Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Boston 17 80.95%
Hudson county 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 856 times

Advertisements

Hudson county and Boston are very similar to each other in population, density, and area. They both have good extensive transport that makes it possible for someone to live in the city or county without a car. They're both located on the ocean and both have decent skylines. Also for this comparison please keep it to Boston proper vs Hudson county and not Boston metro vs New York city.

Here are some stats:
Boston:
Area- 48.42 sq mi
Population- 667,137
Density- 13,841/sq mi

Hudson county:
Area- 46.19 sq mi
Population- 674,836
Density- 14,610/sq mi

Criteria:
Nightlife-
Public transport-
Food-
Diversity-
Education-
Location-
Which is more vibrant and energetic-
Which do you prefer and why?
Your more than welcome to add any criteria if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Soooo....Jersey City vs Boston? Or Hudson County vs Suffolk County? Maybe I'm being pedantic, but comparing a County to a city just seems weird to me.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:50 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Soooo....Jersey City vs Boston? Or Hudson County vs Suffolk County? Maybe I'm being pedantic, but comparing a County to a city just seems weird to me.
I think it's a great comparison. They're both roughly the same size and density. I look forward to reading people's responses.

(Although I think the mods should move this thread to city vs city)

Old 11-22-2016, 06:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
It's actually a pretty silly comparison. You simply can't discount the impact that NYC has on Hudson County. It would be like comparing, say, Aurora Colorado to Tampa because they're similar in size. One is the center of it's metro, the other benefits from proximity to the biggest city in the region.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:51 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,224,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's actually a pretty silly comparison. You simply can't discount the impact that NYC has on Hudson County. It would be like comparing, say, Aurora Colorado to Tampa because they're similar in size. One is the center of it's metro, the other benefits from proximity to the biggest city in the region.
Yeah, Hudson county is really just NYC suburbs/exurbs

Old 11-22-2016, 07:20 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Yeah, Hudson county is really just NYC suburbs/exurbs
I'd argue this is a VERY recent development. Most of Hudson county consisted of true satellite cities that existed parallel to NYC with some spillover, but they weren't true suburbs...not in the sense that Northern Virginia was a DC suburb. It's not where you moved when you had kids and needed more room and/or better schools, or when you just couldn't afford the city anymore. Their status as NYC "suburbs" is really a 21st century phenomenon.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:39 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
Quote:
I'd argue this is a VERY recent development. Most of Hudson county consisted of true satellite cities that existed parallel to NYC with some spillover, but they weren't true suburbs...not in the sense that Northern Virginia was a DC suburb. It's not where you moved when you had kids and needed more room and/or better schools, or when you just couldn't afford the city anymore. Their status as NYC "suburbs" is really a 21st century phenomenon.
I thought the gentrification of Hudson County was basically limited to just Hoboken and the downtown portions of Jersey City? Plus of course the rich areas right along the water which were always nice. The rest of the county is still mostly a mixture of working-class white ethnic areas and Latino neighborhoods, minus the black and Asian parts of Jersey City.

Come to think of it, in a weird way Jersey City has always reminded me of Oakland California. Totally different in terms of built form and safety (Jersey City has really low crime rates these days) but they're both medium-sized cities directly across the water from more famous cities. They both have a strong industrial past. They're both hyper diverse, with roughly equal numbers of blacks, whites, Latinos, and Asians. And both are experiencing gentrification in their core neighborhoods.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:42 AM

6,817 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Quote:
It's also just like comparing Denver or San Francisco to Hudson County, NJ. I mean I'm sure that Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawken are lovely places, but I just feel that there's a bit of a disconnect between the offerings of those cities and Boston.

I'd love to hear someone argue against me; for all I know Jersey City is the most happening place in the NYC area. It's been a few years since I was last down there.

Here are pictures of the two places:

Boston:

Reflection of the Sunset by Steve Tocci, on Flickr

Hudson County:

View of Jersey City from Battery Park by William A. Garcia, on Flickr

Old 11-24-2016, 04:37 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times
Quote:
I disagree. I think if we were trying to compare Nassau or Westchester counties, you might be right. I feel like if NYC disappeared off the face of the earth, Hudson County would thrive.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:58 PM

74 posts, read 61,087 times
Sometimes I wonder how some people got all their reputation points, and then I remind myself that Trump was also elected President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.