Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:44 PM

27 posts, read 33,324 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am an Air Force vet who currently resides with the wife and kids in Fairbanks Alaska. I have driven all over the U. S. and have seen my beautiful towns and communities. The wife and I were talking and started to think about maybe moving somewhere else in the country. We're not planning anytime in the next year, but after that is open season.
So the question is, have you ever picked up your family and home and moved to somewhere entirely new? Any advice? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:08 PM

93,786 posts, read 124,527,296 times
What are you looking for in a place to live in?

Old 06-26-2016, 05:18 PM

Me personally, a stable local economy, balanced seasons, a little more country and private but a city within a reasonable distance for nights out. Affordable COL. Nothing really complex. I can adapt to most locations pretty well. My wife hasn't really left Alaska and my kids are pretty young so they make new friends easy. My wife just wants to go somewhere new.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 PM

Perhaps areas like Grand Rapids MI and Columbus OH could be a couple to consider.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,351 times
Any more criteria so things can be narrowed down a bit? It's a big county as you know.
What is affordable re; housing (whether renting or buying)? That's an important piece of information.
How about a family r.v. vacation to see what inspires each of you as individuals and the family as a whole? Where each and all "light up" and where you all can imagine yourselves being.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 06-26-2016 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 09:21 PM

I'm from Ohio and have been to Cbus a dozen times. It's a nice city in my opinion. Never been to Grand Rapids though. May have to check that out at some point.

60K a year is affordable by my standards. That's only one income though. A second income would be implented after relocation of course. Alaska is pretty expensive though so I imagine I could probably cut it in some other places with a higher cost of living as well. Just requires a good budget is all.

I've lived in Abilene Texas, Salt Lake City Utah, Fairbanks Alaska, and Youngstown Ohio. But I've driven through and visited 40 of the states. I really liked places like Spirit Lake Minnesota and a town in Iowa. The name escapes me but it was really "vintage" 1950s. Had nice old brick structures and a classical styled main street. I've heard good things about South Carolina too. I liked Las Vegas but the heat is killer.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,629 times
Try the extreme outer northern suburbs of Atlanta such as Canton, Cummings, Buford, etc. You will be far enough away from the CITY but still close enough for when you want to check out games, concerts, etc. The cost of living up there is cheap and you will be close to several lakes and the North Georgia Mountains.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 AM

Another area that may work is the Franklin/Williamson County area outside of Nashville. It is a growing area with some of the best schools in the state. Downtown Franklin TN - America

Franklin, Tennessee - Rooted in Americana

Relocate To Williamson CountyWilliamson, Inc.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 AM

731 posts, read 821,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another area that may work is the Franklin/Williamson County area outside of Nashville. It is a growing area with some of the best schools in the state. Downtown Franklin TN - America

Franklin, Tennessee - Rooted in Americana

Relocate To Williamson CountyWilliamson, Inc.
Franklin is a great place, but it has become frightfully expensive. A salary of $60k might not cut it.

I would recommend Cookeville. It's an hour east of Nashville on the Highland Rim surrounded by waterfalls, lakes, rolling hills, deep hollers. It's a college town with a V.A. clinic, excellent schools, a growing economy (2,000 new jobs so far this year), four balanced and beautiful seasons, low taxes, low cost of living.

I have the owner's permission to share these pics of Cookeville:

Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Franklin is a great place, but it has become frightfully expensive. A salary of $60k might not cut it.

I would recommend Cookeville. It's an hour east of Nashville on the Highland Rim surrounded by waterfalls, lakes, rolling hills, deep hollers. It's a college town with a V.A. clinic, excellent schools, a growing economy (2,000 new jobs so far this year), four balanced and beautiful seasons, low taxes, low cost of living.

I have the owner's permission to share these pics of Cookeville:

Interesting, as you are the second person on here that has mentioned that about Franklin. Cookeville looks like a great option.

OP, what kind of employment would you be looking for? This may help offer more suggestions.

I thought about Interior Northeastern areas due to proximity to OH and having 4 seasons, but it will depend on the kind of employment you are looking for.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-27-2016 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.