Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better to live, work, & play?
Denver, CO 31 34.83%
Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN) 52 58.43%
Neither 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Compared to Arkansas the Twin Cities might seem dry, but compared to Denver they're downright sticky. Denver wins the climate battle IMNSHO.
Well of course it wins the climate battle. I never claimed otherwise and I wasn't responding to that point, I was responding to a post that claimed the summers were very hot and humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 10:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Although the prevalence is very high in the South, there are rednecks in every state plus every state has southern transplants. I am just wondering if you ever see any Confederate flag proudly displaying by local rednecks in Colorado and Minnesota.
I'm sure some idiots flying Confederate flags exist somewhere in Minnesota, but I've never seen it, personally. The Confederate flag is really just a Southern thing (for obvious reasons) and wouldn't make much sense to display here.

Rednecks here just fly outrageously huge American flags. Basically, if someone's flying an American flag in their yard, you can almost guarantee they're a Republican.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
You said that summers are ridiculously humid in the Twin Cities. I have never been there during summer. I am sure it is not as humid as the summers in the South though.

I was in the Twin Cities once in September. It was very pleasant. I saw many people at the lakes in Southwest Minneapolis.

I prefer the cold so I think I can get adjusted to Minnesota cold after the first winter.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I remember Denver being very brown going to Downtown from the airport but that was during winter in 2014. I don't know if the rest of Colorado is that way.

I frequently used the light rail on 16th St. during one week stay in Downtown Denver. On and off the train, I have noticed that people in Denver are not as friendly as people in Minnesota. Maybe that was just the city. I cannot judge all of Colorado based on Denver.
Yes, Denver metro is mostly brown unless we get rain to help green it up. No one would mistake Denver for lush. And I wouldn't use your 16th St Mall experience as a basis for judging Denver. People there are "weird" and dangerous. That place is a dump.

But the climate here is great. No/low humidity in summers and mild winters. You'll always get nice cool mornings regardless of how hot it will get during the day.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 AM

525 posts, read 718,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'm sure some idiots flying Confederate flags exist somewhere in Minnesota, but I've never seen it, personally. The Confederate flag is really just a Southern thing (for obvious reasons) and wouldn't make much sense to display here.

Rednecks here just fly outrageously huge American flags. Basically, if someone's flying an American flag in their yard, you can almost guarantee they're a Republican.
Your last comment has made my day. I would have thought the same thing. LOL

Old 06-28-2016, 11:56 AM

525 posts, read 718,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yes, Denver metro is mostly brown unless we get rain to help green it up. No one would mistake Denver for lush. And I wouldn't use your 16th St Mall experience as a basis for judging Denver. People there are "weird" and dangerous. That place is a dump.

But the climate here is great. No/low humidity in summers and mild winters. You'll always get nice cool mornings regardless of how hot it will get during the day.
Interesting! I never knew it was a dump. It looked too nice to be a dump. I liked free light rail with easy access to restaurants and bars until you get to Union Station near the park.

I need to visit more of Denver to get a general idea of how people are. I do not expect southern hospitality but friendliness of residents are important to us when deciding on a new location to live.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post

Denver's winters are hardly what I call mild. They get a TON of snow in the winter and it does get cold, though nowhere near as cold as the Twin Cities.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Denver's winters are hardly what I call mild. They get a TON of snow in the winter and it does get cold, though nowhere near as cold as the Twin Cities.
I wouldn't call it a TON. Yes we get snow. Some years we even get blizzards. But for the most part it is sunny and when it snows it melts the next day and is sunny again. Snow hardly ever stays on the ground. Now if you head west up to the mountains that is another story.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:28 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Denver and Minneapolis both receive about 54" of snow per year, but the big difference is that Denver's snow doesn't hang around for months at a time.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
As a city I prefer Minneapolis, mostly because of the lakes and parkway system. As a region there is no comparison, because the rockies are as you would expect, a giant playground.

But if you're not into mountain sports, then Minneapolis offers a much better bang for your buck, and yes, it's hot and humid in the summers. Good Luck.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:25 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,404 times
Minnesota might get sticky for a few to handful of days in a row in the summer, but a cool front will always blow though and bring in nice, warm and dry, sunshiny air from Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.