Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 AM

34 posts, read 63,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Indiana is in the northeast??
I was quoting indiana as a separate place apart from the northeast, which is why I put a comma between Boston and indiana, don't challenge me, I'm smarter than you'll ever be.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Quote:
I dislike larger metro areas overall. I stick to smaller communities where I feel more comfortable.

You're preaching to the choir....... yet I hate to be more than an hour
from one. They are fun to visit.

Personally I like a diverse, medium size towns with moderate
weather and moderate views. Extremes just suck the life
right out of you.

Places that turned me off: Gary In.. St. George Ut.. Phoenix Az..
Las Vegas and San Bernardino.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM

16 posts, read 86,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
What places in America would you never live in? Or you would rather not live in? and explain your reasons for them.

I would never live in anyplace in the South, no offense to anyone that lives down there. Im from the North Coast (around Cleveland) and I hate that the south still has so much segregation and racism. Also its already hot enough in Cleveland in the summer, and its even hotter down south. The south is also not urban enough for me. I would also never live anyplace thats more than 1 hour from a large city, I cant stand being in the middle of nowhere, I dont really like rural areas. I also dont think I would ever live in the desert. I need to be close to a water source.
That is fine that you would choose not to live in the south. However, let me ask you something. Have you not been to the south since ...say.. 1960? The racist thing you bring up is pretty bogus. Many of my neighbors are black. Heck, my daughter-in-law is half black!` And we didn't even have a lynching! Yuck yuck! Some of my co-workers are black women whom I adore for the wonderful people they are. You make a lame excuse for not moving to the south there my friend! I have never seen a kkk member or even known anyone who has. I was born in Macon, Georgia. You don't get much more southern than that! My child goes to school with many black children and one of my favorite teachers he ever had was black. Perhaps something that you don't realize is that because there was a problem here in the south with race realtionships, it has been concentrated on for so many years that it is pretty much a non issue. I don't encounter blacks being mistreated or even hear of them complaining of being mistreated by whites. Where have you been? What have you seen or heard? You must watch a lot of TV and movies that continue to portray the south and our way of life as backwoods and the Dukes of Hazzard! What a comic book portrayal! That is just obnoxious for you to tout that the south has race problems. Where do you get your info? I dare you to come down here and show me what you are talking about!
You say that you don't want to live in a rural area? Me either! I did that once for 9 years and never again. DO you think there is really a road named Tobacco? I live in a city with a major university and plenty of cultural events. We even have a symphony, libraries, operas, museums! Imagine that! WE have shopping malls and shopping centers and real doctors with real medical degrees. Oh, and if you get really sick, you can go to a little town called Atlanta and go to Emory or Raleigh, NC to Duke. We can also go and see dancing on a stage. And I dont' mean clogging - a little thing called ballet. And my child goes to a Nationally ranked school in a nationally competitive school district where many of the teachers are nationally board certified. And yes, my child has manners and says "Yes mam and no mam and yes sir and no sir." A quaint little thing we in the south insist that properly raised children abide by - even in the public schools. And yes, we do eat grits and barbeque that is slow cooked in a pit and we like our sports and way of life here. But don't tell me you don't want to come here because you would have to live in a rural area. I guess Atlanta is rural since it is 10th largest in the nation.
You can tell me you don't like the humidity. You can't abide a southern accent pr a slower pace and gracious living where people may still wave to you on the streets in some parts - even if they don't like you. But don't tell me it is because we mistreat or don't like people because they are black. You want to live in a big city? We have a few. I live in the capitol of my state and we live in a city that is progressive and yet holds near and dear its' southern culture. And I don't mean that we are proud that there was slavery here. But we are a smart people who have made amends to our ways and have chosen to progress into a culture of people who are willing to embrace change and live in a way to prove it. I have heard people from northern states use the 'N' word with great ease. That is not tolerated here. We may not - as white people - always enjoy the same things as those who are African Americans. They have distinct things in their culture that may be different. But we have found common ground and that is the ground of humankind and kindred spirit. We love our families, we have strong ties of faith and have learned to come to terms with one another in a way that perhaps, my friend, would astound you.
And should you come south, do not be surprised if someone tells you, "Ya'll come back and see us." and mean it!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneewhitehe View Post
And yes, my child has manners and says "Yes mam and no mam and yes sir and no sir." A quaint little thing we in the south insist that properly raised children abide by - even in the public schools.
Properly raised children...something that's lacking in *some*cities

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
I was quoting indiana as a separate place apart from the northeast, which is why I put a comma between Boston and indiana, don't challenge me, I'm smarter than you'll ever be.
Apparently not. Learn to use correct punctuation. And learn to capitalize place names.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM

87 posts, read 290,462 times
Pretty much anywhere in the Midwest, or Wyoming

Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Reneewhitehe calm down. I wonder why you are so easily offended about a couple little things that I said. All Im saying is that I know a lot of people who have went down there for short periods of time and come back with stories of how bad and open the racism is. Im not one of those snobby people, Im not trying to disrespect anyone in the south, but a lot of people do everyday and they have to have at least some basis or they wouldnt even be saying negative things towards the south. All I said is that I would probably not want to live in the south just based on what I heard of it, but I will reconsider if I visit and dont have any bad experiences there. I dont have anything against the south personally.

Also I grew up in a mixed neighborhood with Blacks, Whites, puerto ricans, mixed race, and others. The neighborhoods to the south were mostly black and even though I grew up with blacks and a lot of my friends were black and mixed I never use the 'n' word either.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:39 AM

251 posts, read 895,596 times
To me, it gets really old at how people seem to dog the south on a subject that is pretty much extinct. That was pretty much over 40 years ago. We have moved on down here and pretty much become one.

Was the south the only place race riots took place?

Another thing, do not believe all you hear. I grew up in a rural area in the country. I went to school in a town of maybe 5-600 people. There were maybe 12 black students out of maybe 400 kids in k-12. Those students were treated with respect. OMG and that was in the early 90's when I graduated high school. No one pushed them to the side because they were of the African American race. They were envolved with everything we as white students were.

It just gets really old hearing peoples comments and setting down to watch t.v. to only have the south, once again, stereotyped as a racist segregated area of the country. Gone With The Wind, just as the title says, shows the old south is gone. Mississippi Burning was a movie. Yes, I am sure those things occured, but it was before my time. That was in the past, people are different today. People my age are more accepting of things that are different. Can you believe, I am a white married hetro male,32 years old and have gay friends in the deep south? I do not care what people think of me. It is the new south! We are moving forward, not backward.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 AM

325 posts, read 787,532 times
I lived and traveled the South for two years and I will firmly say that there is more racism in cities like L.A. and states like California than there is in the South. Unfortunately I did enter the South with the same hesitation that many have, thinking that it was still buried in the 1950s, but that is definitely not the case. Now it is not perfect but the racial tension there was not at all what I expected and much less than I had experienced in other places I have lived (mostly on the West Coast). To be honest, I fell in love with the South and would love to move back if given the chance.

As for where I would never live (barring an absolutely perfect, and I mean perfect, job opportunity), I would have to say Phoenix, Las Vegas, places like that, for the sole reason being climate-related. I absolutely love the ocean, rain, humidity (probably why I like the South so much!) and absolutely hated my 12 years that I spent in Reno. Just way too dry for me.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwjake20 View Post
Then capitalize the word Indiana!

What exactly are you "smarter" at anyways? Knowing different cheeses based on blindfold taste tests? Knowing every single player on the Green Bay Packers' roster? Knowing what brats taste best when soaked in Milwaukee's Best beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.