Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 12:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
I'm having a hard time thinking of even one city which has a solid technology sector, but is not overwhelmingly politically "progressive". Are there any such cities I'm missing?

Specifically, it's important to me to be in a place where there is at least some political diversity and where different viewpoints are tolerated. (FWIW, I'm politically moderate.) However, I also need the area to have at least some technology presence. (Remote software development work is often available, but I don't want to rely on it.) That said, it's not important to me to actually work in the technology sector. Applying my technology skills to other industries would be perfectly fine.

That said, I'd also prefer to avoid archconservative and/or generally intolerant places, even if the intolerance isn't directed at me.
I think most truly intolerant places wouldn't be able to sustain a solid technology sector, as they typically have a less skilled and educated work force and few resources for growing businesses. Conservative is a different matter - and suburban areas in many parts of the South, Midwest, and Mountain states have job opportunities in software development, systems design, and other related functions. These locations may not be left leaning politically but are still open minded in terms of being hospitable environments for people from a variety of backgrounds.

It may be best if you specify the technologies or roles you are targeting, so people can recommend metropolitan areas that have a high concentration of related opportunities. But for overall political diversity and tolerance combined with a strong technology presence, Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham are among the good places to investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:21 PM

96 posts, read 135,874 times
With the big caveat that I haven't lived there, San Diego suburbs come to mind. Strong tech sector. I have a few friends there. One set of friends who live there are conservative and Mormon, grew up in the area and feel like they fit in fine. Another friend is an Indian immigrant and he feels welcomed there, too. These friends are all raising families and from what I can see, there's a "live and let live and let's all enjoy the beautiful weather!" mentality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.