Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 22,487 times

Advertisements

Thank you for everyone who has responded. I found the information very helpful. I also want to give a little more detail. Most of the recommendations seemed to be big towns. We were thinking much smaller. Asheville got several recommendations but it has 68,000 people. We want to be within an hour drive of a big city but live in one that has no more than 10,000 people.

My husband will be able to get a job with the state or private group, and with him wanting to work in social services, the need is everywhere. So we're not terribly concerned about getting a job.

It's nice to know about the tax situation. So that has us leaning more towards TN and NC. We also want to keep our housing costs as low as possible. We want a minimum of 2 acres preferably around 10 and want to stay under $150,000. We also really want water. Can anyone tell me about critters? Bugs? Snakes?

Weather wise, we'll stay away from the coast, not fond of hurricanes.

Thanks again for everything. I really appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:12 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
I can't speak about all the states, but I lived 27 of my earlier years in Greeneville, TN. You might look into one of the smaller towns surrounding the Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson city areas. Living in this area will put you in the upper northeastern section of Tennessee which would also be convenient to western North Carolina and southern Kentucky.

I have friends who lived in Franklin, KY and left after five years of trying to make a go of it. Land was CHEAP though...they had 5 acres and a house. They're now in Savannah, GA.

Though I've spent many good days and nights in western North Carolina and I have nothing bad to say about it (fishing is awesome!), my personal recommendation would be Jonesborough Tennessee. Maybe you could readup on those CD boards, too. Lots of really nice folks willing to help there as well.

Good luck with your search and selection!

Update: Having just read about your critter question, I was raised around East Tennessee lakes, rivers & streams and there was hardly ever a weekend to pass that I didn't see a snake and I still have a scar from some type of spider. Depending on what type of land you buy and where, you may also see raccoons, deer, rabbits, squirrels, possums and if you're far up into the mountains, an occasional bear. Of course, they are less common in populated areas, but very possible.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-17-2008 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-17-2008, 03:25 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigocolt View Post
Thank you for everyone who has responded. I found the information very helpful. I also want to give a little more detail. Most of the recommendations seemed to be big towns. We were thinking much smaller. Asheville got several recommendations but it has 68,000 people. We want to be within an hour drive of a big city but live in one that has no more than 10,000 people.

My husband will be able to get a job with the state or private group, and with him wanting to work in social services, the need is everywhere. So we're not terribly concerned about getting a job.

It's nice to know about the tax situation. So that has us leaning more towards TN and NC. We also want to keep our housing costs as low as possible. We want a minimum of 2 acres preferably around 10 and want to stay under $150,000. We also really want water. Can anyone tell me about critters? Bugs? Snakes?

Weather wise, we'll stay away from the coast, not fond of hurricanes.

Thanks again for everything. I really appreciate the feedback.
I think you can look at the recommendations, whip out a map and look for smaller towns near the larger cities that were recommended to you.

Near Asheville, check out Waynesville, Marion, Mars Hill.

TampaKaren gave some excellent suggestions for Tennessee. Jonesborough and Rogersville are worth checking out. Also check into Kingston (located right on a lake), Dandridge (also on a lake and the only town in America named for George Washington's wife), and Sweetwater, all three are smaller towns located within an hour of booming Knoxville and each has beautiful, historic town squares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.