Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 AM

49 posts, read 216,200 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data Friends

Like many others here on this wonderful site, I have dreams to relocate to a community that fits many of my family’s needs and wants. And like everyone else, I have specific questions that I would love to hear your opinions about. Thank you for taking the time to consider my rambling questions.

I currently live in Anchorage (and I have for the past 8 years.) Before that, I was born and raised in northern CA for 20+ years. I’m actually very happy to be a resident of Anchorage (it’s a great, fun city in a beautiful setting), but the cost of living is too much. I’m tired of sacrificing so much of my family’s monthly income to our steep mortgage payment.

I have always had an adventurous spirit, and that’s what brought me Alaska in the first place. But now, after 8 long, cold, dark winters I’m ready to seriously look into another place to call home.

I really have searched all over these forums (and I’ve found a few communities that appeal to me - so I'm curious what will be recommended), but I still have more questions. Here are a few key characteristics that I am looking for in a future community…

*Affordable – specifically where 3-4 bedroom homes can be purchased for less than 200K, preferably much less (maybe closer to 160K!) I would love to find a family home on a street with lots of big, old trees. I could ‘do’ the brand-new-suburban-track-home, but I would really love a neighborhood with style; ooh, yes, style would be nice! Size of community is pretty flexible – small, medium, large – it’s all good!

*College/university town - I’m pretty liberal and would prefer the progressive culture that often comes along with such a community. Also, my husband currently works for a university and he enjoys working in the ‘college admissions’ environment.

*Pretty setting! This is open for interpretation; I can appreciate many types of “pretty,” but I need to see hills or mountains in the near (if not immediate) vicinity.

*Northern US – whether northwest or northeast or somewhere in the middle… the southern humidity does not appeal to me. If I’m mistaken and there are communities in the south that aren’t super humid, I’d definitely be open the idea of anything.

…OK, that’s that! I might think of more questions soon.

Thanks again for reading this long post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
If you can live without hills, I'd recommend Iowa City, Bloomington IL, Bloomington IN or Champaign/Urbana IL. Madison and Ann Arbor would be great options but for the fact that housing cannot easily be found within your budget. If you can stretch the housing budget a little, I'd put those two at the top of your list. Some issues with the other recommendations (with the possible exception of Bloomington IL) is that the overall political climate leans a little conservative, and the liberalism exists mostly within the academic bubble surrounding the university.

Another possible suggestion would be Asheville NC. Yeah it's in "the south" but it's up in the mountains a bit, at an elevation that makes the summers a lot more temperate than the Carolina lowlands. Even though you may have a little trouble finding housing within your budget, it's the best combination of university town, liberalism, relative affordability, scenery (some of the best in the country) and non-brutal summer weather that I can think of. Knoxville TN might also work.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
Asheville, NC is a great option! It's very eclectic and cool.
I'll also recommend Columbia, MO. Beautiful area.
For mountain views, try the Idaho cities...Moscow is supposed to be fairly liberal.

Madison and Ann Arbor are likely too expensive. Madison especially (in addition to the higer costs, WI has high property taxes).

Old 04-14-2008, 12:38 PM

85 posts, read 299,555 times
Oxford, MS

Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you can live without hills, I'd recommend Iowa City, Bloomington IL, Bloomington IN or Champaign/Urbana IL. Madison and Ann Arbor would be great options but for the fact that housing cannot easily be found within your budget. If you can stretch the housing budget a little, I'd put those two at the top of your list. Some issues with the other recommendations (with the possible exception of Bloomington IL) is that the overall political climate leans a little conservative, and the liberalism exists mostly within the academic bubble surrounding the university.
I meant to say Bloomington IN in the highlighted portion above, not Bloomington IL.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,940,745 times
What about the areas around Kent or Athens Ohio???? I know NE Ohio is very affordable (the Youngstown/Warren metro has the cheapest housing in the US).

I would look into these areas and schools:
Ohio Universities, Top Universities Kent State

City of Kent, Ohio

Kent, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Athens Ohio

Athens, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ohio University

Welcome to Youngstown State University-Home Page

Youngstown, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Youngstown, Ohio

Welcome to MahoningValley.Info, all about Youngstown, Ohio, Mahoning, Trumbull & Columbiana Counties - About the Mahoning Valley I think you'll find that the Youngstown suburbs are very affordable and safe and most have very good school districts. As for hills, we have plenty around here and the Mahoning Valley is located an hour away from both Pittsburgh and Cleveland off of I-80.

Good luck on your search!!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
The first 3 describe St. Louis, but it can get hot there in the summer.

But St. Louis has some nice old neighorhoods that are affordable. Public schools are an issue, though.

Here's a cute one: 3 BR 1.5 bath in South St. Louis, which is generally a good area.
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate
$135k

3 BR, 2 BA, $175k Tower Grove East area
Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate

Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,866 times
The midwest is filled with cities like this. I should add...
Lawrence, Kan. - Great music scene, academia. A little nicer scenically than the rest of Kansas.
LaCrosse, Wis. - Nestled in the bluffs of the Mississippi. Two good sized schools (Viterbo and Univ. of Wisc. at LaCrosse). Historic and vibrant downtown.
Duluth, Minn. - Pittsburgh built America, but Duluth built Pgh. The city is feels much larger than it is. Inexpensive. Gourgeous spot on Lake Superior, hilly terrain (even w. in the city). All of Saint Louis County is blue-collar liberal, even the little towns. UMD and Saint Scholastica bring alot of kids.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
You pretty much just described Iowa City

Old 04-14-2008, 06:54 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times
State College, PA would be a great match for your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.