Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 05:09 PM

75 posts, read 132,859 times

Advertisements

Any either: neighborhoods you can think of within a large northeast city, or a distinct smaller/mid-sized city... that reminds you of the general "feel" (outdoorsy and laid back, yet cosmopolitan and with all the amenities) of cities in California, like San Luis Obispo?

What would your northeast equivalent be to the following California cities and explain WHY?
Huntington Beach = ?
Santa Barbara = ?
San Luis Obispo = ?
Monterey = ?
Burlingame/San Mateo = ?

I realize there is no exact match because California and the northeast are two distinct and literally opposite (east/west) places, but for comparison sake, can you draw some equivalents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 05:19 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,249,098 times
The equivalent to Monterrey would probably be Newburyport MA. Both are historic seaports with vibrant tourism industries and cute downtown's.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:37 PM

473 posts, read 524,549 times
It's not perfect, but I would say that places on Long Island could approximate the general feel of some of those cities. The North Fork has wineries (San Luis Obsipo), Suffolk County has the Hamptons (Huntington Beach, Santa Barbara) and the Five Towns represents the wealthy commuter 'burbs close to the big city (Burlingame/San Mateo). Maybe someplace like Mystic, CT for Monterey. (And you didn't ask, but Fire Island would be Santa Cruz.)

Old 05-23-2016, 06:37 PM

75 posts, read 132,859 times
Thanks! Any thoughts on larger cities, or neighborhoods within larger cities in the northeast?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:08 PM

94,274 posts, read 125,222,432 times
For a small city, Ithaca NY would fit the "general" feel aspects for sure.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:32 PM

94,274 posts, read 125,222,432 times
Burlington VT could also fit the general criteria. Same with Amherst and Northampton in MA.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:03 PM

13,018 posts, read 22,220,707 times
My answers in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander_x View Post
Any either: neighborhoods you can think of within a large northeast city, or a distinct smaller/mid-sized city... that reminds you of the general "feel" (outdoorsy and laid back, yet cosmopolitan and with all the amenities) of cities in California, like San Luis Obispo?

What would your northeast equivalent be to the following California cities and explain WHY?
Huntington Beach = I can't really think of a place. Maybe somewhere on Long Island or the Northern New Jersey Shore.

Santa Barbara = This one's tough. If we're emphasizing size, I'd say Portland, ME. They're close in size, both communities that are surrounded by the sea and nature, and both do a big tourism business. However, I think Newport, Rhode Island reminds me more of Santa Barbara in spite of the fact that it's a good deal smaller. Both have reputations as playgrounds for the rich and famous and the "feel" is more similar. Portland, ME still has a working waterfront and a bit of a bohemian vibe, whereas Newport and Santa Barbara really feel like places that have long been heavily recreational.

San Luis Obispo = Saratoga Springs, NY came to mind immediately. Of the cities you listed, it's the most disconnected from a major urban area. It's also charmingly beautiful and very much tied into the natural surroundings. I think they feel comparably sized (admittedly, I've only spent a few hours in San Luis Obispo).

Monterey = Portsmouth, NH. Both have walkable centers, picturesque waterfronts and notable historic neighborhoods (Strawberry Bank and Cannery Row) and a long history of seafood and seafaring tradition. Both are located on gorgeous strips of coast and surrounded by some fairly scenic and affluent communities. Monterey and Newport do a good tourism business, but I wouldn't say that either has fully gentrified yet.

Burlingame/San Mateo = This is tougher, but I see smilarities between Burlingam/San Mateo and some of the DC burbs like Bethesda and Rockville. They're well connected to the urban cores by rail transit, and have walkable centers around the transit lines.

I realize there is no exact match because California and the northeast are two distinct and literally opposite (east/west) places, but for comparison sake, can you draw some equivalents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.