtown centered around Government Street. It caters to a lot of local businesses and older residential neighborhoods. But it has no high rises.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
You are correct, Memphis is a smaller version of St. Louis in many ways but it seems to me that while St. Louis has turned a corner and is not only growing but has many new projects in and around the city, Memphis is still stagnating.

I wish Memphis well. I like the city and it's feel.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I think it's a fairly new thing. When I was a kid that part of Nashville was called "West End." I guess calling it midtown is supposed to make it sound more cosmopolitan? Who knows. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of it:
Yeah, it's also called "the Vandy area" and "Hillsboro Village." I've even heard that small area of Church Street referred to as "the gay district." lol
Nashville seems to have a thing for naming every 4 blocks of the city.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
You are correct, Memphis is a smaller version of St. Louis in many ways but it seems to me that while St. Louis has turned a corner and is not only growing but has many new projects in and around the city, Memphis is still stagnating.

I wish Memphis well. I like the city and it's feel.
Actually, according to US Census statistics, Memphis is growing faster than Saint Louis. Between 2000-2006 Saint Louis added 97,681 residents, a 3.6 percent growth rate, for a total 2006 population of 2.8 million. Memphis added 69,510 residents, a 5.8 percent growth rate for a total 2006 population of 1.3 million. Between 2000-2006, metro Saint Louis had a net increase of 3,233 people moving in vs moving out. Metro Memphis had a net in-migration of 18,974.

I love Saint Louis, too. It's a cool city with some great urban neighborhoods and a ton of civic pride. It's also a great sports town--something Memphis is not.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM

572 posts, read 1,995,245 times
JMT,
I stand humbled and corrected.
But is it also my imagination that Memphis isn't doing near as many new projects as St. Louis or Nashville??

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
JMT,
I stand humbled and corrected.
But is it also my imagination that Memphis isn't doing near as many new projects as St. Louis or Nashville??
If you mean new skyscrapers, you're right, I don't think there are many in the pipeline for Memphis. But the housing construction market in the Memphis area (read: suburbs) is pretty healthy as people continue to flee the city and move to the suburbs. Same goes for new shopping centers which are springing up all over the suburbs but are dying in the city. I guess in that respect, Memphis is more like a small Detroit.

However, downtown Memphis is seeing a huge renaissance in residential development, mainly in cool old buildings that are being converted into condos. Downtown Memphis has something like 5 times the number of residents as downtown Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.