Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 AM

18 posts, read 17,041 times

Advertisements

hey guys,

So in October i am handing in my visa (Spouse) paperwork to move to the US. Currently my partner and i are living in Brisbane, Australia. My partner is from Lynnwood, WA so we will probably move there until and live with her parents until we are stable. While i love the idea of living in Washington, it is pretty expensive so does anyone have any other suggestions on decently priced areas to live? We were thinking Boise as well but not sure.

Little bit of background on myself, I'm 26 and a HUGE sports fan. I currently work In Telco/Retail as a manager for one of the biggest Telcos in Australia. I am keen to do anything and just hoping i can find work easy enough. I have visited Seattle before and loved it. I do prefer cooler weather but a mixture of both is great. Sorry for the vague questions, just trying to think about the move at the moment and money ill need to save. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie236 View Post
hey guys,

So in October i am handing in my visa (Spouse) paperwork to move to the US. Currently my partner and i are living in Brisbane, Australia. My partner is from Lynnwood, WA so we will probably move there until and live with her parents until we are stable. While i love the idea of living in Washington, it is pretty expensive so does anyone have any other suggestions on decently priced areas to live? We were thinking Boise as well but not sure.

Little bit of background on myself, I'm 26 and a HUGE sports fan. I currently work In Telco/Retail as a manager for one of the biggest Telcos in Australia. I am keen to do anything and just hoping i can find work easy enough. I have visited Seattle before and loved it. I do prefer cooler weather but a mixture of both is great. Sorry for the vague questions, just trying to think about the move at the moment and money ill need to save. Thanks for reading.
Do you like small cities or big cities? You could take a look at Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Portland (Maine or Oregon), Burlington VT, upstate NY, Chicago, Providence RI, Portsmouth NH.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Do you like small cities or big cities? You could take a look at Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Portland (Maine or Oregon), Burlington VT, upstate NY, Chicago, Providence RI, Portsmouth NH.
I'm not too fussed either way but maybe I'd prefer a big city. I'll definitely have a look into those areas, thank you very much!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:56 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times
I lived in Asia for several years, and during that time I met many Australians who had moved abroad. They all had their reasons, but Australia seems like such a great place to live from an outsiders perspective. May I ask what your reasons are for wanting to leave?

Seattle is a very cool city in the USA if you can handle the dreary weather. Portland is similar to Seattle in some of the key ways that make both places cool. It also has dreary weather, but there isn't really anything else that I can think of that is wrong with those two cities. There is a lot of work in Texas at the moment, and Austin Texas is a very cool city too. If you surf, Los Angeles or San Diego might be good places to check out. New Orleans is another very cool city. If you can provide more details about your interests etc, maybe we can help narrow down which area you will enjoy the most.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:05 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Default Natural disaster risks

Here are a few threads that may interest you, if you're expecting to settle down in the new location.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-disaster.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...tion-zone.html

What pro sports most interest you?

E.g., perhaps narrow down your list by checking out cities with NBA teams if basketball is an interest.

If you participate in athletics or outdoor activities, which ones?

If cost of living is a concern, Kansas City, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis are relatively very good pro sports cities, but only Cleveland among these four has an NBA franchise. St. Louis no longer has an NFL team. Akron is 30 minutes from Cleveland pro sports venues, and, if you're a biker, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is located between Cleveland and Akron.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_es...o-live/10.html

Cleveland also is a great music city, with a world-class orchestra and art museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/03/...ic-lovers.html

Cleveland has four distinct seasons, with the snow season generally lasting from late December through February, although there can be significant snow as early as mid-November and as late as early March.

You can check average weather for major cities here (click on Centigrade in the upper right corner), including for individual months and even days.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Last edited by WRnative; 05-17-2016 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Seattle is a great place for a tech person, including a significant presence in telecom starting with T-Mobile.

Lynnwood is a sprawly middle-priced suburb. Bus service to Seattle's core is ok. Rail is years away. It's densifying slightly but mostly not walkable. I'd suggest moving closer in, even if that means trading home size for neighborhood quality.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Try Tacoma, Wa. Still is affordable and the arts scene is very alive. Many neat neighborhoods, and growing by the day.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
I lived in Asia for several years, and during that time I met many Australians who had moved abroad. They all had their reasons, but Australia seems like such a great place to live from an outsiders perspective. May I ask what your reasons are for wanting to leave?

Seattle is a very cool city in the USA if you can handle the dreary weather. Portland is similar to Seattle in some of the key ways that make both places cool. It also has dreary weather, but there isn't really anything else that I can think of that is wrong with those two cities. There is a lot of work in Texas at the moment, and Austin Texas is a very cool city too. If you surf, Los Angeles or San Diego might be good places to check out. New Orleans is another very cool city. If you can provide more details about your interests etc, maybe we can help narrow down which area you will enjoy the most.
I love Australia it's beautiful but I just want a change, I've been over there many times and love it, it's my sort of place, the sport, food, lifestyle & everything is convenient.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Here are a few threads that may interest you, if you're expecting to settle down in the new location.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-disaster.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...tion-zone.html

What pro sports most interest you?

E.g., perhaps narrow down your list by checking out cities with NBA teams if basketball is an interest.

If you participate in athletics or outdoor activities, which ones?

If cost of living is a concern, Kansas City, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis are relatively very good pro sports cities, but only Cleveland among these four has an NBA franchise. St. Louis no longer has an NFL team. Akron is 30 minutes from Cleveland pro sports venues, and, if you're a biker, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park is located between Cleveland and Akron.

St. Louis, Missouri - Here are the 10 most affordable places to live - CNNMoney

Cleveland also is a great music city, with a world-class orchestra and art museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/03/...ic-lovers.html

Cleveland has four distinct seasons, with the snow season generally lasting from late December through February, although there can be significant snow as early as mid-November and as late as early March.

You can check average weather for major cities here (click on Centigrade in the upper right corner), including for individual months and even days.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States
Probably basketball, lebron is my idol but I love baseball and football too. I've heard a lot about Cleveland but don't know if my partner would move there. I would like to check it out though

Old 05-18-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Try Tacoma, Wa. Still is affordable and the arts scene is very alive. Many neat neighborhoods, and growing by the day.
Yeah will do, heard its decently priced there but a lot of people mention crime is bad and it smells? We drove through there and didn't stop so I would have no idea..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.