Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 12:13 AM

189 posts, read 166,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Isn't the Bronx the most dangerous part of NYC? The fact that the most dangerous part of NYC still doesn't even have close to the murder rate of Houston speaks volumes.
But then the problem of city-limit size still causes it to be an X/Y comparison; it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 07:24 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,224,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Agreed. NYC is probably one of the safest major Western cities in the world.
No, it's actually not. For an American city yes but it still has an unacceptably high murder and violent crime rate for a western city. Look at places like Toronto for a truly safe large city. American cities are still embarrassingly more violent than most other "western" countries' cities.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Isn't the Bronx the most dangerous part of NYC? The fact that the most dangerous part of NYC still doesn't even have close to the murder rate of Houston speaks volumes.

There are dozens of American cities that have much higher murder rates than Houston I am still waiting for the OP to explain why he picked Texas instead of Missouri, Tennessee or California for his comparison. Yes NYC Has done a great job of lowering its murder rate I'm assuming a lot of the crime that was prevalent in NYC not long ago, has been gentrified out of the city, and into surrounding areas most notably New Jersey or maybe they split for Buffalo or even down south.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
The Bronx population is about 1.5 million. The Houston population is about double that. (I'm taking city limits, not metro areas.)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta.../36005,4835000
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...045215/4835000

Both areas are well above the national average when it comes to crime rates against both people and property.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,423,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How does Houston having more land size make it not comparable?
Size plays a huge part because you're comparing crime in one concentrated area to one that consists of 600+ sq miles. Especially when you include that one is car oriented, while the other leans towards public transportation, you really don't see what I'm trying to get at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And I've heard about the teen girls. However most, if not all, of them have returned home. The councilman who made the claim that 14 girls were missing retracted his statement when it was confirmed that 11 of the 14 girls were not actually missing.
A good friend of mine from the Bronx, Maylin Reynoso went missing and was found dead a few weeks later, this happened a few months ago; you can google her name and read up all about the coverage between her situation and that of Karina Vetrano.

Quote:
The most dangerous part of Houston I've ever visited was probably Fifth Ward, and that was a just a simple cruise through. It's easier to ignore crime in Houston than it is in the Bronx; It's all fun and games till you have to walk pass a couple of females arguing on your block, smh nothing like a Bronx girl who rides the 4line.

I also do remember when the DEA seized 52 kilos of coke stuffed in fake yuccas in the Bronx.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The Bronx population is about 1.5 million. The Houston population is about double that. (I'm taking city limits, not metro areas.)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta.../36005,4835000
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...045215/4835000

Both areas are well above the national average when it comes to crime rates against both people and property.
So you are agreeing with the OP's comparisons ?

Old 12-09-2016, 12:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
So you are agreeing with the OP's comparisons ?
No.

I mean if you want to have some totally unrealistic fun and do some totally unnecessary mental gymnastics, I guess you could sit around and people an imaginary land where the four (not five) boroughs of NYC coincide somehow with the four biggest, sprawling metro areas of Texas. Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather take an underwater basket weaving course myself but hey, to each his own!

Old 12-09-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No.

I mean if you want to have some totally unrealistic fun and do some totally unnecessary mental gymnastics, I guess you could sit around and people an imaginary land where the four (not five) boroughs of NYC coincide somehow with the four biggest, sprawling metro areas of Texas. Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather take an underwater basket weaving course myself but hey, to each his own!

Thanks for the clarification.

It turns out the OP is a Fort Worth homer via South Florida. Why he has a New Jersey zip code on his profile is anybody's guess, but very misleading. So now I understand the OP's motive's. If I would have known this before I may have approached this thread from a different point of view..

Old 12-09-2016, 02:56 PM

412 posts, read 510,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No, it's actually not. For an American city yes but it still has an unacceptably high murder and violent crime rate for a western city. Look at places like Toronto for a truly safe large city. American cities are still embarrassingly more violent than most other "western" countries' cities.
I have never been to Toronto, so you might be right. But NYC's murder rate is about 4 per 100 000, which is pretty much in line with most European capitals. But I think violent crime in general is lower in NYC compared to European capitals. You just feel safer in New York because of all the police that are out patrolling.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,082,090 times
That is not in line at all, London, Paris average less than 200 murders per year in the metropolitan area. Which makes them a lot safer than NYC. The most dangerous cities in Western Europe is Amsterdam, Glasgow and Brussels. These cities metro though are all safer than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.