Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 09:52 AM

1,049 posts, read 569,420 times

Advertisements

My old brother lives in Phoenix now and my good friend has been in Tucson since the early 2000.-Arizona is oven hot. Like 114 degree in Fall hot.

Dry heat (to me) is worse than humid heat. I got headache in Vegas and Joshua Tree. We visited our good friend couple in their house in Palm Spring, March afternoon, 103 degree. You can’t even jump to their outdoor pool, it felt like a hot bath.

I lived in both Sarasota Fl and Houston Tx, in all fairness if you ever lived in West Coast Fl then Houston heat/humidity is nothing. Nothing. I would wake up in our house in Fl at 9 am, walked around the house before turning the a/c on, in March, then felt the sweat beads on the forehead (I’m not the sweaty type. I never even need deodorant.-I just learned from my friend who’s Thai and is a doctor in Columbia in NYC that 80-90% of East Asians don’t have body odor due to the variant of the ABCC11 gene-very interesting info.) because it was SO humid.

One year in FL Houston is hot and humid but not that hot and humid (until these past two weeks.) and our 0.25 acre backyard was very often breezy (summer) and windy (in winter) (for whatever reason.)

Last summer in July I had to go to Crate & Barrel in Austin to pick up something I ordered from Houston.-the dry(er) heat was killing me. I believe it was 102 degree. (I specifically looked at my phone.)

My body just doesn’t seem to process dry heat very well.

Even NYC or generally East Coast summer can get quite humid, but nowhere near as humid as West Coast FL. Or Taiwan, hot and humid is its middle name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 06:54 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Heat index of 90 before 8 am in Houston. Lovely

Old 07-01-2023, 07:19 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
My old brother lives in Phoenix now and my good friend has been in Tucson since the early 2000.-Arizona is oven hot. Like 114 degree in Fall hot.

Dry heat (to me) is worse than humid heat. I got headache in Vegas and Joshua Tree. We visited our good friend couple in their house in Palm Spring, March afternoon, 103 degree. You can’t even jump to their outdoor pool, it felt like a hot bath.

Completely agree….I have seen my cigars unravel in under a minute in Vegas and there is nothing worse than a pounding dehydration headache, which I’ve gotten in Vegas and Phoenix—but not in humid locations. I’m praying to get to the point where I can throw up so that the throbbing pain in my head will begin to subside.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:29 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I can see why Arizona is leading the poll.
We haven't talked about Phoenix in a while, they have had 37 days above 100 so far for the year, with the first time being in April. Texas was beautiful in April.

Arizona highs are so extreme and it lasts so long, it is definitely a top contender for hottest state.
The problem with saying "Arizona is the hottest state" is that all of Arizona is not desert. Arizona is not as hot as Texas on the whole because the mountain temperatures in Arizona bring it down.

Granted, while over 4/5ths of the state's population lives in the Phoenix and Tucson metros, the people up in Pinetop-Lakeside and Show Low and Flag are sitting at 80ish degrees. About the only place in Texas that has that effect at all is the Alpine/ Marfa/Ft Davis.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:43 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Heat index of 90 before 8 am in Houston. Lovely
But Austin has caught up to Houston in air temperature now near noon in Texas. It will likely pass Houston in an hour or so but the humidity will dip. The heat index in Houston could remain higher by a degree or two. Dallas heat is not as bad so far today because it's mostly cloudy but that is expected to change and when it does, it will also likely pass Houston today.

I see later on in the week, Houston gets closer to its average of temperatures hovering around the low 90s while Austin and Dallas will still continue the upper 90s. Will be interesting to see the heat index late next week.

Old 07-01-2023, 11:55 AM

638 posts, read 349,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The problem with saying "Arizona is the hottest state" is that all of Arizona is not desert. Arizona is not as hot as Texas on the whole because the mountain temperatures in Arizona bring it down.

Granted, while over 4/5ths of the state's population lives in the Phoenix and Tucson metros, the people up in Pinetop-Lakeside and Show Low and Flag are sitting at 80ish degrees. About the only place in Texas that has that effect at all is the Alpine/ Marfa/Ft Davis.
Yea I pointed this out before. When you take into consideration the entire state there in no way Arizona should be leading this poll.

Parts of northern Arizona are more comparable and pretty much undistinguished from Utah and Colorado in terms of climate and can be quite snowy. With large parts receiving in excess of 100-200 inches a season. You won’t find that in Texas or Florida.

Yes southern AZ gets “hot” in the summer but Florida is consistently hotter with a high heat index throughout the entire state (both summer and winter). Phoenix is where the population lives, but it’s not representative of the entire state’s climate.

Below is a higher resolution NOAA seasonal snowfall map from September through March. It’s pretty representative of most seasons. You can clearly see how much snowier northern AZ is compared to Texas and Florida..

Last edited by Thealpinist; 07-01-2023 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-01-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But Austin has caught up to Houston in air temperature now near noon in Texas. It will likely pass Houston in an hour or so but the humidity will dip. The heat index in Houston could remain higher by a degree or two. Dallas heat is not as bad so far today because it's mostly cloudy but that is expected to change and when it does, it will also likely pass Houston today.

I see later on in the week, Houston gets closer to its average of temperatures hovering around the low 90s while Austin and Dallas will still continue the upper 90s. Will be interesting to see the heat index late next week.
Houston still leads austin 108-104. Like a basketball score

Old 07-01-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Yea I pointed this out before. When you take into consideration the entire state there in no way Arizona should be leading this poll.

Parts of northern Arizona are more comparable and pretty much undistinguished from Utah and Colorado in terms of climate and can be quite snowy. With large parts receiving in excess of 100-200 inches a season. You won’t find that in Texas or Florida.

Yes southern AZ gets “hot” in the summer but Florida is consistently hotter with a high heat index throughout the entire state (both summer and winter). Phoenix is where the population lives, but it’s not representative of the entire state’s climate.

Below is a higher resolution NOAA seasonal snowfall map from September through March. It’s pretty representative of most seasons. You can clearly see how much snowier northern AZ is compared to Texas and Florida..
Yep. Florida should’ve won this poll

Old 07-01-2023, 06:18 PM

25 posts, read 25,407 times
Not sure if it's already been said but I think Hawaii probably would be the "hottest" state if we were going off of statewide annual high/low averages. Never gets truly hot, but also never gets cold (unless you're on top of Mauna Kea lol). Adding to the comments above, I've lived in both Houston and Phoenix and for me I could take the dry heat but the humidity in Houston was pretty unbearable, no shade to escape in

Old 07-10-2023, 05:26 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Default Phoenix likely to break 110 degree heat streak this year

Phoenix's current excessive heat warning may become its longest heat wave on record, according to the National Weather Service.

https://www.axios.com/local/phoenix/...at-wave-record
Quote:
Phoenix will break the record 18-day streak of 110-plus-degree days if the heat wave continues through July 18...
425 people suffered heat-associated deaths in metro Phoenix last summer. Unhoused, elderly and chronically ill people are more likely to die or be hospitalized because of heat
425 heat related deaths for Phoenix is almost double the heat related deaths for the entire state of Texas

From the same link:
Quote:
A recent study predicted half of Phoenix residents would need emergency medical attention if a multiday blackout were to coincide with a heat wave.

So how hot is too hot for the human body?
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...metabolic-rate
Quote:
The human body may lose the ability to rid of excessive heat and stop functioning optimally when outside temperatures reach beyond 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit), according to new research from the University of Roehampton in England.
105 and higher temps are an annual thing in Phoenix.
It takes the cake for consistent extreme heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.