Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what cities are very cliquish and non-cliquish.

Cliquish:

Denver- It is very uncommon to see people go out that are not married or with their families. When people go to bars and clubs they go in large group. My whole family is from there and we all say the same thing.

Phoenix- It is a very good city for many, but as a single person it is very difficult. I liked it socially with roommates but it is a very, very married city of big families. It is a very rare occasion to see unmarried people past the age of 25 in Metro Phoenix.

Lincoln- I love Lincoln, but it is like the largest small town in America where a vast majority of the non-university students are from there and know everyone in the neighborhood. Seems like the same people in the same neighborhoods who are multi-generational who's families have known each other for generations.

Des Moines: Another great city that I love but it is very, very married and a vast majority of locals to seem to have large family and social networks in the area. It was also weird going to public and it seems the locals are already making small chat like they have known each other for years.

Louisville: Distant with no sense of community at all. I can't say it is cliquish or not, but the people were extremely anti-social. I wish I would have gone to Lexington instead.

Non-Cliquish:

Salt Lake City- lots of transplants in that city, once the ice is broken the people seemed very open

Provo/Orem: I knew many of the co-workers well in a week when I worked there.

Reno- people there seemed very open when I was there, more people then average go out alone.

Los Angeles- At least it was common to see people going out alone and I can't count the number of little conversations I had with people the times I have been there.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 08-09-2016 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:33 PM

131 posts, read 141,693 times
Cliquish - Boston, New York, Philadelphia

Old 08-09-2016, 02:48 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
Cliquish - Boston, New York, Philadelphia
To a degree with both Boston and Philly which sport a large percentage of "homers" (those who never leave) but not so much with NYC as a whole. There are certain areas that might fit that role in NYC with places like the Bronx and parts of Queens or Brooklyn, but overall it's far too transient to be cliquish.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To a degree with both Boston and Philly which sport a large percentage of "homers" (those who never leave) but not so much with NYC as a whole. There are certain areas that might fit that role in NYC with places like the Bronx and parts of Queens or Brooklyn, but overall it's far too transient to be cliquish.

Manhattan is transient but the Bronx, Staten Island, Queens and most of Brooklyn are not.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
NYC is cliquish but I feel like if your a minority or an immigrant it's easy to break into a clique.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
Partially agree with Denver. It's getting more cliquish with all the new transplants coming from major cities, but it is still pretty easy to make friends. You just need to get involved with activities or hobbies that have a community.

Minneapolis is definitively near the top. Not only is it a very sticky city (not many people leave/come it), but the culture and the long winters cause people to stay within their tight circles. Most people have the same friends since high school, and once they all keep married, they basically fall off the face of the earth. And I know it's common everywhere, but it's more abundant. It also feels more cliquish because of the Minnesota Nice. You can go to a bar, start talking to someone, they will give you their number and say how excited they are to hangout sometime, only to never hear from them again. They go through the motions of being nice to you, but it's just that, to be nice. You have to try very very hard to break into a clique, it can be an emotional roller coaster ride, but eventually (months or years later), they finally start to consider you...and of course once your in, you have friends for life. It's a weird enviroment.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM

436 posts, read 521,500 times
St. Louis. What high school did you go to?

Old 08-10-2016, 01:28 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadHere View Post
Manhattan is transient but the Bronx, Staten Island, Queens and most of Brooklyn are not.
As I stated, however most of Brooklyn is pretty transient as well.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As I stated, however most of Brooklyn is pretty transient as well.

There is a lot more to Brooklyn than gentrifying areas around downtown with white folks. A lot more. Most of Brooklyn is not that transient. It's full of families that have been born and raised there.

Manhattan is transient. Some of Brooklyn is transient. I would say 1/4th of it.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:27 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
NYC is definitely cliquish, especially if you're Black; I mean it's not a huge issue, but it's noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.