Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
Impart facts rather than just going by feelings, please.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

This website analyzes statistics of different crimes in different cities in the US, and ranks them from 0-100 based on a percentage of safety, with 100 being the safest. So for example, a 54 would mean that city is safer than 54% of all other cities in the US.
This website is good because it looks at the boroughs individually, where other websites usually use NYC as a whole.

Bronx is given a 21, meaning that it's safer than 21% of the US
And Houston is given a 4, meaning it's only safer than 4% of cities in the US
More details are provided in the links.

For the other NYC boroughs:
Queens = 49
Brooklyn = 37
Manhattan = 25
Staten Island = 52

With NYC overall averaging ~37 (by taking the average of all 5 boroughs)

My thoughts: I'm from Queens and I expected it to be lower, lol. I expected Brooklyn to be a little higher (closer to Queens) and Manhattan to be much higher (at least higher than Brooklyn)
I'm not surprised that they found the Bronx to be the most dangerous borough, but I am surprised that they actually did find it to be that much safer than Houston.

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2016 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 02:23 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZeBar View Post
Impart facts rather than just going by feelings, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm not surprised that they found the Bronx to be the most dangerous borough, but I am surprised that they actually did find it to be that much safer than Houston.
Not that surprising if you visit City and Metro murders thread. Houston is a bit smaller than Brooklyn in population, yet it clocks in almost the same numbers of murders as the whole NYC:

Houston - 299 murders in 2015
The Bronx - 91 murders in 2015

Source: city-data

Old 12-05-2016, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not that surprising if you visit City and Metro murders thread. Houston is a bit smaller than Brooklyn in population, yet it clocks in almost the same numbers of murders as the whole NYC:

Hmm. I had no idea about Houston.

On the other hand, that says good things about us in NYC though

Old 12-06-2016, 03:42 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Houston isn't extremely dangerous it is more along the lines of NYC being extremely safe (American Standards) The Bronx has very few areas that are as violent as Houston's most violent areas.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:10 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

lol you can't compare crime in Houston to crime in the Bronx; Houston is an actual city, MUCH larger.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
lol you can't compare crime in Houston to crime in the Bronx; Houston is an actual city, MUCH larger.
Yes you can, The Bronx has enough people in it to be a major city. As long as you adjust for population differences, I see nothing wrong with such a comparison.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Houston isn't extremely dangerous it is more along the lines of NYC being extremely safe (American Standards) The Bronx has very few areas that are as violent as Houston's most violent areas.
I could be wrong, but I feel like NYC doesn't get much credit/recognition at all for how safe it is. I feel like a lot of people probably think it's a lot more dangerous than it really is. Maybe it comes from how it was back in the 70s and 80s

Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I could be wrong, but I feel like NYC doesn't get much credit/recognition at all for how safe it is. I feel like a lot of people probably think it's a lot more dangerous than it really is. Maybe it comes from how it was back in the 70s and 80s
Yes, a lot of people's perceptions of NYC are stuck in the 80s.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:06 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Come on now, Houston would have to be at 4.3 million population in city limits to match that Bronx murder rate, its nowhere near that.

For reference, the Bronx is about 100k smaller than Philadelphia. You severely underestimate the size of individual NYC boroughs.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:21 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Then in that case, I will use El Paso as Staten Island.

Oklahoma is basically the NJ of TX imo
Since I've never been to Oklahoma, what does that mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.