Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I live in Sacramento, and I find most people (except some of my in-laws ) are quite open to non-mainstream faiths and people of no faith.

Maybe cities with a big college/university influence might be more open minded.
Maybe in some cases, but Logan, Utah, where Utah State University is located, is a college town all the way, and even though it is not directly affiliated with the LDS church, it is smack dab LDS-cental. I would put it in the category of a highly-religious town, definitely not Open Minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:46 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
What do you mean by that? How do you define a safe geographical location? Safe from natural disasters, safe from crime, safe in some other way?

I read that statement as safe from natural disasters, in which case Seattle is pretty safe, as is Portland, Las Vegas, and I don't know what others. However, what kind of citizens people are would have absolutely no bearing on this.

If you meant crime-wise, secular folks tend to congregate in higher population areas. So do criminals, since that is where there are people to commit crimes against. That doesn't mean the two groups overlap.
Europe is extremely secular, and much safer than most of non-secular America. But yes, I did mean safe from natural disasters. Seattle is built on the worst possible soil for earthquakes and the Seattle fault lies right beneath downtown. As if that wasn't enough, you have the Cascadia subduction zone, which is due for a giant earthquake, and you have Mt. Rainer rotting from the inside out. Tsunamis, earthquakes, landslides, volcanic eruptions. Wimpy tornadoes don't hold a candle to the dangers of the PNW.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,580 times
Actually, every time I've been to Vegas I hear god references all the time.
" pleeeese god" or "god#!*" or even "OH GOD OH GOD" (my favorite)

Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Maybe in some cases, but Logan, Utah, where Utah State University is located, is a college town all the way, and even though it is not directly affiliated with the LDS church, it is smack dab LDS-cental. I would put it in the category of a highly-religious town, definitely not Open Minded.
OOps, you're absolutely right. Let me modify my previous statement to "college/university towns with no religious affiliation."

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
Most major cities have a fair amount of all faiths in them.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
San Francisco
New York
Boston
Portland
Chicago
of course... Seattle

Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Check out this link. Many of the cities mentioned, esp. Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis and New York, have at least 50% relgious adherents. Minneapolis is a very strong Lutheran/Catholic city.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif

Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Check out this link. Many of the cities mentioned, esp. Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis and New York, have at least 50% relgious adherents. Minneapolis is a very strong Lutheran/Catholic city.

This map came up before on another thread...I still don't know what the term "religious adherent" means. They really don't explain that.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:35 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Religious population ≠ Bad place for nontheists

Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
This map came up before on another thread...I still don't know what the term "religious adherent" means. They really don't explain that.
You're right. It is explained a little better in the introductory material of this project. Map Gallery of Religion in the United States Adherent using means sticking to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.