Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM

33 posts, read 62,004 times

Advertisements

How many people on here follow people on instagram and wonder how they afford their lives? They are taking vacations, having houses built, have 4-5 kids and the wives stay home. Many wives are now becoming bloggers. I know their lives aren't perfect but they sure seem it. Especially while I'm over here working almost 10 hours a day, one vacation a year, and semi struggling with life.

Especially for some of these families that the husbands are in med school. How do they afford to live? Many have nice houses and 3-4 children! I don't get it! It especially seems like this is the case on the west coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 03:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
my father-in-law is the President and he's putting me in charge of the Middle East

Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Could be a self-selecting (if a tad narcissistic) population - if you were a "bottom 1%-er" you would be less likely to want to post, have the means to post, or even have time to post. Just guessing, of course. I have no factual (real or alternative) basis for this, but it seems in line w/ human nature.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:50 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
I mean most people I follow in instagram or friends or family, or some moderately famous people. Some of them were famous before Instagram and just happen to use it to broadcast their art. I follow a lot of ocean related blogs from divers who travel the world and get amazing footage of sharks, whales and dolphins.

These people don't rely on Instagram for income or even fame, they just use it to connect through the world with photography. They afford their livestyles with their offline career.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Drugs

Old 04-04-2017, 04:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkernomore View Post
How many people on here follow people on instagram and wonder how they afford their lives? They are taking vacations, having houses built, have 4-5 kids and the wives stay home. Many wives are now becoming bloggers. I know their lives aren't perfect but they sure seem it. Especially while I'm over here working almost 10 hours a day, one vacation a year, and semi struggling with life.

Especially for some of these families that the husbands are in med school. How do they afford to live? Many have nice houses and 3-4 children! I don't get it! It especially seems like this is the case on the west coast!
Its called debt.I encourage you to read "Love Your Life,Not Theirs." by Rachel Cruze.Rachel Cruze is the daughter of Dave Ramsey.Also,you should read "The Millionaire Next Door".Most people who are leading the kind of life you describe are in debt.Ever heard of "30,000 dollar a year millionaire"?

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Debt. The US is hitting it's pre-recession stride. Lots of families are house poor again.

Two thirds of Americans can't even come up with $1,000 for an emergency.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/965e4...d315f83e01b6a2

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:

It's called debt. Do your best to stay out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Debt. The US is hitting it's pre-recession stride. Lots of families are house poor again.

Two thirds of Americans can't even come up with $1,000 for an emergency.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/965e4...d315f83e01b6a2
Wow. That's ridiculous.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
How many people on here follow people on Instagram and wonder how they afford their lives? They are taking vacations, having houses built, have 4-5 kids and the wives stay home. Many wives are now becoming bloggers. I know their lives aren't perfect but they sure seem it. Especially while I'm over here working almost 10 hours a day, one vacation a year, and semi-struggling with life.

People are willing to go into debt and post everything on social media in order to make people envious of them. Perfect example, the majority of people I follow are my friends down south in Florida, they're always posting pics of restaurants, activities, vacations, etc... and most also have 1-2 kids (and are under 23). Yet when you talk to them, they're deep into debt, rent a place that they hardly can afford, have a job that pays $9-$10/H and care more about consumer consumption and living the "perfect life" rather than saving up and managing their money properly. There's no such thing as a perfect life, and yes sometimes it's people who are rich and inherited it or met the right people, but for the most part, it's people digging their grave into more debt. Focus on yourself and know that in the long-run, you'll be better off!

Old 04-06-2017, 12:52 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times
Some people do honestly budget for their vacations, or plan it so that everything is paid off usually within 8 weeks of their return. But that is probably only about 25% of folks. Most probably do go into some sort of long-term debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.