Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a true "melting pot" culture?
Philadelphia 4 6.35%
Baltimore 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.59%
New Orleans 8 12.70%
Atlanta 1 1.59%
Charlotte 1 1.59%
Houston 33 52.38%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 4.76%
Charleston, South Carolina 0 0%
Savannah, Georgia 2 3.17%
Washington, DC 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:52 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times

Advertisements

On this list...Houston, then probably NYC, then New Orleans. Other than maybe LA and maybe Dallas, rest should not be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 05:47 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
On this list...Houston, then probably NYC, then New Orleans. Other than maybe LA and maybe Dallas, rest should not be considered.
Neither NYC or LA are on the list.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I voted Houston.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:56 PM

56 posts, read 79,160 times
Where I work in Houston, it's very diverse and ethnically mixed. We have a Lebanese with Columbian wife, Cuban with American wife, 2 Mexican guys with American wives, Nigerian guy with African American wife, Vietnamese with black BF, Vietnamese guy with Mexican wife, Mexican with El Salvadorian husband, Mexican with El Salvadorian wife, Taiwanese with white husband, white guy with wife from Hong Kong, black guy with Filipino GF, El Salvadorian with American wife, Dominican with Mexican GF, Virgin Island with American wife, Indian with Mexican wife and Honduran with Guatemalan wife. More than half my co workers are with someone from different race/ethnic group. We all get along very well and our Thanks Giving's pot luck is like an international buffet

Old 04-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
New York City

Los Angeles
These are not on the list.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoWow77007 View Post
Where I work in Houston, it's very diverse and ethnically mixed. We have a Lebanese with Columbian wife, Cuban with American wife, 2 Mexican guys with American wives, Nigerian guy with African American wife, Vietnamese with black BF, Vietnamese guy with Mexican wife, Mexican with El Salvadorian husband, Mexican with El Salvadorian wife, Taiwanese with white husband, white guy with wife from Hong Kong, black guy with Filipino GF, El Salvadorian with American wife, Dominican with Mexican GF, Virgin Island with American wife, Indian with Mexican wife and Honduran with Guatemalan wife. More than half my co workers are with someone from different race/ethnic group. We all get along very well and our Thanks Giving's pot luck is like an international buffet
My job is pretty much the same in DC, just in the immediate circumference of my desk:

Somalian
Bolivian
Tunisian
Pakistani
Trinidadian
Salvadorian
Nigerian
Iranian
Taiwan
2 African American locals who grew up here
A white guy transplant from North Carolina
Another black guy from North Jersey.

That's within about 18 feet of my desk.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-02-2017 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 05:09 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
Just curious best melting pot or Mosaic? Is there a difference between the two?

Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
My job is pretty much the same in DC, just in the immediate circumference of my desk:

Somalian
Bolivian
Tunisian
Pakistani
Trinidadian
Salvadorian
Nigerian
Iranian
Taiwan

Yeah that's why I said DC and Houston are the winners here. If you break this list down in tiers, I'd say

Tier 1 DC - Houston
Tier 2 Dallas - Atlanta
Tier 3 Philadelphia
Tier 4 New Orleans
Tier 5 Charlotte - Baltimore
Tier 6 Pittsburgh - Charleston - Savannah

Old 04-02-2017, 08:30 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Just because there's ethnic communities in New York doesn't mean its not a melting pot. There's a lot of New Yorkers with various ethnic mixes in their backgrounds, even if they primarily only identify with one ethnicity.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

Somalian
Bolivian
Tunisian
Pakistani
Trinidadian
Salvadorian
Nigerian
Iranian
Taiwan

While I get what your saying, the dude was talking about interracial and interethnic relationships. Many schools have huge diversity in student body but not many schools are so diverse that interethnic and interracial relationships are almost equal to the number of relationships within the same racial or ethnic group. In fact I don't think their is a public school were this is true in the whole of the U.S while their are certainly smaller charter/private/home schools were this maybe true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.