Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:15 PM

163 posts, read 130,129 times

Advertisements

I live in Iowa and our lakes and rivers stink, literally. The run off from farming has ruined them. I wouldn't advise swimming or eating fish you catch in them. What are some states that still have clean rivers and lakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Minnesota, kinda mostly. But Southern and Southwestern MN has the same problem as Iowa.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:53 PM

292 posts, read 323,983 times
The Great Lakes for the most part are pretty damn clean. Sometimes there are some issues near Chicago, but for being freshwater and housing to major cities (Chicago and Milwaukee) I am always surprised as to how clean Lake Michigan is.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
I live in Iowa and our lakes and rivers stink, literally. The run off from farming has ruined them. I wouldn't advise swimming or eating fish you catch in them. What are some states that still have clean rivers and lakes?
I know what you mean, I used to think that Rural = clean but now I realize that is not always the case when there is a lot of chemical fertilization. Suburban is not a bargain either with all the lawn chemicals and of course cities can have a lot of polluted runoff.

The best waters seem to be in the lightly populated rural areas that are not being heavily farmed, for example the forest lands of the Upper Midwest, Northeast and the Appalachian South.

Here is a national MAP of nitrates in the water which you might useful. Nitrates occur naturally but much of what you see on the map is the risk of too much nitrates coming from agricultural and chemical fertilizers. Red and orange areas are bad for nitrates (too much) while green is best (very few). Compare Iowa, which has a pretty bad risk for nitrates, to Maine, New Hampshire and West Virginia. Most of Montana, Wyoming and Oregon look pretty good too.

National look at nitrate contamination of Ground Water (US Geological Survey)

Btw, the above does not mean that every stream/river in Iowa is heavy with nitrates and every stream/river in Maine and West Virginia (West Virginia streams might have other problems like runoff from old coal mines) is perfect, it is just a overall guide.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Pennsylvania.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:10 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Michigan's lakes are pretty nice. Ohio's are hit-and-miss.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:15 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Pennsylvania.
Our PA water is highly polluted from mine runoff, industrial waste, and fracking.

The Great Lakes aren't that clean either. They are basically the dumping ground for the cities surrounding them and river runoffs. It's why Lake Erie has issues with algae blooms.

"The best waters seem to be in the lightly populated rural areas that are not being heavily farmed" or have been mined in the past or did not experience Industrial production. That is where you will find the highest quality of water.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:12 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Alaska

Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Our PA water is highly polluted from mine runoff, industrial waste, and fracking.

The Great Lakes aren't that clean either. They are basically the dumping ground for the cities surrounding them and river runoffs. It's why Lake Erie has issues with algae blooms.

"The best waters seem to be in the lightly populated rural areas that are not being heavily farmed" or have been mined in the past or did not experience Industrial production. That is where you will find the highest quality of water.
There's still a fair amount of land, and water, between the mines and industrial pollution. Way out there, there are still springs, streams, and ponds which are very clean. There are plenty of them, but you have to know where they are. Look for the source. By the time surface water gets to a major river or large lake, something will have happened to it.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Alaska

think they meant one of the real states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.