Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, isn't London's average murder rate around 1.2/100k or so? Maybe a little higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 PM

412 posts, read 509,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
That is not in line at all, London, Paris average less than 200 murders per year in the metropolitan area. Which makes them a lot safer than NYC. The most dangerous cities in Western Europe is Amsterdam, Glasgow and Brussels. These cities metro though are all safer than NYC.
How about Malmo, Sweden? I believe they have around 7 per 100 000. But ok, New York is on the same level as Amsterdam and Glasgow then. So maybe not the safest in the world, but still safe.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Not sure what's going on in Houston, but it seems crime steadily rising. Now they found 4 victims in a burnt car today and 1 in the trunk. This is like Cartel work here?

Four bodies found in burned car in Channelview | khou.com

Old 12-10-2016, 02:12 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Size plays a huge part because you're comparing crime in one concentrated area to one that consists of 600+ sq miles. Especially when you include that one is car oriented, while the other leans towards public transportation, you really don't see what I'm trying to get at?

A good friend of mine from the Bronx, Maylin Reynoso went missing and was found dead a few weeks later, this happened a few months ago; you can google her name and read up all about the coverage between her situation and that of Karina Vetrano.

The most dangerous part of Houston I've ever visited was probably Fifth Ward, and that was a just a simple cruise through. It's easier to ignore crime in Houston than it is in the Bronx; It's all fun and games till you have to walk pass a couple of females arguing on your block, smh nothing like a Bronx girl who rides the 4line.

I also do remember when the DEA seized 52 kilos of coke stuffed in fake yuccas in the Bronx.
Well, the population densities are different for sure but I don't see why you can't compare the crime between the two.

As for Maylin Reynoso, her death receiving less coverage than Karina Vetrano is not a problem specific to NYC. And while I can't help but think her death would have received more coverage if she were white, her death was not immediately ruled to be a homicide like Karina Vetrano's was. Either way, may she rest in peace.

I've hung out in The Bronx plenty of times and haven't found it to be unpleasant. Save for one or two minor things, which could have happened in a hood part of Houston as well.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Not sure what's going on in Houston, but it seems crime steadily rising. Now they found 4 victims in a burnt car today and 1 in the trunk. This is like Cartel work here?

Four bodies found in burned car in Channelview | khou.com
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to attribute that to Houston, it would be like talking about crime in NYC and bringing up something that happened in Hempstead.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:26 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well, the population densities are different for sure but I don't see why you can't compare the crime between the two.

As for Maylin Reynoso, her death receiving less coverage than Karina Vetrano is not a problem specific to NYC. And while I can't help but think her death would have received more coverage if she were white, her death was not immediately ruled to be a homicide like Karina Vetrano's was. Either way, may she rest in peace.

I've hung out in The Bronx plenty of times and haven't found it to be unpleasant. Save for one or two minor things, which could have happened in a hood part of Houston as well.

You can compare all you want just remember that Houston is not the only Texas city part of this comparison that has a higher crime rate than the Bronx. Dallas has similar stats and San Antonio is not far behind.

The Most Dangerous (and Safest) Cities In Texas

Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You can compare all you want just remember that Houston is not the only Texas city part of this comparison that has a higher crime rate than the Bronx. Dallas has similar stats and San Antonio is not far behind.

The Most Dangerous (and Safest) Cities In Texas

Yeah I'm aware. Although San Antonio still seems to be one of the safest major cities.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to attribute that to Houston, it would be like talking about crime in NYC and bringing up something that happened in Hempstead.
I realize my post was somewhat irrelevant to the conversion, but just wanted to get an understanding what types of crimes are actually happening in not just Houston, but the surrounding area as well. It's really sad that crimes like these happen and which it seems like it's getting worse. That's all.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I realize my post was somewhat irrelevant to the conversion, but just wanted to get an understanding what types of crimes are actually happening in not just Houston, but the surrounding area as well. It's really sad that crimes like these happen and which it seems like it's getting worse. That's all.
well gee gosh jon it seems crime is getting worse all over, because it is.

Violent crime rising in US cities, study finds

(CNN)Violent crime is on the rise so far this year in major cities across the US compared to the number of homicides, rapes, robberies, assaults and shootings that occurred in the same cities by this point in 2015, a new report has found.

The midyear violent crime survey released Monday by the Major Cities Chiefs Association shows 307 more homicides so far in 2016, according to data from 51 law enforcement agencies from some of the largest US cities.

Violent crime rising in US cities, study finds - CNNPolitics.com

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Three homicides in the past 10 days. According to data from the Austin Police Department, the city’s murder rate is up nearly 80 percent from the same time last year.

The Austin Police Association President Ken Casaday believes this upward trend is something the department needs to tackle immediately.

Austin’s murder rate up nearly 80 percent compared to 2015 | KXAN.com

Instead of using this unfortunate circumstance to take swipes at Houston you should be doing what you can to understand what's going on and be part of the solution for your own community. Very disappointing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.