Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,097,271 times

Advertisements

It's not my favorite state, although I do like visiting. One thing you should probably know, op, is that Americans-- as a rule-- tend to like whichever state they happen to live in.

Also, be extremely skeptical of any information you get about California (or anywhere else in the US) from somebody with the moniker "LakersWon310"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:46 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
California is near dead last for me due to cost of living and traffic.

SC is the state that I like best, especially the western part of the state. I like the green scenery and weather.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 PM

403 posts, read 462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
California is hands down also the most underrated state. One looks at Northern California (think Eureka and Redding) and Southwest California (think Palm Springs and Indo) and realizes how undeveloped these regions are. Eureka has the potential to be the next Seattle of California. Indio has potential to be the next Phoenix.

California is easily the best state in the land. No other state has the landscape, weather and potential California has.

On a side note, NY's days are numbered; LA will overtake NY as the First City.
New York Metro has 7 million more people than LA metro. From 2015 to 2016 LA metro added 43,700 people. So LA has a mountain in its way as usual.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM

822 posts, read 859,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Cities like New York and London are just so bloody busy though, and there's only ever one pace - 100mph. I can understand the appeal of the city, the hustle and bustle is great and many places are open all night. I don't mind being around people, but in cities it can be too much and apart from parks, there's zero places to just go and chill in tranquility. Would you say you prefer city life then? Massachusetts is mainly cities isn't it? The main city I know of is Boston.
No .. MA isn't mainly cities ...

Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 PM

405 posts, read 476,891 times
If it weren't for the crazy, over the top, extreme liberal attitudes, crazy taxes and regulations, horrendous traffic and atrocious cost of living, California would be easily top 3. It honestly is a shame because the climate, food, and scenery are all outstanding.

However, in my opinion, I think states like Arizona, Texas, Florida, and the Carolinas give California a run for it's money, while all being politically moderate for the most part, having warm climates, better locations, and average/below average cost of living.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM

102 posts, read 124,250 times
OP - California is great for scenery, weather, culture, bad for politics and taxes. I live here, and I have a hard time thinking of living anywhere else, even with the many complaints I have politically. The places you mentioned as other contenders are great, too. The American West is humongous, full of beautiful country, great people, great cities. When you visit, spend a long time here and see as much as you can, then come back and see the Midwest, then come back and see the East coast... If you like the Wild West you should definitely check out Colorado and Wyoming.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:06 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
If it weren't for the crazy, over the top, extreme liberal attitudes, crazy taxes and regulations, horrendous traffic and atrocious cost of living, California would be easily top 3. It honestly is a shame because the climate, food, and scenery are all outstanding.

However, in my opinion, I think states like Arizona, Texas, Florida, and the Carolinas give California a run for it's money, while all being politically moderate for the most part, having warm climates, better locations, and average/below average cost of living.
There's absolutely nothing moderate about Texas politics. It's California's hard-right-wing mirror image. Democrats haven't held statewide office in Texas in nearly two decades.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
Quote:
California is hands down also the most underrated state. One looks at Northern California (think Eureka and Redding) and Southwest California (think Palm Springs and Indo) and realizes how undeveloped these regions are. Eureka has the potential to be the next Seattle of California. Indio has potential to be the next Phoenix.

California is easily the best state in the land. No other state has the landscape, weather and potential California has.

How can LA overtake NYC? It's a giant suburb

Old 05-16-2017, 11:00 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:

8.5 million people living in NYC, 23.8 million metro area alone which is way more L.A city proper and metro area.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:22 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Also, thanks for not making this a "California is totally the best state and states like Texas are boring and sucky and too conservative blah blah blah dont' you agree?" thread. There's been too many troll threads like that, which gives Californians a bad reputation.
I don't think Texas crosses the mind of a Californian. It's a one sided rivalry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.