Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 72 23.00%
Louisiana 11 3.51%
Alabama 3 0.96%
Mississsippi 3 0.96%
Georgia 2 0.64%
Florida 67 21.41%
South Carolina 3 0.96%
Arizona 146 46.65%
New Mexico 3 0.96%
Arkansas 3 0.96%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 05:07 AM

12,916 posts, read 9,651,466 times

Advertisements

Phoenix lows this week are 88. No thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 11:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,224,363 times
The hottest locations are those of extreme desert conditions (eastern California, Nevada, etc.), oddly left off the list.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:10 PM

650 posts, read 355,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The hottest locations are those of extreme desert conditions (eastern California, Nevada, etc.), oddly left off the list.
That’s because we are discussing the “hottest” state. Not hottest locations.

Neither Nevada or California fit the bill considering the fact that both states have large areas that have snowy winters and go below zero on a consistent basis. Both of those states have recorded temps -40 degrees at some point.

Every state listed by the OP are much warmer on a consistent basis.

Old 08-18-2023, 05:46 PM

Tough summer for the south.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 6,026 times
Facts do not matter on this site. It's an echo chamber of inexperienced non-travelers. The fact that people have voted the way they have is a reflection on the synchronized one-mindedness that has taken over society. None of this is to be taken serious. This site has become a troll site with no legitimate information to help people.

Old 09-07-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstoner View Post
Facts do not matter on this site. It's an echo chamber of inexperienced non-travelers. The fact that people have voted the way they have is a reflection on the synchronized one-mindedness that has taken over society. None of this is to be taken serious. This site has become a troll site with no legitimate information to help people.
Not sure what you're referring to, but if it's Texas, it has been a helluva summer for them.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:07 AM

18 posts, read 6,026 times
I live in Houston. Yes, this summer has been a long hot summer for the city. As I am from AZ originally and spent time in the heat in both states I voted Texas/Southeast USA as the hottest state/region year round. Simply because of the humidity. People erroneously think the entire state of AZ is a desert and that is simply not true. Northern AZ has some of the best weather in the country year round on par with the weather in parts of California. I find dealing with the heat in southern AZ easier to deal with than Gulf coast heat because of the lack of humid air. The difference is the shade factor. You can step in the shade and be cool during the summer in AZ or head to higher elevations in the mountains. You can't cool off in the shade in humidity. You have to be inside in A/C. That's a pretty big difference in how both places operate. I see people in the parks in the summer in AZ. You can come back outside and its much cooler at night in AZ. The humidity doesn't allow the same effect here in Houston. However, people still manage in both places but the hotter weather is in Texas. Unequivocally.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:31 AM

1,074 posts, read 593,840 times
Quote:
I live in Houston. Yes, this summer has been a long hot summer for the city. As I am from AZ originally and spent time in the heat in both states I voted Texas/Southeast USA as the hottest state/region year round. Simply because of the humidity. People erroneously think the entire state of AZ is a desert and that is simply not true. Northern AZ has some of the best weather in the country year round on par with the weather in parts of California. I find dealing with the heat in southern AZ easier to deal with than Gulf coast heat because of the lack of humid air. The difference is the shade factor. You can step in the shade and be cool during the summer in AZ or head to higher elevations in the mountains. You can't cool off in the shade in humidity. You have to be inside in A/C. That's a pretty big difference in how both places operate. I see people in the parks in the summer in AZ. You can come back outside and its much cooler at night in AZ. The humidity doesn't allow the same effect here in Houston. However, people still manage in both places but the hotter weather is in Texas. Unequivocally.
I agree with you. I’m currently in Houston and my brother is in Phoenix.

Humidity is not my friend. That’s why I can’t live on the East Coast (I remember the humidity living in NYC, visiting my brother back when he attended in school in Virginia, traveling to D.C in August, and the whole year in FL-it was not comfortable at all.) and moving back to L.A. My skin starts to get itchy the moment you turn the a/c off. I like Houston a lot (and we are keeping the house here.) but the weather, while pretty nice in winter, is hot and humid. After this hellish summer we are out of here.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
If I were to recast my vote I'd vote Florida.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:15 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,846,226 times
People who say humidity is always worse typically have never actually LIVED, as in long-term, somewhere with humidity percentages of 10% or less like Arizona, Nevada. Not even the California coast gets that dry, or even parts of Colorado. They've simply visited and didn't deal with it for months on end. Which is why I don't listen to snowbirds on this issue either.

Many Sunbelters also refuse to go outside or do anything mildly physical during the days. I don't listen to them either.

Humidity + heat versus no humidity + heat is safer for you. I have worked manual jobs in both environments with no a/c, and only almost died in one of them, I'll let you guess which one it was. The real ideal environment is somewhere in the middle of these humidity levels, with 30-60% humidity levels, and of course no where near triple digits or in them.

This is however, about which state is the most consistently hot, year round. Of which the answer is Florida. Now, if we were to create new states, or redraw the boundaries of others, this would certainly change, but that's not the question or the answer. Yes Death Valley is hotter, but Death Valley isn't a state, is it. Neither is the Sonoran desert, or the Mojave or the Keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.