Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:05 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times

Advertisements

The area around Bob Hope Airport in Burbank is nice, in fact most of the city (especially downtown) is really nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've been to that airport a few times and don't recall seeing a "war zone", and when looking at the aerials around there I also can't see what you're describing....unless you're referring to the mobile home parks.

The airport I'm most familiar with is MSP (Minneapolis-St. Paul), which is surrounded by neighborhoods and the confluence of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers. The n'hoods that surround MSP are mostly pretty nice, working-class hoods. There is one small section of apartments that's a little sketchier than the rest of the area, but it's mostly pleasant. The suburb of Richfield also borders the western edge of the airport. Those n'hoods are also working class and mostly well-kept, but I guess it'd be fair to say that this section of Richfield is probably seedier than the other areas of the city.

All in all, there isn't a strong correlation between crime/blight and proximity to the airport. However, you also aren't likely to see many million-dollar mansions lining up next to the airport either.
No...not talking about any mobile home parks. If you're coming from the east, say from 130 to the airport entrances, on the north side of 71 for about a mile it's one dilapidated structure after another, including abandoned trashy lots. If you're coming from the city to the airport, there's nothing in particular that looks bad. It's all on the north side of 71 between 130 and the airport. It's horrible.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Well, it's basically downtown and adjacent expensive coastal properties so not a bad area at all.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
In Jax it's pretty good. The area around the airport used to be totally undeveloped and now it's become one of the hot, middle income areas. Tons of shopping and development happening. Not a wealthy area by any stretch but it's very nice, new suburbia.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 PM

992 posts, read 874,731 times
LAX is mostly nice. Inglewood (to the west) is considered sketchy by some, but it is certainly gentrifying. Both Westchester (to the north) and El Segundo (to the south) are middle class suburbs.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:01 AM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Albuquerque International Sunport is also Kirtland Air Force Base. On the east side is the camo-dudes. To the south is about 2000 stored nukes. To the west is all river bosque and city. But to the north is an Albuquerque neighborhood once known as the "War Zone" or the "Square".

The War Zone was a giant drug den in the '80s. At that time, the city put up gates and diagonal barriers in each intersection to turn it into a giant maze, to curb drug trafficking I guess. Those diverters, and the problems and projects that plagued that square, are long gone now. Just some old, flush, diagonal concrete in the intersections is all that's left. But it still, to this day, carries that reputation, and name, although now it is officially called the "International District".

Old 03-09-2017, 06:40 AM

26 posts, read 35,432 times
What about Midway in Chicago?

Old 03-09-2017, 07:12 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Mix-bag in Los Angeles LAX. To the south and north are nice weathly beach community areas of Playa/Del Rey/Playa Del Rey and middle class Westchester and El Segundo which is residential closer to beach and aerospace industrial parks more inland. But nearly everything under the landing flight plan is not good like Inglewood and South Central LA. I mean I notice when planes fly miles overhead and I live nowhere near the airport, but imagine one coming every 5-10 minutes a few hundred feet above you.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
Ohare is surrounded by middle class post-WW2 suburban housing and older city neighborhoods. I'd describe the area generally as working-class to middle-professional-class. The immediate vicinity is a cluster of tollways, ramps, cloverleafs and very poorly designed surface streets.

Midway is in a poorer part of Chicago and is basically embedded in the city street grid. It's not immediately connected to a freeway or tollway ramp like ohare (and many other airports I've been to). It's not uncommon to drive there for a very early morning flight and still see the women working the corners.

MSP as mentioned earlier is surrounded by the Minnesota river to the south/east and the Mississippi to the east. West of there is richfield - very middle class and lower middle class old suburb. Eagan is just south of MSP. It's an upper middle class post-1980s cul du sac suburb. Just to the north is southeast Minneapolis which, like Richfield, is working class affordable.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:10 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Ohare is surrounded by middle class post-WW2 suburban housing and older city neighborhoods. I'd describe the area generally as working-class to middle-professional-class. The immediate vicinity is a cluster of tollways, ramps, cloverleafs and very poorly designed surface streets.

Midway is in a poorer part of Chicago and is basically embedded in the city street grid. It's not immediately connected to a freeway or tollway ramp like ohare (and many other airports I've been to). It's not uncommon to drive there for a very early morning flight and still see the women working the corners.

MSP as mentioned earlier is surrounded by the Minnesota river to the south/east and the Mississippi to the east. West of there is richfield - very middle class and lower middle class old suburb. Eagan is just south of MSP. It's an upper middle class post-1980s cul du sac suburb. Just to the north is southeast Minneapolis which, like Richfield, is working class affordable.

I took the blue line from O'hare to downtown and I saw an incredible amount of poverty at a certain point. Was this the west side? Entire crumbling apartment complexes covered in gang graffiti from top to bottom, honestly looked way worse than The Bronx or anything I'd seen in major American cities before.

Flying into Newark (EWR) offers stunning views of NYC and the surrounding metropolis. EWR itself is by the Port of Newark, the city of Elizabeth, interstate, crumbling ghetto and industrial waste. That corridor of North Jersey is probably one of the ugliest stretches in the country and is what gives the rest of the state/North Jersey a bad name, undeservedly in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.