Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:05 PM

5 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am in need of assistance. My Husband and I are wanting a fresh start. We currently live in Oklahoma and we don't like it at all. We can't stand the natural disasters much longer(tornadoes). We've been talking about relocation for months and just recently found out that we are pregnant with our 3rd child (we have 9 and 6 year old daughters). We just can't make up our minds on where to go. We are both from the south( Tennessee) so we are not fans of harsh winters. However, being southern we hate the humid summers. We want to move to a place where the humidity is low yearly and the winters are not brutal. We also want somewhere that doesn't have a high cost of living. Our yearly income is around 70,000. We could really use suggestions from anyone who has information about these things.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 09:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I think you'd receive better responses by providing more information about what you're looking for in a place to live. Do you want a large city or small? Suburb or central city? What line of work are you and your spouse in?

Old 10-08-2016, 09:35 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Las Vegas.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Are tornadoes the only reason y'all don't like Oklahoma at all? We may be able to help more with some more information, as it currently only seems to be based on weather.

Can you describe, based on where you have been and lived, what you consider "too humid" and acceptable? Same with what you mean by winter, maybe like you prefer or require less than x days of snow a year or something.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you'd receive better responses by providing more information about what you're looking for in a place to live. Do you want a large city or small? Suburb or central city? What line of work are you and your spouse in?
We would like to be in the suburbs. We prefer a place with a couple hundred thousand people or less. I work for the government and my husband is a truck driver. We would like a place with good air quality as well.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Are tornadoes the only reason y'all don't like Oklahoma at all? We may be able to help more with some more information, as it currently only seems to be based on weather.

Can you describe, based on where you have been and lived, what you consider "too humid" and acceptable? Same with what you mean by winter, maybe like you prefer or require less than x days of snow a year or something.
I've been told that it's more dry less humid the further west you go. I don't know what a dry heat feels like but I have been to GA, TX and FL during the summer times and I suffered greatly from the high humidity. I've also been to Great Lakes, IL and the winters are below zero. We don't mind snow but I would prefer it not to get below 30 degrees for a yearly average wherever we move to. We would like a place that gets all four seasons.

Last edited by Tmccalleum1; 10-09-2016 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-09-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Las Vegas.
A co-worker of mine from Vegas told me that it's expensive there.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:53 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
There appears to be a military affiliation. So, perhaps Tucson or Sierra Vista in AZ, maybe Albuquerque, Clovis or Las Cruces in NM and maybe Colorado Springs or the portion of UT from Ogden down to SLC for areas that gets colder, but are dry.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmccalleum1 View Post
We would like to be in the suburbs. We prefer a place with a couple hundred thousand people or less. I work for the government and my husband is a truck driver. We would like a place with good air quality as well.
I think somewhere on the outskirts of Denver or CO Springs may work for you guys.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmccalleum1 View Post
A co-worker of mine from Vegas told me that it's expensive there.
If they can transfer jobs and have a $70,000 annual income, they will do well in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas is cheaper then any western major metropolitan area.

Las Vegas is one of the most inexpensive cities in the country, but there are alot of very rough areas of Las Vegas and the school system has massive classroom sizes.

Nevada is a libertarian state though and low taxes are priority number one, so the schools in general have huge teacher shortages from lower wages and also huge classroom sizes.

I would recommend an older area of Henderson. It seems like 3 bedrooms go for around $1200/mo.

In general, I would recommend Henderson or West Las Vegas close to Summerlin. Usually, the more west the better.

Las Vegas has a hot summer but it is only really hot June-August. The winter is nicer then most areas and it is very dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.