Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 05:30 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
No, neither city of the Deep South. And if you go by demographics, they may not even be considered Southern at all.
While I agree that neither city to me are Deep South. Both are still Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 04:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Deep south seems to have to do with the section rather than the state as a whole. Living in NC I was always taught anything south of us (excluding FL) was the deep south of course. The Northeast seems to just focus purely on state lines. Buffalo and Philly, for example, are both regarded as northeastern despite being on different sections of their individual state. The South as a whole is more focus on arbitrary culture than geography. If a state or a reigon doesn't follow a set of rules than it's not southern in the North it's all about statelines.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:29 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at all. North Georgia feels a world apart from south Georgia in several ways. Both are obviously Southern, but one is Upland South and the other Deep Southern.
You mean a world apart from any other place in the Deep South in regards to levels of racial hostility. As recently as 1990, and despite the close proximity to Atlanta, the adjacent counties of Cherokee, Dawson, Forsyth, and Pickens combined, had a total white population of 154,000, and a total black population of only 1,900. Makes you wonder why the only one among them that was seen as a " Sundown Town " was Forsyth County.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
You mean a world apart from any other place in the Deep South in regards to levels of racial hostility. As recently as 1990, and despite the close proximity to Atlanta, the adjacent counties of Cherokee, Dawson, Forsyth, and Pickens combined, had a total white population of 154,000, and a total black population of only 1,900. Makes you wonder why the only one among them that was seen as a " Sundown Town " was Forsyth County.
Don't you ever talk about anything else? For the love of God, please find a new schtick.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM

811 posts, read 887,708 times
North Georgia and Chattanooga are not Deep South. North Georgia is the Appalachian region of Georgia. In addition, Huntsville, AL and surrounding areas is not Deep South either. North Georgia, North Alabama, Middle and East Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky along with Western North Carolina, SW Virginia and NW corner of South Carolina are Upland South and/or Appalachian, at least in my mind from my multiple travels through this region and things I have read.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 AM

467 posts, read 426,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
North Georgia and Chattanooga are not Deep South. North Georgia is the Appalachian region of Georgia. In addition, Huntsville, AL and surrounding areas is not Deep South either. North Georgia, North Alabama, Middle and East Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky along with Western North Carolina, SW Virginia and NW corner of South Carolina are Upland South and/or Appalachian, at least in my mind from my multiple travels through this region and things I have read.
Thank you. This is a perfect description of what I'd consider Upland/Appalachian Southern.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
If we're just focusing on state lines GA is definitely deep south. TN, NC and AR is what I consider mid-south, not deep south which means still very much apart of the south and follow all southern traditions but those states have very influenced by other regions of the US and have aren't too far from the North aka Midwest\Northeast.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:43 PM

119 posts, read 139,753 times
Default "Deep South" is a region, not states

We must think of regional and cultural that geographic state lines.

The Deep South is CLEARLY southern Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and northwestern Louisiana. Thank you and God Bless.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:34 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Northern Florida (bordering GA) could also be lumped in with "deep south", but the rest of Florida, no.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,949,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf of Aden View Post
We must think of regional and cultural that geographic state lines.

The Deep South is CLEARLY southern Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and northwestern Louisiana. Thank you and God Bless.
I would definitely add SC to this list. I was reading an issue of the Saturday Evening Post from 1957 yesterday, and focused on SC, GA, AL, and MS as an article defending those states stubborn policies for desegregation after the rest of the region had enforced integration. Piedmont GA is also quite deep south, though of course with an urban anomaly (Atlanta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.