Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 AM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times

Advertisements

Wow, this has gotten off-topic. I would probably say San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 AM

5 posts, read 10,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
This whole thing with how liberal a place is is played out! I don't know what the big fuss is all about with liberal. They say they are soooo openminded, but there are alot of issues they are closeminded on. Religion is one, I mean how come Chistianity is so bad? If you were truly openminded, you would accept christianity instead of bashing it. Liberals are no more open minded than most conservatives. That being said, New York city is probably the most "liberal" metro in the US. To finish though, although I like NYC, if being a liberal area is so great, how come NYC is also one of the most segregated regions if liberals are soooo great?
Well, if a person is "close-minded" on a lot of issues then I guess they aren't very liberal. Many people who consider themselves to be liberals tend to have a high tolerance of others who don't share or live lifestyles identical to their own. They tend to support freedom for the individual. I don't see how that description goes against religion. Now if you were to say that "Christianity is the only religion worth talking about", then they probably might have a problem with your views. But if you said "All men are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" they would not have an issue with you. Remember, America wouldn't be the beacon of freedom it is today if it wasn't for the open minded thinking of some of our forefathers.

NYC is one of the most segregated cities/regions??? Um, have you ever been throughout the entire city? I doubt you have because if you had you would know that the comment you made is not true.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:13 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
This whole thing with how liberal a place is is played out! I don't know what the big fuss is all about with liberal. They say they are soooo openminded, but there are alot of issues they are closeminded on. Religion is one, I mean how come Chistianity is so bad? If you were truly openminded, you would accept christianity instead of bashing it. Liberals are no more openminded than most conservatives. That being said, New York city is probably the most "liberal" metro in the US. To finish though, although I like NYC, if being a liberal area is so great, how come NYC is also one of the most segregated regions if liberals are soooo great?
NYC is one of the most segregated regions? Also, segregation doesn't necessarily mean racist either. There are a lot of factors that come into play in terms of segregation. With that said, some factors might be due to racism or prejudice.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:15 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Oh yeah, I would say, San Fran., Portland, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Denver, Columbus OH and most college towns across the country.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Philly. It's tough being Conservative here.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
This whole thing with how liberal a place is is played out! I don't know what the big fuss is all about with liberal. They say they are soooo openminded, but there are alot of issues they are closeminded on. Religion is one, I mean how come Chistianity is so bad? If you were truly openminded, you would accept christianity instead of bashing it. Liberals are no more openminded than most conservatives. That being said, New York city is probably the most "liberal" metro in the US. To finish though, although I like NYC, if being a liberal area is so great, how come NYC is also one of the most segregated regions if liberals are soooo great?
Because Christianity is the most imposing religion. That's pretty much it. if the country was 70-80% Jewish, people would complain about Jewish belief systems intruding on their lives.

Very few self described Liberals ever have any problem with Christianity outside it's intrusions on areas that shouldn't concern religion, like Stem Cell Research, Education, etc. But religious people seem to see it as some greater duty to proselytize and frankly, anybody trying to hard to sell something is getting the sprinklers turned on at them.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM

256 posts, read 750,175 times
Quote:
Wtf? Most liberals ARE Christians. They don't bash their own religion!

And if you won't to talk about segregation, San Francisco is one of the least segregated metro areas, and it definitely the most socially liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
True about liberal open mindedness vs. conservative. I think both sides of the aisle need to be a bit more open minded. That said, I believe Christianity is so hated because the loudmouths on the Christian Political Right such as Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, James Dobson make a mockery out of it and paint all Christians with a horrible brush. There are pockets, such as Topeka, KS and Ft. Smith, AR, where the three people I mentioned have quite a following, but throughout most of the US, even Christians don't put much stock into what they say.
Yeah, agreed. Although, sorry, I definitely think conservativevs are less open-minded than liberals. But I guess this isn't a political forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila215 View Post
Well, if a person is "close-minded" on a lot of issues then I guess they aren't very liberal. Many people who consider themselves to be liberals tend to have a high tolerance of others who don't share or live lifestyles identical to their own. They tend to support freedom for the individual. I don't see how that description goes against religion. Now if you were to say that "Christianity is the only religion worth talking about", then they probably might have a problem with your views.
Yep.

Last edited by Sandy Springs Rep.; 12-30-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Lawrence Kansas , Arcata California

Old 12-30-2008, 04:53 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Segregation Still Widespread in US Cities

WASHINGTON - The segregation of minority groups is still widespread in the United States, despite the country's increasingly multiracial population, two studies said.

It said the most segregated US city was New York, followed by Stockton in California, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles/Long Beach, Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa, San Diego, Detroit, Michigan and Atlanta.

Moderator cut: copyrighted article

There you go, America's most segregated cities. SF, NYC, LA and DC wow you Libs are so openminded ! Wow only 2 cities in the South? Those terrible Conservative Southerners, always wanting to live next to others of a different race As I said before, this whole Liberal thing is so played out.

Last edited by Bo; 12-30-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Do not post full text of copyrighted articles, post two sentences and a link.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
Pittsburgh is a very liberal town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.