Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

I hate I-35 (too developed) but love I-45 (forests).

I have a love/hate relationship with I-10. I like I-20 for the most part.

My favorite interstate is I-49 through Louisiana. I know they've opened up parts in AR and MO that aren't as scenic but the part through Louisiana goes through the Kisatchie National Forest, very pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
I hate I-95. Particularly the stretch between Philadelphia and southwestern Connecticut (with the Cross Bronx being the absolute worst).

Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I hate I-95. Particularly the stretch between Philadelphia and southwestern Connecticut (with the Cross Bronx being the absolute worst).
What about the part through DC?! UGH!

I-95 southbound to Florida is great through most of Virginia and North Carolina. Then you get to South Carolina and it's like the pavement practically ends! OMG!

Georgia's stretch of I-95 is amazing -- six to eight lanes all the way through the state. Yet it still backs up due to volume. The bottleneck going north across the Savannah River into SC is just ridiculous. SC roads are horrible.

The Florida and Georgia stretches of I-95 link up well. Getting through Iacksonville used to be a royal pain but it's gotten better after years of major reconstruction.

Driving I-10 from its start in Downtown Jacksonville to the end at Santa Monica (or vice versa) is on my bucket list.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
I-26 is very attractive going northwest from where it meets I-85 near Spartanburg, SC all the way through NC to Johnson City, TN across the mountains.

I-24 is nice going west from Chattanooga, parallel to the Tennessee River and then up the Cumberland Plateau, where the westbound and eastbound lanes separate a few miles apart near the Monteagle, TN area.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
I love interstates that are not crowded and hate interstates that are.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Probably dislike I-64 and I-77 because I've driven them the most. I-90 across Indiana and Ohio isn't a bad drive, just boring. Any interstate around D.C. immediately makes me cringe.

I enjoy I-15 from Las Vegas to St. George, I-26 between 81 and 85 and I-40 between Raleigh and Wilmington NC.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM

59 posts, read 55,925 times
Does that bizarre intersection in Hartford where I-91 and I-84 meet still exist? When I lived in Hartford, I remember this was billed as the only place on the interstate freeway system where two interstates were joined by traffic signals , there was no direct ramp or interchange.

I can't stand I-35 in Texas, it's horribly congested and boring as hell with all the sprawl and strip shopping for hundreds of miles, not to mention the endless construction.

Every trip thru Arkansas on I-30 and I-40 has been bumpy and frightening -- torn-up roads and non-stop dangerous trucks barreling along, plus terrible roadside conveniences; not a clean women's restroom in the state, my wife says. I'll go thru Oklahoma again before Arkansas, and that's saying something.

I-27, Lubbock to Amarillo, has got to be the flattest and dullest stretch of highway on earth. I-57 in So. Illinois is very pretty for about an hour, from Cairo north, then becomes extremely tiresome the entire rest of the way.

I remember I-81 up the Appalachians and Shennandoah valley in VA and up into eastern PA as truly beautiful in places, if slow going due to hills and curves.

I-39 in No. Illinois always seems scarily windy and desolate, it's not a pleasant stretch of road until you hit Wisconsin and there's almost no place to get gas for hours.

I-10 across LA is usually tediously samey, when it's not ugly, and the LA highway patrol is ruthless along it. Traffic bottlenecks at Baton Rouge something awful, getting across the Mississippi.

I-10 west through Texas seems like it will never end, then it gets prettier in New Mex and AZ, but then I-8 thru AZ and So. CA. is hot and dreary and THEN you hit these big, steep mountain ranges before you get to San Diego, which was a complete surprise to us, and killed our car's engine after a long hot passage thru the deserts. I wouldn't want to make that drive again.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
I-95....from the top to the bottom.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Thank you! That is a dead giveaway that somebody is from California and it's so freaking annoying! Just call if I-whatever people!
California trends eventually overcome most of the country. In Seattle, many commercials are now calling the local freeways "The Five", or "The 405". I'm afraid this isn't going to go away, like it or not.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What about the part through DC?! UGH!

I-95 southbound to Florida is great through most of Virginia and North Carolina. Then you get to South Carolina and it's like the pavement practically ends! OMG!

Georgia's stretch of I-95 is amazing -- six to eight lanes all the way through the state. Yet it still backs up due to volume. The bottleneck going north across the Savannah River into SC is just ridiculous. SC roads are horrible.

The Florida and Georgia stretches of I-95 link up well. Getting through Iacksonville used to be a royal pain but it's gotten better after years of major reconstruction.

Driving I-10 from its start in Downtown Jacksonville to the end at Santa Monica (or vice versa) is on my bucket list.
Except for the paranoia you are stuck in because of the most aggressive state troopers in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.