Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a true "melting pot" culture?
Philadelphia 4 6.35%
Baltimore 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.59%
New Orleans 8 12.70%
Atlanta 1 1.59%
Charlotte 1 1.59%
Houston 33 52.38%
Dallas-Fort Worth 3 4.76%
Charleston, South Carolina 0 0%
Savannah, Georgia 2 3.17%
Washington, DC 10 15.87%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:11 PM

10,220 posts, read 15,917,484 times

Advertisements

This is the flip side of the other thread. Which cities have a culture that is truly a traditional American melting pot where people from various backgrounds have moved there and all played a part in shaping a new culture that seems to prevail?

I don't have Los Angeles or New York here because both places feel more like a "tossed salad" where various groups live in the same city/region but rarely mix except (sometimes) at work. For example a Mexican from L.A . is likely to live in an exclusively Mexican neighborhood, speak only Spanish, eat only Mexican food, and is very unlikely to have non-Mexican friends or engage in non-Mexican activities, while in New Orleans where French, African Americans, and other people of all backgrounds listen to jazz music and cook/eat Creole cuisine and see all of that as part of their own culture.

I've also included some "New South" and Sunbelt cities where people have moved from all over the country, in addition to immigrant groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Huh? NYC and LA are the two metros that "melt" the most, since they have the most ethnicities.Where else will you find a Chinese Dominican or Nigerian Mexican? Just google fusion restaurants. If you find these two metros, easily the most cosmopolitan metros we have, to be "tossed salad", no other metro will meet your criteria. Certainly not Baltimore nor Pittsburgh nor New Orleans, etc.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Huh? NYC and LA are the two metros that "melt" the most, since they have the most ethnicities.Where else will you find a Chinese Dominican or Nigerian Mexican? Just google fusion restaurants. If you find these two metros, easily the most cosmopolitan metros we have, to be "tossed salad", no other metro will meet your criteria. Certainly not Baltimore nor Pittsburgh nor New Orleans, etc.
I used to live in the Baltimore area and generations of immigrants have always gone there, especially Irish, Germans, Italians, Polish, and Greeks as well as a lot of domestic migration from the Deep South, both black and white. Many people have mixed ancestries from various European countries, and most people can appreciate a good Greek spinach pie and a good Polish kielbasa though everyone is mostly American.

In LA you have a lot of Asian Americans (I am of Asian descent myself) who would hang out only with Asian friends, eat only Asian food, watch mostly Korean and Japanese dramas and anime even though Hollywood is right there. Los Angeles also has lots of Mexicans who speak little English even into the third generation and still live in exclusively Mexican neighborhoods.

In Miami the Cubans, Haitians, and Northeast transplants/snowbird all stay in their own separate worlds and often don't even live in the same parts of town.

In LA and New York most groups seem to keep their own distinct cultures and languages rather than interact with one another. I do think New Orleans is a great melting pot where a lot of different cultures have really come together to create a unique style, which is what makes New Orleans such a unique city.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:31 AM

I know Houston has a large number of both domestic and international transplants and its true that Texas minorities seem to be more assimilated with the exception of the Rio Grande Valley (hence the other thread).

Are Mexicans more mixed in with others in Houston and speak more English, live a more diverse lifestyle than Laredo, etc?

Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
What if multiple cities in the poll are a "true melting pot"? How do you approach that?

Also, there are different forms of 'melting pots', i.e. different ethnicities. Are we just judge/vote some groups over others? Voting for one over others might be a form of racism or culturalism.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't have Los Angeles or New York here because both places feel more like a "tossed salad" where various groups live in the same city/region but rarely mix except (sometimes) at work. For example a Mexican from L.A . is likely to live in an exclusively Mexican neighborhood, speak only Spanish, eat only Mexican food, and is very unlikely to have non-Mexican friends or engage in non-Mexican activities, while in New Orleans where French, African Americans, and other people of all backgrounds listen to jazz music and cook/eat Creole cuisine and see all of that as part of their own culture.
That was a pretty arbitrary decision, that happens in all metro areas. Right or wrong we silo by culture, by race, by socioeconomics, etc. around the world...

Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 AM

23,521 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I voted Houston.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In LA and New York most groups seem to keep their own distinct cultures and languages rather than interact with one another. I do think New Orleans is a great melting pot where a lot of different cultures have really come together to create a unique style, which is what makes New Orleans such a unique city.
Different New Orleans cultures have existed and blended over a 200 year timeframe, while NY and LA are constantly being replenished. Yesterday's Little Italy or Chinatown no longer exist, as newer cultures are added to the mix. My grandparents "kept" their European culture and language for over 50 years until they died, and it really wasn't until their grandchildren grew, and the greater culture accepted them and their differences, that assimilation takes place.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
New York is definitely a melting pot, it is very cosmopolitan.

Sure, immigrants (especially lower income) might not mingle much, but they live mostly in harmony and all shape the city's culture. My grandmother lives in Kensington, Brooklyn, and her neighborhood is extremely diverse, even down to her building.

And the children of various immigrant groups definitely do mingle.

I have to imagine LA is like this too.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:28 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Every city descends from people from many parts of the world. The longer ago different cultures showed up, the more likely they are to have melted in.

A lot of the prevailing cultural tendencies we see in various cities today (cities seen as pushy or reserved, or where random people talk to you; various local cuisines, accents, whatever) is all influenced by who showed up and when.

It seems like the question is more about recent immigration merging in with the prevailing culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.