Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:37 PM

553 posts, read 617,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, maybe. You're either going to have to buzz on those high temperatures or the low temperatures. The range you're looking for is pretty much only found in California. Virginia will give you more comfortable lows, but you're gonna have to deal with some real heat.

I think people on this site tend to undersell Colorado's winters
The thing about summers around Virginia Beach is that you'll get stretches of days in the upper-80's to low-90's (with humidity) where it doesn't dip below the mid 70's at night. That last bit took some time for me to get used to, and I grew up in Richmond (where the typical spread between high/low temps in a 24-hour period is closer to 20 degrees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM

93 posts, read 95,347 times
Austin, TX

Old 09-21-2016, 07:16 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Don't know all the towns in this area but Baltimore County -- the unincorporated areas and towns outside the city itself -- might fit. From what I do know, there is a wide range of housing prices here, moderate weather, the urban delights of Baltimore and DC available when you want them, and a strong regional job market. Maybe someone else knows the area better than I do and can recommend specific towns.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 PM

320 posts, read 541,190 times
Nashville fits most of your needs. Also, Chattanooga.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Tucson except no job market. But it has everything else.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:46 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Don't know all the towns in this area but Baltimore County -- the unincorporated areas and towns outside the city itself -- might fit. From what I do know, there is a wide range of housing prices here, moderate weather, the urban delights of Baltimore and DC available when you want them, and a strong regional job market. Maybe someone else knows the area better than I do and can recommend specific towns.
There are a lot of 3-bedroom properties in the Baltimore County for less than $200k. Usually, these are smaller houses (1000 to 1500 square feet) or townhouses that were built from the 1920s to 1950s.

The public schools in those areas are often not that good, so parents send their kids to private schools if they can afford it.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:53 AM

15 posts, read 26,915 times
Thanks for the ideas guys, for everyone giving suggestions, can you explain which criteria your suggestion matches an which ones it is compromising on? That would be really helpful.

Also, for the record, we would definitely rather deal with a colder winter than a hot summer. We both hate the heat more than the cold. If it's hot there's not really anything you can do about it, if its cold you can bundle up and drink tea. I know I can deal with temps around freezing just fine all winter long, whereas once it starts getting into the 80's I will feel uncomfortable, if it gets in the 90's I will feel like I'm wilting and definitely complain and hate every minute of it. So I would much rather deal with a colder winter and some snow than a 3-4 month (or longer) summer with temps regularly in the 90s.

I know I'm going to have to live with summer heat wherever we are, but I would *really* like to minimize it as much as possible. That's why I haven't really looked at inland CA or Texas, places like that. Again though, I know I may have to give in and do so, I just hate the heat.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_A_Gal View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys, for everyone giving suggestions, can you explain which criteria your suggestion matches an which ones it is compromising on? That would be really helpful.

Also, for the record, we would definitely rather deal with a colder winter than a hot summer. We both hate the heat more than the cold. If it's hot there's not really anything you can do about it, if its cold you can bundle up and drink tea. I know I can deal with temps around freezing just fine all winter long, whereas once it starts getting into the 80's I will feel uncomfortable, if it gets in the 90's I will feel like I'm wilting and definitely complain and hate every minute of it. So I would much rather deal with a colder winter and some snow than a 3-4 month (or longer) summer with temps regularly in the 90s.

I know I'm going to have to live with summer heat wherever we are, but I would *really* like to minimize it as much as possible. That's why I haven't really looked at inland CA or Texas, places like that. Again though, I know I may have to give in and do so, I just hate the heat.
It gets well above 90 degrees even in central Canada. So yeah, there aren't going to be too many places in the eastern U.S. that meet your criteria. That gets you back to the Rockies once again.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sounds to me like somewhere in Colorado might fit the bill.

Maybe Colorado Springs?
Yep. Maybe the Springs, Denver, SLC, Boise.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:20 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Columbus OH may very well fit the bill or some other Ohio cities. Strong economy, low COL, fairly close to parts of Appalachians and Great Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.